Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, January 24, 2004, 11:24:03 PM

Rez, or no?

Yes.
51 (83.6%)
No.
10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: January 24, 2004, 11:24:03 PM

I am wondering something. Do we still have that three-hour ressurection gate? That is something that I think should ultimately be abolished. It kind of puts the PC who just died in a very strange position. It's a very OOC convention, as well.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've never been three hour rezed and I would agree with you 7, except foir the fact that I think it helps for newbies who don't even remotely grasp the game yet.  I think that's why it's here anyway.

I've had multiple people that I've introduced to the game get 3-hour rezzed.  It's usually something that you get over after the first character or so.  Even after that, though, something could still go horribly wrong and leave you quite dead within your first hour of playing time which wouldn't be much fun after you spent all that time drawing up a character and getting it approved.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Maybe allow it for a new player's first PC only.

Sorry, but I think it's a nice feature for people who are just starting out. It would seem a bit harsh to not have it, imo, because it would put a strain on players who are already having problems with the scope of the game.

My one gripe with it is that the echos should make clear that what's going on is a very OOC thing. I get a rather bad vibe from our current ones, and am sure it's at least as jolting to the truly new:

QuoteA bright light fills your vision.
When it clears, you find yourself standing on a plane of fog.

A cold voice booms in your ears,
  'You have been spared from death.'

After a seeming eternity, the cold voice continues,
  'this once.  Know that when next you stand before me, it will be the last.'

Could make you feel like a Chosen!

I know it still works. It has to stay, cause it is the only way to keep new players playing. If they don't understand and stuff. Just think they are crazy and rp with them and help them out, it is great help in the long run. After I helped out a guy, who was running around in 'nak bleeding to death, saying that he died. I was able to cope and rp with him, and I got some feedback form an immortal. So it is all for the good.
uppers.

My best PC died within the three hour limit, i came back and she kicked butt for 5 IC years.

Im very glad that Rezz thing exists, and it would be a massive shame if it was removed. My only point of it is i think PCs should come back with clothing!
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

I voted for Rez, simply because it was the most fun console game I've ever played.

As far as it applies to Armageddon, why not?  It's not like a second chance to play some uber, skill-maxxed, twinked warrior.  It allows you to recover from extreme stupidity, when your character is still useless, worthless, and dumb.

Additionally, it's crucial for new MUDders from H&S ports.  Is death really that bad?  Holy *kank droppings*, it is!  Better be more careful this time around.

[segue]

If this little help, the rez, is extremely useful, maybe you should think about trying to let your characters live longer.  I've seen some typo'd sdescs come through the grinder, and I blame it on the prodigious number of new apps every week.  Yes, Arm is paced slowly.  When the big *kank droppings* happens, and you're a part of it, perhaps even being in command, it's memorable.  Being killed by a tarantuala isn't.

Well, don't take my word for it.  Find out for yourself.  If you have fifty dead characters to your name, maybe turn an eye to my words.  The best parts of Arm only happen with the oldest characters.

[/segue]

--Zach

I agree with anarchy, you should at least get clothes after being ressurected or whatever you like to call it. Running around the bazaar naked with no clothes, money or travel cakes seems sort of strange.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

I think it should load you with pants. Thats  the only complaint I have. I also think you should be able to decide NOT to come back if you so choose.

On the other hand my 100+ day char was a rez char.

I think people should get 2 hour rez's until they've had a char for over 20 hours. If they haven't had a character that's lived longer then 20 hours, they're obviously still having trouble.

*plink plink*

I didn't know the wording that came along with the event yet, thanks Northlander for sharing it.

I think the basic reasoning behind the feature makes a lot of sense, even though the ic impact can be difficult. I understand that limiting it to two hours is probably an attempt of keeping that ic impact down.

From what I have read in this thread it'd seem desirable to me if the wording were clearly ooc, possibly giving a little guideline about the ic impact, and leave a choice to the player if he wants to get this char resurrected, edit it for re-application, wish for immortal assistance or guidance, or abandon it alltogether.

The result could be everything from for example a new char who happened to get involved with several others and die in plain public within his first hour choosing to not reappear to someone else starting his first char at an off hour to an empty Red Storm and die lonely to be replaced  in 'nak with the help of an immortal after checking it over with the added background that he made it there through the help of a vnpc caravan.

Basically, i'd ask for more options, and a possible introduction into the Armageddon way of applying common (ic-)sense for starters.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

I'm all for the Res, but we need that bright light stuff replaced with some OOC information surrounding death. I know at one point someone who had just died came back and started pointing fingers at her killers, which actually resulted in some IC problems across the board.

Add in an auto-clothing script (IE: ragged pants/shirt, something worth 0 'sid), some plain OOC info about how to role-play the situation and an option to simply allow the character to stay dead (maybe a room you walk into and quit, which auto-stores/kills the character), and we'd be peachy.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I have never had a character die in the three hour limit.  I think there was one that died bare minutes outside of that time, but I can't be sure.

That having been said, I think the newly rezzed should start out with the same gear they had when they first entered the game...obviously they were having problems and now are starting at an even greater disadvantage, even if clothed.

Edit: Oh yes, especially with the fact that they are not the same person as the dead character that just got rezzed, they should start over at where they originally started at for cash...maybe repop them into the Hall of Kings without scars when auto-rezzed and have them point to a location all over again.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I had once the honor of this function. Was killed outside the gates and suddenly I found me back a the middle of the Bazzaar, completely naked!
I don't know, but I think it isn't very helpful for a complete newbie to begin without a coin or a piece of eqiupment anew. So I think it would be better to be dead and start a new char. Or let him start his old char at the old startpsoition.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

I should have offered a solution, but I was pressed for time. If there is still rez, then here is the solution. The original corpse should be destroyed instantly, all the equipment transfered to the new character, and thus, they are allowed to actually restart. As it is, they start with no sid and no clothes...that is simply worse than sheer death.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I disagree about the corpse being destroyed.  

Currently when this happens, you are expected to play not as if you're the one who died, because there could be some plot involvement.  What I do agree with though is there should be some eq put on the char and some coins given to them.  

I don't agree it's worse than death though. Some people (granted probably not a newbie) put a lot of thought and eeffort into the their char concept and desc.  I would much rather not lose a hard worked on desc if I were just grasping the game and wandered out the gates of Allanak without realizing what I was doing.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I should have offered a solution, but I was pressed for time. If there is still rez, then here is the solution. The original corpse should be destroyed instantly, all the equipment transfered to the new character, and thus, they are allowed to actually restart. As it is, they start with no sid and no clothes...that is simply worse than sheer death.

I was just about to post something along those lines.

Yes, I agree. It's more jarring to pop naked, 'sidless, and confused than just plain confused.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

And what about a condition where someone killed the newbie and remained reliant on those boots, bp & 872 coins?   -whoosh-
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Repopping, as it's implemented, definitely encourages 'happening' to find your old corpse since resurrected without anything.  On the flip side, if you repopped with everything you used to have, then I imagine people would abuse it, get killed inside the city, repop and double their sids.

I like repopping new players so they won't get frustrated.  At first I had a hard time deterimining what was indoors and what was outdoors and I lost that PC.  I can imagine this getting frustrating for people who maybe keep dying because they are just confused about what is where.

So, I imagine, all things considered, it's implemented as well as it can be done.

Yep..sort of along the lines of <7 I would just say perhaps restart them with the newbie clothes and maybe half the normal amount of sid.   I strongly disagree with making the corpse disappear.    Maybe a script that if a restarted PC touches their corpse they explode.    :twisted:
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Make it what it is: it's not a ressurrection, it's a save based on DM fiat/mercy.

Instead of the unlikely message from Drov, make it more like:

"Just as the death blow is about to hit, you manage to tumble away.  In a blur, you rush about in mortal fear of your life.  Some hours later, you find yourself at ~room.desc."

"With a sinking feeling, you realize that your escape was sheer dumb luck.  If the same situation happens again, you will surely die."

Then move the player to the new location, including all equipment and gold, but near death's door.

Losing all your starting gold and equipment is a fate worse than death for a noob, espcially if the character happens to be an elf, rinther, or otherwise unable expect the sympathy of other PCs.

1. I think we should have the choice to come back to life at the end, there is no reason to keep on playing really if you start with no clothes and money, and don't have any real ways to make any sids.

2. I think there should be a reasonable start off with things. Half the coins sounds nice, definetly clothes.

3.I think I remember that if you die, you are a completely new character and stuff, someone can find a post or help file on it.

4. Concerning #1 I think it might be fun, walking over to a bar, sitting there naked. Add some nice role-play for everyone.
uppers.

This is a bad idea.  Sometimes pcs are the ones who kill said newbie. If we did that then it wouldn't be any help at all.  In addition their death sometimes is part of tiny plots. Plus what do the pcs who are around see.  Said newbie tumbling all the way to the center of meleth square from the middle of the desert?

. . . I think not.

The message could afford to be changed yes.  To somehting ooc about how they get another chance since their char is so new.

And we could give them some newbie clothes.

other than that, I think the system shouldn't change.