Started by Tamarin, January 22, 2004, 01:00:44 AM

Close eyes/open eyes

Yes
11 (22.4%)
No
38 (77.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: January 22, 2004, 01:00:44 AM

I think it would be really cool if you could close your eyes.  You would still hear everything you normally do, but if you type look, you'd get a message like:

You can't see anything because your eyes are closed.

This would allow for some really cool RP, as well as eye-closed combat training.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"I think it would be really cool if you could close your eyes.  You would still hear everything you normally do, but if you type look, you'd get a message like:

You can't see anything because your eyes are closed.

This would allow for some really cool RP, as well as eye-closed combat training.

Or you could...just...rp...closing your eyes...and yeah...using a blindfold or scarf to roleplay fighting blind.

Shrugs, don't see much need for it. Emote pretty much covers all the areas regarding sight.

Pff...you can also RP sitting down, but we have a command for it.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I'm with FJ on this one.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "uberjazz"Pff...you can also RP sitting down, but we have a command for it.

And you can also take a shit through emotes. But I don't see that getting actually coded in with an echo anytime soon.

I like the idea, yes, but IMHO, it's not something that has to be put in the game. Good thoughts, but overall, probably won't add too much to the game.

Also the whole sitting thing isn't really a good analogy.

Sitting has coded effects that can't be covered by mere emoting.

Unless you want to just get rid of all code and be a MUSH.  Which I'm neither advocating for or against.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I see absolutely no point to this idea what so ever.  It seems to me it would be an added bit of code which wouldn't improve the game, being as people wouldn't want to be blind, they would never use it and would just rp it anyway.

Quote from: "uberjazz"Pff...you can also RP sitting down, but we have a command for it.

That is because it has other practical uses, such as allowing the use of a table.

I would, however, like to see code put into place where you can blindfold another person - once they are knocked out, subdued, or allowing themselves to be blindfolded, via a toggle of the nosave flag.

Voted no.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I am against it, simply because...codewise...  the blindness spell is a bit bugged, and people know it.

It is still bugged, and it's not on a high priority to be fixed.

It is -bugged- in that you cannot contact anybody, when you are 'codewise' blind.  That is a -bug- that a group of people in game have been using in game, for what seems forever, to protect themselves from having their enemies contact their boss or partners, because you cannot contact anybody when blinded.  There are other spells you -should- use, instead of -that- one, to produce that effect.

If there was a command to open and close your eyes, and have it coded...it would probably just take time, and use the 'blindness' code.  But...as i just stated a few times already.

It's bugged.  Sorry if it's just a bit too IC.  Perhaps when it gets fixed, unless it already is, you all can ignore me.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Callisto"

That is because it has other practical uses, such as allowing the use of a table.

I would, however, like to see code put into place where you can blindfold another person - once they are knocked out, subdued, or allowing themselves to be blindfolded, via a toggle of the nosave flag.

Voted no.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Carnage wrote:

Callisto wrote:

Voted no.

Yep.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Nice idea, perfect coding project for the day when there's nothing else to be done and all the ideas the staff wants to implement have been implemented.

Didn't read any of this, but sure, why not?

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteI am against it, simply because...codewise... the blindness spell is a bit bugged, and people know it.

This is news to me. Have you considered using the 'bug' command, in game, or emailing the mud?
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "mansa"[...] codewise...  the blindness spell is a bit bugged, and people know it.

It is still bugged, and it's not on a high priority to be fixed.

It is -bugged- in that you cannot contact anybody, when you are 'codewise' blind.  [...]  There are other spells you -should- use, instead of -that- one, to produce that effect.

I dare to think that many people will not know this to be a bug (if they know of that behaviour at all). I would wish for a help file/web page or command similar to 'news' listing known perusable bugs, with the clear implication that using these bugs was considered cheating, so players can consider their impact and, if possible, play around it.

That page wouldn't need to contain every single bug, but hopefully give a fair idea of what shouldn't be done even if the code allowed it. Where a description of the bug would give too much detail, a more generic note  akin to There's a known problem with ..., if you think this applies to you please contact... could be given.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

It would be pretty lame for someone to use blindness as a form of psi suppression, but I mean come on.. How often does that come up?  I can't remeber the last time a pc of mine had been blinded.

Only reason I see for coding this, is because then imm's can make blind PC's eyes permanently closed, or have various substances such as blinding powders or various creature's venoms cause a blinding effect.  Sure, let players use the eyes closed, eyes open command, but having this coded will allow for blinding effects in game by making some things cause eyes closed to be in effect for a period of time, or permanently.

I like the idea. If there are bugs, they should be fixed first, but I like the idea, in and of itself.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm not staff or anything close to it, but (from my knowledge of diku/deriative codebases....) it wouldn't seem too hard, you make a few functions like do_eyeclose and do_eyeopen, add a bit like "EYES_CLOSED" or something, and then in do_look (or equivalent function), add in an if statement saying, basically, if they have the EYES_CLOSED bit set, it spits out "Your eyes are closed, you can't see anything." Though, since Armageddon is pretty highly modified, it'd probably be harder than that.

I am a bad, bad person.

Easy or not easy, the thing is the game doesn't need useless code.  Being able to close your eyes really has just about zero purpose that I can see.  

Oh yeah, so wouldn't it be cool if you could purposefully make yourself blind and almost completely helpless?  Lets look at other reasons though why this is a silly idea.

In real life if you close your eyes and feel someone reaching in your pocket, opening your eyes is really easy.  

In the game if you have the exact same thing happen, you have to type open eyes or something (which would take MUCH longer than actually opening your eyes) meanwhile the thief who just had to type n is already long gone.

The fact is, this is useless code.  Blindfold cool, blindness other than magickal, maybe poison, cool.  There are lots of other was blindness could be cool to be in game here or there, self inflicted? No.  I think most players will see it's better to just rp it and then just simply rp it.