Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, January 24, 2004, 11:24:03 PM

Rez, or no?

Yes.
51 (83.6%)
No.
10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: January 24, 2004, 11:24:03 PM

A two hour old noob character is not likely to be a pivotal part of a plot...the situation would be just the same as if the noob managed to type FLEE in time.

In any case, if you're busy using some plot as an excuse to kill a clueless 2 hour old character I'd suggest that the pk wasn't in the spirit of the game, nor are such activities likely to inspire a new player to continue playing the game.

In most cases you may be right, but if there is just ONE case wher eyou are wrong that maybe more than enough for such an idea to foul up.  Allow me to demonstrate.  Newbie pops in game first time.  See's a wagon in Meleth, meanwhile the person who owns it has said anyone on this wagon dies.  Newbie gets on and see's why, it's full of spice!  They go to hack newbie to little shrewds.

But newbie amazingly survives because of change in code.  Infact, wagon owners CAN'T kill newbie to save themselves untill he's been around for three hours.  

Where as with current code? Clueless newbie is killed, comes back confused but someone explains to him how to play it and all is well.

Another note though, it might be nice if the three hour rez was accompanied by a ooc message explaining how to treat this rez ic.

Still I think your idea is heavily flawed. I could give you examples like this all day long.  But I'll instead say, that's simply not in the spirit of the game.

I can't see repopping being very confusing for most newbies. After all, most MUs have repopping in some form or another, so the only people who it would be completely new for are those who have never played a MU before.

However if it is so difficult to know how to RP it out (I've come across some newbies who do seem confused by it), have the person repop into a room that has a description that explains what just happened. Then "recommend" (or perhaps even force) the rez'd character to read a couple of help files that will help explain what happened, and then when they leave the room it'll be a 1 way trip to their home city. This gives them the benefit of being able to take as long as they want, learning how to roleplay their character now, without standing in the middle of a room, having weather, time and people effect them.

I agree with rez'd characters having clothes. I don't agree with them having money. If they do have money, nothing more then 100 'sid. It is ridiculously easy to find money again and I've done it in the past with rez'd chars ;)

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I should have offered a solution, but I was pressed for time. If there is still rez, then here is the solution. The original corpse should be destroyed instantly, all the equipment transfered to the new character, and thus, they are allowed to actually restart. As it is, they start with no sid and no clothes...that is simply worse than sheer death.

I tend to not like the 3-hours rez at all, but if it stays I think this is how it should go.

Either that or it should just be perma-death from the get-go.  I would prefer that actually, but it might not be the best solution for new players.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Finding new stuff isn't that hard.  Often you can find a pack, cloak, or some unsaleable 'rinth crap just laying around the bazaar or the 'rinth in Allanak, and usually some gith gear can be found near the city because established characters don't think it is worth the trouble to haul it back to town to sell.  Up north it is harder to find used clothing, but it is a little easier to make money, so I guess it all works out.

I would like to see new rezes get pants and a shirt, but nothing else.  The pants and shirt newbies get usually can't be sold for more than a few coins, so even if the go strip their first corpse it isn't like they will be making a big profit on it.  Being naked sucks.  ICly it is easier to explain being shoeless than pantless.

The fact that you come back naked and sidless gives the impression that it is ok to find your twin corpse.  It is usually as stupid thing to do, but not a heineous infraction of the rules.  The couple times I've died before the the two hour limit I have dashed into the nearest building to sleep and then gone out to find my corpse.  Not because I want my oh-so-valuable newbie pants back, like I said I don't have much trouble finding new clothes, but because I don't want anyone else to see the corpse and then see a character that looks just like the corpse walking around.  That is embarassing, it's like wearing a sign that says "Hey look!  I was dumb enough to get killed right away!"  :oops:  So if I can I go find my corpse and junk it, removing my evil twin from the world.  You just can't count on the beastie that killed you to promptly eat your face off and render your corpse nondescript.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well,
When I was a newb, my character was killed while sleeping once on the north road, made me very unhappy. Anyways, my next character was accepted quite soon after that, and I was on the smae road, I was lucky enough to find my old character's head. And keep it in my pack to admire it... Maybe the same might go for someone keeping their own corpse or something of the sort.

the small, pointy-chinned man is standing here.
l small

blah blah blah....

the small, pointy-chinned man is in excellent condition.

secondary hand:the head of the small, pointy-chinned man

I am over it now... :roll:
uppers.

I do recall it being said that to go find your corpse was bad form.  If it is not, I'm fine with the situation being left completely as it is.

I do NOT want to see the 3-hour rez go away as it would be annoying...just after waiting for your new character to get approved, you hop on the mud, start playing and die...now you have to wait for a new character to be approved?  Naw, dude.  Keep it the way it is.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think it is a grey area.  

Yes, there is a rule against going to find corpses of previous characters, but I think this means actual characters that died and then you had to send in an application and stuff.  The 2 hour rez character isn't a real character, it's just sort of a bad dream that leaves a corpse.  If you  put in your background that you are Joe the baker's son, then obviously the dead guy that looks just like you could not have been Joe the baker's son.  It's a doppleganger.  An illusion.  An unpleasant remnant of a botched abortion.  It isn't really a previous character, because you can't ever have two characters with the same name, and if the character you have now is Joe, then Joe.1 could never have existed.  

Now if you Rezzed with full newbie gear I'd say the pre-rez body would count as a forbiddin corpse.  But since you start with nothing I assume the property on the fresh corpse is still -your- newbie gear, at least if you can get to it before anyone else does.

That is my reasoning, anyway.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

A point that many of you are overlooking is that the most likely reason the newby dies is that he's a newby, and thus is unlikely to know any of these unstated or hidden rules, how to re-equip himself, or anything else other than what his most-likely-cursory review of the docs has provided.

I'm waiting for my first character to be approved. I had no idea from reading the help files on the web that there was any provision for early deaths; I figured permadeath was permadeath and resigned myself myself to probably losing multiple characters in embarassing fashions until I get the hang of things.

If I hadn't seen this thread, I'd have been extremely confused with a mulligan, but would most likely have handled it as I would in the other online RPGs I've played, i.e. it is the same character, he knows who killed him, and he knows where "his" stuff is and should go get it... or, depending on my mood, I might have assumed I was undead and gone around moaning for brainnnnsssss with my hands stretched out zombie-style in front of me. Unless the player is confronted with an explicitly-stated policy about how to handle this situation, there's no point in discussing what he can or should do because he's not going to do it anyway.

If the purpose of this feature is to give the novice player an easier starting experience, then you need to re-equip him and also instruct him how the situation should be roleplayed, as part of the process. Failure to do so defeats the purpose of having the feature at all.

Actually I don't think we were overlooking that.  I think it was more or less just assumed by most of us arguing about this that the reason it's there is for those novice people.

I'm all in support of not chagning or getting rid of it.  Except for MAYBE some minor adjustments to make it less confusiong.  

You r post is more or less exactly why I feel that way.

Quote from: "Gabriel"If the purpose of this feature is to give the novice player an easier starting experience, then you need to re-equip him and also instruct him how the situation should be roleplayed, as part of the process. Failure to do so defeats the purpose of having the feature at all.

Well said, that man.

I did my best to dig up information from the website, helpfiles and even archives on how the newbie resurrection should be handled. I found zilch by the way of staff opinion. It's possible I was overlooking something obvious, as I recall coming across staff guidelines an age ago, but it certainly isn't trivial to find.

If you're going to repop in game, naked and sidless, some obvious easy-to-find information on how to RP this would be valuable, perhaps accessible from "help newbie". The point of the respawn is otherwise somewhat lost, I think.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?