Combat improvements discussion

Started by Carnage, February 06, 2004, 07:14:08 PM

Personallly I don't have a problem with half-giants being uber subduers. Maybe it's from seeing Dark Sun pics where the races are like all lined up... anyway...

Unless they've got surprise (subduer attacking while hidden), an unarmed person should risk getting hit by an armed opponent. Don't believe me? Get a bat and have a friend try to grapple you. (I am not responsible for the wrestler getting hurt by this experiment.) The result of that hit would then affect the subdue attempt... If the wrestler is awesome and gets inside without getting hit, fine. If they are hit lightly the sudbue has a reduced chance of success. If the attack cleans their clock, it would make the subdue fail, and the wrestler would find themselves engaged with an armed opponent. That's the breaks!

Thoughts?
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I'm all for that.  Yep. All for it.

Going back to what Gilvar said regarding delays and NPCs...

Does anyone know what the issue is there? Why -don't- NPCs get delayed where PC's do? It must be some manner of coding issue.

It's a problem from anything from the way soldiers are super-duper fast with the sheath, subdue, fail, attack (which is INSANE to watch happen - as a PC soldier, I once saw a soldier sheath weapons, fail a subdue, draw weapons, attack, shout for help, get help from other NPCs who insta-attacked upon entering a room, all in one round of combat - the criminal never had a chance to even swing his weapon, much less draw it - he was dead before I could even assist), to npcs who can be ordered to pilot a wagon (suddenly you're zipping across the world faster than you can imagine).

I'd so much rather see this fixed over seeing half-giants get tooled down. Basically because -everyone- is affected by it. Because you know that raptor you fled from is spamming hunt with no delay, and that gith can throw a spear at you, run in, attack you and disarm you all in one fluid, godlike movement.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

SailorMars, precisely.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quotegfair wrote:
Is this remotely true? A half-giant is about twice as tall as a man, so his wrist is twice the diameter of a 6.25 foot man. That is big, but nowhere near a torso.

That is, unless half-giants are barrel-fisted cave trolls.

Heh? Um, Gfair, A half-giant is around 2.5-3 times as tall as a man and 10-12 times heavier. Call it 15' tall and 1800-2200 lbs, Grizzly bears don't get that big, The Shire drafthorse is around that size.

The wrist of a half-giant would be around 4-6x the thickness of a 6' man, minimum. Say about as thick as the ave human thigh.

And really, Anybody who argues about half-giants, please, go out and find an animal of matching size here on earth and spend some time around it before posting. Most of the large animals on this planet are far from agile, but sheer mass and strength make up for that. Maybe take a hit from a half-giant sized animal, I'm betting if you took a kick from a clydsdale you'd have more respect for the speed and strength of massive animals after you got out of the hospital.

Fact is, the closest earth match for a half-giant is a grizzly or north american brown bear, agil? NO, strong VERY, big, yup. Fast? Yup. Does human with a sword and in full armor have chance against  him, NOPE. Oh, he would hit the grizzly once, sure, then the grizzly is going to sweep a paw at him powered by muscles that carry that 1800 pound animal, a paw as big as a human's chest, with 8' of reach at a blinding speed, This paw is able to break the back of a moose in one swipe. Or maybe the grizzly would simply push off with his two massive rear legs jumping forward with both forlegs spread wide (a distance of around 10 feet between paws) Bashing into said human with his full weight and wrapping his forlegs around the human.

Point is, Currently in game, the overall mass strength and size of a half-giant is not reflected, Half-giants currently do hit hard, but the mass of the hit is not reflected, the hit of a half-giant against anything smaller then a mul, should knock the target down, at the very least. Also, the reach and speed of a half-giant is not reflected, A human with a sword has a reach of say, 6-7' While a half-giant with a half-giant sized weapon would have a reach of 12-14' combine that with the muscle and the mass driving the swing and you would find out that the weapon's speed would be much higher then the weapon speed of a human, then take in reach and actual weapon size (Have to figure a half-giant sized warhammer would have a head the size of a barrel) This means not only would it be very hard to get out of the way of a half-giant's swing, but he need not be as accurate anyway since with the size of the weapon he need only swing in the general direction of the target.

Currently, in game, 90% of this is not reflected, half-giants should be easier to hit, and they are, they have low agility so they get fewer swings, this is fine too, But it should actually be easier for them to hit things, It isn't. Tell you the truth, I'd love to see half-giants get some race skills, muls too maybe. A half-giant with an elf subdued should be able to throw that elf at a wall, can't do it. Well, I'm not going to get into everything that should be doable at that size, I'm sure people have thought about them before.

On to the thread topic, I've said it before, combat in arm is fine overall, it just needs some tweeking in specialized areas, some of it has been done, the addition of the two-handed skill for one. I'd also maybe like to see a bit more attention to the racial side of things, I mean, there should be something that a d-elf can do combat wise with them incredible legs and running speed, other then run away, shorter lag on kick maybe, something, dwarves, very low the ground, heavy muscle and reasonably high weight, all the things that should make them hard to bash, yet they are the second easiest race in the game to bash. Anyway, this has become one long run on post, Think I'll just stop here.

The above was I, musta took to long to write and lagged out or something.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "UnderSeven"
I also wish it wasn't so obvious that someone was alive or dead.  I couldn't tell from a long distance away that the man lying in a pool of blood is lving and just stunned.  Actually I couldn't tell it from upclose either, I'd probably have to lean in and check for a faint pulse or a occasional wheezing breath.  I've always hated how people finish off their enemies with that one final knowing blow.  How did you know he was still alive..? How do you know that you only now finally finished him?  I think it should take a little closer scrutiny to find out if someone is alive or not beyond a certain point.

Thats a great idea. The crumpled FORM of the blonde sissy it here. Doesn't tell you one way or the other unless you do some kind of inspection possibly. Physicians can tell really well, others meh so so. The only thing making it a bad idea is that ppl will just keep typing kill sissy, and if it does damage they will know he is not dead. Also they can't look inside to see his gear. But it would be nice if someone people were actually left for dead. Ah well.

X-D, you're right on the money.

I also like the idea of SailorMars with the grapple vs armed thing... but even that would take tweaking vs HGs.  An HG, armored, is not going to give a shit that you're weilding a dagger smaller than it's pinky finger, or a longsword half the size of his/her forearm.  They know that if they can lay a hand on you, you belong to them.  And they also know, if they have a militia 'controller' or something, that if they DONT grab you because they're afraid to get hurt, than Mr. Joe Templar over there is going to instruct them in depth upon the true meaning of pain.

And another thing that freakin trips my trigger is the idea that HGs are absolutely mindless balls of muscle.  Many of these immense creatures are bred and trained FROM BIRTH in the ways of combat.  Sure, they are not as smart as a human, but if they have been trained, they will know the concept of a feint.  They will know how to get around an armed opponent... if you take in the sheer size they have, it's easier to imagine.

A hand as large as your chest is coming at you from the left side, at about the level of your abdomen.  You are, most likely, going to react to this by dropping to a defensive back stance and attempting to parry with your piddly wussy sword... or you're going to try to get out of the way.  If you attempt to parry, you remain stationary, allowing the hand that is coming down from eight feet above you to easily grasp your head and/or shoulders.  If you try to get the hell out of the way, the HG is going to know beforehand that *most likely* you are going to try to hop backwards a few steps, and dart to your right.  A place that it could easily reach still without taking a single step.

In my opinion, HGs are not nearly powerful enough with subdue.  If you still feel the need to argue, go find yourself some construction equipment with a huge, powered clamp, get yourself in to the clamp, have a buddy in the vehicle tighten it down, and when it really doesn't feel good... try to wrestle free.

I take full responsibility for the removal of anyone dumb enough to do this from the gene pool.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

QuoteHalf giants.

Killing machines.. Hrm.. I think they're actually where they should be. One, they take hits, two if they hit they destroy you. What more do you want? Theyre bulky, there are some things they probably can't do as well as other people. Most likely when they throw a blow it goes and leaves them opened for a moment. Ever tried catching a chipmunk with your bare hands? Yes, smaller creatures do have an incredible advantage at avoiding the attacks of larger ones. (Using an extreme example)

Well said.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "UnderSeven"Killing machines.. Hrm.. I think they're actually where they should be.  One, they take hits, two if they hit they destroy you.  What more do you want?  Theyre bulky, there are some things they probably can't do as well as other people. Most likely when they throw a blow it goes and leaves them opened for a moment.  Ever tried catching a chipmunk with your bare hands?  Yes, smaller creatures do have an incredible advantage at avoiding the attacks of larger ones.  (Using an extreme example)

Your analogy is flawed and worthless.

If I tried to catch a chipmunk I'd fail because it would see me ten feet away and run up a tree.  Trees are rare on Zalanthas, and even in places where they are present, humans generally don't run up them.

If a chipmunk and myself attempted to fight to the death, then believe me, I would kill that chipmunk.  If it had a chipmunk-sized dagger, then I would still kill that fucking chipmunk.

As X-D has already detailed, a better analogy would be to pit a human against a grizzly bear dressed in heavy armor.
Back from a long retirement

Evilroeslade beat me to that one.

QuoteIf a chipmunk and myself attempted to fight to the death, then believe me, I would kill that chipmunk. If it had a chipmunk-sized dagger, then I would still kill that fucking chipmunk
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I just had a discussion with X-D that kind of readjusted my scales.
For all the time I'm playing, I've had a problem imagining sizes and distances between ic/ooc US/ooc metric measurements.
His excellent hint was to regard a stone like a kilo, and three cords to the meter.
I already liked his grizzly comparision, but through a few pictures he made it a lot more real to me. We agreed that I'd share the links, so here they are...
The first impression he gave me was Andre the giant, and that guy is still about 1/3 of the average -big- HG.
But even like this, his hand over a human face is a scaring sight
Now add that HG-s start at above 3meter and 750kg, and his comparision with the Kodiak bear makes for a scaring impression.
QuoteThe Kodiak bear, or big brown bear, is the largest living member of the Carnivora, sometimes reaching a length of 9 ft (2.7 m), a shoulder height of 4 1/2 ft (140 cm), and a weight of over 1,600 lb (730 kg).
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

Also keep in mind, A kodiak standing on hind legs fully upright reaches a height of 12-15 feet. Making them a good comparasin to Zalanthas half-giants.
Lizzie:

Half-giants are between 120 and 150 inches, according to help half_giant. This is ten to twelve  and a half feet. They're smaller than you're all claiming. gfair's contention that their wrists would be twice the diameter seems to make perfect sense in this context, I have no idea where the 4-6 times the thickness came from.

Moreover, grizzly bears wouldn't rank as having poor agility. Half-giants are clumsy and uncoordinated, "slow to move" according to the help files.

They are not insanely thick-skinned either - there's no documentation to suggest so. A blow that would lop off a normal human's head would have a decent attempt at taking off a half-giant's hand if it entered at the right angle. That said, attempting to lop off someone's head with a wood or bone sword is a very different proposition from using a metal one.

I figure that the half-giant's huge ability to swallow damage would let them take a pounding yet still subdue, and that would reflect realism best. They're already combat monsters, I don't know what people are complaining about. I had a half-giant warrior who at 1 day old was a match for tarantulas and similar perils. It takes a lot longer for a human to stand a chance against them.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"They are not insanely thick-skinned either - there's no documentation to suggest so. A blow that would lop off a normal human's head would have a decent attempt at taking off a half-giant's hand if it entered at the right angle.

Perhaps there may be no documentation to support the claim, but there is none to disprove it either. Let's not make a decision until an immortal steps and and resolves that issue.

But, we can still consider this: Braxat and half-giants are closely related. Now one given difference is the fact that braxat have a chitinous shell on their backs. -But-, they do have very thick hides, and can take a lick on their unprotected skin without much harm. Perhaps it's -possible- that half giants may have this same trait?

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"Perhaps there may be no documentation to support the claim, but there is none to disprove it either. Let's not make a decision until an immortal steps and and resolves that issue.

There's no documentation to disprove the notion that Zalanthan elves have hair growing on the soles of their feet, or three lungs, or that their legs are set with backwards-bending knees. I wouldn't give any more credence to those notions either.

Braxats are not related to half-giants, and I've seen no documentation that suggests so (unless you're going to suggest the documentation doesn't disprove it). They are humanoids of a similar size, but there the relationship ends.

Finally, just a little thought experiment on half-giants and subdue. Relative size/mass wise, it's rather like Andre the giant facing off against a child of eleven or twelve. The child however has a sharp weapon which it can use skillfully. I would venture to suggest that although our Andre may overpower the kid, the odds are that he will suffer substantial damage in the process - unless of course Andre is wearing thick armour that the child is not strong enough to pierce.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

I hate to agree with Quirk, so I'll be sure to toss in a disagreement later on.  

I think half giants are unto braxat about as much as gith are unto elves at most.  The help files say they have a POSSIBLE (the helpfiles don't even say a confirmed yes) DISTANT relation.  So maybe a half giant sorc about three thousand years ago got down with a gurth.  The point?  If they are related, the hard skin would be the gene that came from the gross beastality crossbreading and not the half giant relation.

Okay, now the Andre the giant thing.  A twelve year old?  Come on Quirk, way to put an image into my head. We have a pro wrestler against a child who probably never fought a day in his life.  Oh yes, and give him something pointy.  

Lets even the playing field a little more.  The problem with short people, is they're not really fast.  They're under developed.  In arm the short people (in a half giant's eyes) are well adapted for being fast and getting the fuck out of the way.. and being slippery.  I'll buy that a half giant should be able to swallow damage and then grab someone if they don't mind taking hits in the process.  But I'll also buy that person would still have a chance to realize what the half giant is up to and get out of the way.

What I'd like to see is this:

Defense play some role and if you try to subdue someone who's fighting you that they get to whack the fuck out of you first.

QuoteHalf-giants are between 120 and 150 inches, according to help half_giant. This is ten to twelve and a half feet. They're smaller than you're all claiming. gfair's contention that their wrists would be twice the diameter seems to make perfect sense in this context, I have no idea where the 4-6 times the thickness came from.

Where did it come from? First there actually is a scientific system to calculate mass and sizes on living things, how much something would need to support given weight, yadda yadaa, I can't find it at the moment, so, I went off the game stats.

Assume 12' feet tall, and 90 tenstone, a tenstone, we will use 25lbs, so, 90 times 25 equals 2,250 lbs. Now, if we assume the ave human at 190 lbs in arm that means that a half-giant is 12 times the weight, 2 times the height, so, I divided the two giving a probable size, then figured out the low end of the half-giant scale in game, wich ended up with 4-6 times.

Which, is acceptable, because as I said, there is actually a system for figuring out the sizes needed for endoskeleyal and exoskeletal animals.

But even without that, Just how thick do you think the bones would have to be to support that kind of mass, how much muscle would be needed to move it easily and still have power left over?

Also, to answer the lopping off of parts, actually, that is mildly hard to do on a man sized animal with a steel sword, change it over to an armored animal 10 times the size of a man and you using a light bone sword, heh.

One reason why the kodiak makes a good subject model for real life comparasin to half-giants, look at a kodiak's neck and tell me if you think you could hack through it in a single swing of a rather light and relativly dull bone sword.

QuoteMoreover, grizzly bears wouldn't rank as having poor agility. Half-giants are clumsy and uncoordinated, "slow to move" according to the help files.

Quirk, your definition of agility must be different or something, don't know if you've ever seen a kodiak in action close up, but they definitly cannot be considered agile, fast and powerful, yes, agil, heh.
And the helpfiles state slow to move, not move slowly, these are two different things, the slow to move means more time till action is taken, not that the action itself takes more time.
Lizzie:

Quote from: "Quirk"Half-giants are between 120 and 150 inches, according to help half_giant. This is ten to twelve  and a half feet. They're smaller than you're all claiming. gfair's contention that their wrists would be twice the diameter seems to make perfect sense in this context, I have no idea where the 4-6 times the thickness came from.

The average half-giant also weighs between 1,875 and 2,250 pounds.  Compared to the average Zalanthian human, which weighs between 150 and 225 pounds.  That's a lot of bone and muscle mass for their size.  A whole hell of a lot.

Chop off a half-giants head?  Even if you could reach it (which you can't!), you'd probably need to hack at the neck ten to twenty times, less if you've got an obsidian sword.  If they're wearing a gorget, you can forget the whole thing.

If I was a military commander in Zalanthas, tasked with taking down a combat-ready half-giant, then I would have at least five men going against it, and I would accept that there would be casualties.  One person against a half-giant would have to spend too much time dodging to ever manage to get into its massive reach.

Oh, and the whole Princess Bride analogy... its a fucking movie.  You can't use as a base for your arguements on realism and what have you.

Safe to say the results of Andre the Giant versus my kid sister with a kitcheon knife may never be known. Here's some other ideas that may be wisdom or folly (you decide). :)

1a) I remember not so long ago the idea of disarm advancing to the point where you could attempt to target the direction in which you disarmed your foes weapon. It was also suggested up/down be added to the potential directions a weapon could fly, in general. I liked both of those ideas. Of course, as with all really nifty skills, you don't want everyone put near and their gortok having them. Figure with avg. Wis such a thing coming into play after 30, 40, 50 days play time, or more.

1b) Changing disarm so if, after the point both people can reverse, instead of having both people try to reverse, just have it work normally.  Reverse, reverse, reverse, over and over seems odd. I'd figure two evenly-matched masters just normally disarm/kick/bashing each other, perhaps with a small random chance of a reversal. In other words, taking into account relative skill levels regarding reversals.

2) How about sunder? Right now if you're really strong there's a chance your weapon will shatter. What about if you're really strong, there's a chance you'll SMASH someone's weapon if they parry you. Make weapon type have a role (bludgeoning being the best at breaking things), and even give 2-hand wielders a little plus. Even with both, it would happen -very- infrequently, but sometimes. For those that cast their vote in favor of half-giants being even tougher, don't blame me if this catches on...

3) I liked the idea of turning kick into strike, and changing around the echoes so they didn't imply a hit location. That way you could emote what kind of strike it was, and Hannibal the Anklebiter wouldn't be able  to kick half-giants in the head.

4) More degrees of advanced coolness and branching. Even if very minor, it's so damn fun to discover you can do new things. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread for this one... :)
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Chop off a half-giants head?  Even if you could reach it (which you can't!), you'd probably need to hack at the neck ten to twenty times, less if you've got an obsidian sword.  If they're wearing a gorget, you can forget the whole thing.

While I wouldn't disagree with that point, I would like to remind you that I was talking about lopping off a half-giant's hand, not their head. And yes, even a strong man attempting to do that with a bone sword would likely have a lot of difficulty severing it completely.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Oh, and the whole Princess Bride analogy... its a fucking movie.  You can't use as a base for your arguements on realism and what have you.

It's mentioned purely to bring up the relative size angle. To hear some people talk in here, half-giants are three times the size of humans with torso-sized hands and can just reach over the top and pick people up by their heads. This does not fit with the docs' opinions on their size.

Lastly, nothing in any of the docs suggests that half-giants are fast, merely that they're insanely powerful.

Quirk

Quote from: "Quirk"It's mentioned purely to bring up the relative size angle. To hear some people talk in here, half-giants are three times the size of humans with torso-sized hands and can just reach over the top and pick people up by their heads. This does not fit with the docs' opinions on their size.

Have you ever looked at an NPC half-giant soldier in Allanak?  Apparently not.  It specifically mentions hands the size of a man's chest.  A half-giant has double the height of a human, and roughly ten times the weight.  It doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me.

Now, if a human was ten feet tall, they would most likely weigh 600-800 pounds.  According to exponential growth, when height increases by a multiple, mass must increase by the proportionate square root.  Therefore, a height double the size of a human would suggest a mass four times greater than a human.  Half-giants have a HELL OF A LOT of mass that their height wouldn't suggest.

Quote from: "Quirk"Lastly, nothing in any of the docs suggests that half-giants are fast, merely that they're insanely powerful.

The documentation never mentions the laws of physics either, so I can only assume that they are all still in effect.  To do the damage they do, a half-giant has to be able to move quickly.  There would be a larger time between attacks yes, but when a half-giant is actually attacking, she's doing it fast.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Now, if a human was ten feet tall, they would most likely weigh 600-800 pounds.  According to exponential growth, when height increases by a multiple, mass must increase by the proportionate square root.  Therefore, a height double the size of a human would suggest a mass four times greater than a human.  Half-giants have a HELL OF A LOT of mass that their height wouldn't suggest.

The cube, not the square root. It's in three dimensions and growing rather than decreasing. That makes for a factor of eight. Andre the Giant was five hundred pounds at seven foot four - scaling up from there to ten feet and keeping similar human proportions would make for a weight of about 1300 pounds. Half-giants are evidently rather broader as well based on that, so a wrist four times thicker may be about right, though six would seem encroaching on excessive - going from four times the thickness to six times would be increasing the cross-sectional area more than twice.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"The documentation never mentions the laws of physics either, so I can only assume that they are all still in effect.  To do the damage they do, a half-giant has to be able to move quickly.  There would be a larger time between attacks yes, but when a half-giant is actually attacking, she's doing it fast.

Not really. Their arms are ten times the weight of a human arm, and one would assume the weapons they're using are adjusted similarly (yes, I know that's not how the code works, but it's how things should be). The impact made will be a function of the weight x the speed that weight travels at. The damage they do is less than ten times what a human does. This argues that all that weight is actually travelling at a slower speed than an equivalent human arm movement and, given the length of the half-giant arm, a vastly slower rotational speed.

Quirk

Quote from: "Quirk"Not really. Their arms are ten times the weight of a human arm, and one would assume the weapons they're using are adjusted similarly (yes, I know that's not how the code works, but it's how things should be). The impact made will be a function of the weight x the speed that weight travels at. The damage they do is less than ten times what a human does. This argues that all that weight is actually travelling at a slower speed than an equivalent human arm movement and, given the length of the half-giant arm, a vastly slower rotational speed.

Quirk

You're wrongly assuming that the code is correctly portraying the reality.  If a half-giant could do ten times the damage minus the proportion of the reduced speed, it would also serve to reason that they have ten times as many hit points as a human.  Right now they have a little less than twice the hit-points of a human, which would suggest they have such a frail mass that they shouldn't be able to stand upright.

But even that's invalid, since humans have too many hit-points and weapons do too little damage when compared to an equivalent real-life scenario.

The point is, you can't take data from the code and pretend it has any realistic implications whatsoever.

I'm not going to argue or read the whole form, but rather I'll tell about the various things in real life I've noticed through EXPERIENCE in the real world of weapon fighting and training.

Kendo - Samurai 2 handed sword fighting with a sharp blade specifically designed for 1 cut 1 kill. Often times, samurai would only use 1 hand for
quick purposes, and the other would be grasping their sheath.

In kendo, 1 cut 1 kill is a saying often used to describe how it's trainers go about fighting.

The sword is designed with only 1 sharp side, but its edge could easily slice through bone with little effort.

Not only swords were used, but polearms consiting of a blade at the top of a rod are used.

In this style of fighting, the object is to acomplish as many cuts as posible on your opponent, but keep your distance as well to avoid certain death.

Since 1 cut could easily kill or perminently disable a person rendering him useless for the rest of his life, distances are of key importance. The first distance to understand is the length of both fighters weapons added together. This distance is the area needed to clear if one was to attack. The next distance is the farthest one can step while still keeping balance. One large step with a slice can clear the distance of the two weapons and reach the opponent with the attackers weapon. The third distance is an average step much smaller than the second distance. When fighting, one of these could mean narowly missing being hit.

More info can be found at: http://www.cam.org/~hiro/skc/english/hypertext/kendo.html
or by making a search on google with the word kendo.
---------------

Swords and Shields - Roman legion fighting/ Greek/ Mediteranian groups even up to scottland and wales - This type of combat utilizes a shield to deflect attacks, a sword is then used to attack by hacking away at opponents and stabbing into weak points in armor.

This type of combat was used all over the mediteranian region.

In typical battle, the shield is utelized to protect the body and wear out the oponent in the process.

The types all range from Roman Legions with great shields used to pretect the whole body from any kind of attack, to the greek hoplite whose light weight enabled the fighter to utilize speed better in their attacks.

This type of fighting is based primarily on who has better lighter armor than the opponent, as well as whose weapon was better for breaking through that armor. The end of the battle occures when either fighter tires to a point where they are unable to defend themselves, a weakness is found in the opponents armor and a quick stab renders them dead, or when emense hacking causes armor to fall apart exposing the body to weapon.

more info can be found at: http://webpages.charter.net/brueggeman/table-of-contents.html or on searches containg: Hoplite, mediteranian war, roman legions, etc. Or general topics about various peoples of the region.

-----------

Fencing- Claymores, rapiers and the like - This type of fighting is primarily a "good mans" fighting due to the amount of rules involved. A Light quick sword is used to parry blows, as well as quickly stab opponents.

Fencing was primarily used inside public areas and never used for waring purposes.

Fencing is quick fast pased and alows it's fighters to obtain balance for other tricks while fighting.

Nimbility and Agility are used to quickly fight in smaller of areas like the streets of cities or on ships, and escape from various certain deaths.

More info can be found through searches on fencing
--------------------

Wood Raiders - Axe fighting in scotland - This type of fighting was commonly used by the woodsmen and hunters in scotland. It was developed into a fighting style when the scots began fighting under braveheart. It's uses were due to the fact that scots weren't trained in fighting, but were rather woodsmen that were skilled with the axe.

Axe fighting requires both muscle, agility, and cordination to penitrate various types of armor.

Axe fighters were usually the larger of men in a croud while the hefty muscle they sported.

Axe fighting is more of a beserking type of fighting due to that it has no rules and was used primarily for large battles in which it's fighters could send several men flying with one swing.

----------------

Anglo Saxorny - Mounted sword fighting - Saxonry was a combination of fencing and sword and shield fighting.

Anglo Saxons used a claymore or form of broadsword while mounted on a horse. This allowed for fighters to travel great distances in short amounts of time, while still fighting in large masses.

Saxonry was popular in the Great Brittian reagion, as well as some of the german nomadic groups that lived around that area. These german nomads weren't called saxons, but followed a similar type of fighting.

Several Middle east areas used similar methods while riding camels in the desert.

-----------------

Knights - Mounted lance fighting - Knights were a major calvery unit used to charge the frontlines and demolish large armies in minimal time.

Knights used several Anglo saxonry methods, but the most popular of weapon was the lance. Lances were long poles able to gore opponents while on horseback.

Knights were developed after the anglo saxon, but were based on them and therefore also used swords when horseback failed.

Look up on Knights for more info
------------------------

There are several other types I'll include, and will be back later today to explain them

This is long enough post as it is lol
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict