Weekly Update Sticky???

Started by sarahjc, February 05, 2004, 02:02:37 PM

Would you be in favor of a weekly update sticky?

Yay
44 (73.3%)
Nay
16 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: February 05, 2004, 02:02:37 PM

Would you be in favor of a weekly update sticky, maybe on the General Discussion board above the archive..

I know I woud like it..

:D
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

This is a great idea!  People who are just "glancing" at the game or don't yet feel the need to actually subscribe to a weekly update could see all that goes on during the week.  I think it would add to our advertisment and player retention.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

How about a whole new section to the Forum?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"How about a whole new section to the Forum?

Ooohh... :o

But that may be a lot of work... :?
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!

No.

Within a few weeks a sticky would become a confusing mess of updates, discussion and witty quips.  No help at all for newbies.  A new discussion for each week's update, if needed, is a far better option.

A sticky topic would be useful only if it was in the Staff Anouncements forum.  There would be no discussion, only the parade of updates, perhaps with a pointer to the webpage that archives the old updates.  Then again, since the topic would be updated once a week, there would be no need for it to be sticky.

No sticky.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Hmmm how so?

Wouldn't it just be a running post? I imagine there has to be a way to mark a sticky as readable by all by writeable by only imms.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I was going along those lines as well Jmordestky.. I would think that a sticky that would not allow posts from players would be the way to handle it..

Put it in Staff Announcments.  Staff can post, non-staff can not.

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum
                                  You cannot edit your posts in this forum
                                  You cannot delete your posts in this forum

You can vote in polls in this forum

In the Staff Announcment forum there would be no need for the topic to be sticky, stickiness would be redundant.  There are few posts per week in that forum, so the thread would never drop off the first page.

Vote no on Sticky in 2004!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yeah, but a sticky would always be at the top of the page, nice and neat, always looking good with it's little splat.  I will never have to search in despair for the sticky. What if there is an HRPT and all the nobles and merchants die.. tons of staff announcements then??

A sticky insures the survival of the thread..

I mean that's like saying that the Derailment experiment shouldn't be a sticky, that is always being updated as well??

Stickys are just better..

Vote Sticky YES in 2004!!!

Yes, sticky is cool.  However, if -everything- is sticky, then sticky loses all meaning and utility.  A sticky will not be at the top of the page if there are several other sticky items there already.  It isn't an issue in the OOC forum because nothing there merits stickification, so there will never be more than a couple sticky threads.

Stop sticky proliferation now!

Vote no to Sticky 2004!

AC

I wonder if Al Gore would break with the customary and and endorse the sticky.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

True, but if it is something as valuable as the weekly update, I think it warrants a sticky.. and deep down inside, I think you want to agree AC.

I mean you could just make a thread on the Staff board, but why not a Sticky? Honestly i think a sticky grabs the eye more.. Especially for newbies.. As they are looking to those things that are sticky'd, because only really important things get stickys.

Sans the Derailment experiment, most sticky items are rules and regualtions of some kind. I think that the Weekly update warrants that kind of attention..

Who's with me!!

Vote Sticky YES in 2004!!!!

If it were to be on the boards it would probably be a sticky thread in the Staff Announcement board, so it couldn't be replied to by everyone.

Already the one that was attempted to be started on the general board(?) I think, had like 1 update, then two pages of people talking about brawling or something, and then the next one... not really productive.

So yeah, it would probably be on the Staff announcement board.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"No.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Moderators can also simply lock the sticky thread when it doesn't need updating.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Quote from: "Gilvar"If it were to be on the boards it would probably be a sticky thread in the Staff Announcement board, so it couldn't be replied to by everyone.

To post the weekly update should be only information. So I would vote for this idea too. We could ( and we will!  :wink: ?) discuss the single topics on the other forums.
And we should post it! It will stop the every week question. "Where is my weekly update?". I like the updates, but I don't need it as a mail.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Doesn't anyone think we have enough shit to read on the GDB?  We need more?  People can't subscribe?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Wouldn't just be easier if you didn't have too? Sure I supose we all have enough shit to read, but the update is actually worth reading..

Why not have it readily available without subscribing??

Vote Sticky YES in 2004!!!

Quote from: "sarahjc"Sure I supose we all have enough shit to read...

That's exactly the point.

Way too much -shit- on the GDB.  Adding something else, albeit something actually worth reading, is still adding more shit. If you wanna know what's on the update, subscribe.

Quote from: "2 Lazy 2 Login ShaL"If you wanna know what's on the update, subscribe.

If you want to post, log in.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

The whole point, ShaLeah, of people requesting a weekly update posted on the GDB, is that a whole lot of subscribers haven't been getting them.

I subscribe, and I didn't get the e-mail for this week. It could be that none was sent. I don't have hotmail so I know that isn't it.

Rather than 100 or 200 or 500 people each getting an e-mail, why -not- post once and people who want to read, can read? And what about people who don't even play the game yet? How great would it be for those folks who are deciding if they want to play, to see a sticky showing them how hard, and how much, work the staff does every week?

For people looking for other games because the staff in their own game is lacking, it could definitely be a deciding factor. Why would they subscribe to a weekly update about a game they aren't even playing, and don't even know if they want to play?  And given the current problems with e-mails, why would they decide to play, if subscribing results in no weekly update?
At least with the GDB, if the update isn't posted, there's still tons of other stuff they can read, and still not be committed to playing or having an account in the game.

So I could subscribe to get more e:mail that I already get enough of.. Or I could look at a informative sticky.. posted on a board -full- of information about the game?? Which is -why- the board is here isn't it? To discuss and provide information about the game.

Hrmm..

Just doesn't make sense to me.. *shrug*

Calling the weekly update junk and stating that there is far too much junk on the board is like saying that there is one too many flakes in your bowl of cereal..

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people didn't even know about the weekly update until it was posted here..And as Bestatte stated amongst other fine points, what happens when people don't get it, via email, which is why this discussion was started..

My point is, it holds a lot of information that is really good to know. Why not make it easily accessible? What is the purpose of having the hassle of  subscribing if most people want to see it?? Just keep it on the board..

Not to mention that then there would be a steady archive as well..

Vote Sticky YES 2004!!

There's a link to the archived updates within the main web page. Click on Community Resources and then Weekly Update Archive.  *shrug*  I still disagree.

ShaL
-who will continue to post without logging in, despite what little dancing pigs say.   :wink:

Last weekly update on the archives page: May 4, 2003
I dont think that is very useful
ugar and Spice

Quote from: "Bardex"Last weekly update on the archives page: May 4, 2003
I dont think that is very useful

Clearly they haven't received their majordomo updates either.  Maybe we should whip majordomo into submission... or update that page.   :shock: