Fix account creation... you are losing potential players

Started by Akaramu, January 16, 2004, 07:16:31 AM

Okay... a couple weeks ago I created my account just fine, but since this week I know of THREE people who tried to create accounts and never received their password email. A friend of mine, and two others. I even tried to set up an account for my friend (not my email-adress), no password. I have done a bit of advertisement for Armageddon, but people who cant create accounts get frustrated and give up on it. Please... fix account creation. Its not like we have too many players and can affors to lose potential ones.

As has been stated before, some email providers have a junk mail service that may be filtering any Armageddon emails.  They should check that before saying that account creation is broken.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You acctually wait for the Email???

I just try about 10,000 times to log in..Then Again, I have issues..
:D
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "spawnloser"As has been stated before, some email providers have a junk mail service that may be filtering any Armageddon emails.  They should check that before saying that account creation is broken.

Then how does one of two hotmail adresses (with standard settings) get the email and another hotmail adress with standard settings doesnt?

Besides my friend (who is by no means stupid) tried about anything that can be done with settings, and several different email adresses.

As far as I know. Standard settings is what junks the Armageddon mail.

First, go into settings and set it so any email from ginka.armageddon.org is safe as well as armageddon.org just to make sure.

I know my first email was filtered... SHRUG. It wasn't deleted though just tossed in my junk mail. SHRUG again.

Creeper who wonders why people set their AIM and such so I can't see them when I added them... Grrr.
21sters Unite!

If it just went into junk mail it would not be a problem... but it simply does not arrive at all. And I have standard settings (never changed anything) for MY hotmail adress and I received it just fine.

And you dont see people on AIM when they dont feel like logging onto it  :P

I've had this happen a couple of times over the past several weeks with my notice that a character was approved, to a hotmail account.  Email never did arrive at all, ever.  But the character was approved.

Before that, it always came like clockwork, so this could be a recent problem.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Hello all,

I'm brand new here ... registered my account and got my char approved no problem.

I would think that the problem lies with mail providers and not the system which sends out emails. Its far more likely that email is being blocked for some reason than the system randomly not sending out some email registrations.

Over the past few months there has been a ton of strange things going on with ISP's and their anti-spam measures. I play many games PBEM and have had significant difficulty getting messages to opponents who, until now, I've never had a problem emailing.

FYI,  Yahoo! also sends it to the Bulk Mail folder, but doesn't actually delete the message (unless you somehow have it set up to automatically delete spam).  

And Akaramu, I think it's fantastic that you're finding other people who want to play.  I hope this gets worked out without too much hassle.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

My snet.net account does this as well. Even with the filter settings disabled, for some reason.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I recently forgot my account password (yes, I know, I'm a moron) and Sanvean had to reset it for me.

The odd thing was that while all correspondence from the mud address (i.e. mails from Sanvean telling me that she had reset the password) got through to my Hotmail account without any problems, none of the automated password-delivery emails made it through.

I've recently made some changes to the filters (which, by the way, were already set at their lowest possible default setting) so I'll see if that fixes it.
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say." - Will Durant

Same here, only the automated ones ever were a problem.

Other mail from armageddon.org didn't get filtered.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Recently, My hotmail account has been giving me enough trouble for me to stop using it. I wouldn't get mail from other hotmail addresses and some emails just plain old wouldn't arrive. Switch to Yahoo. And unless I missed something, those monopolizing bastards at M'soft won't let me forward my mail to yahoo. What slime...

i keep the whole domain of 'Armageddon.ORG' and 'Ginka.Armageddon.ORG' in a safe list.  But, I haven't received the Weekly Update since December 8th.  I can interact with the mailer system, through emails, but, it just doesn't send me one.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Why do people use yahoo for actual e-mail anyway? When I sincerely want to hear from someone, I use my actual, real, bonafide legit e-mail address that comes with my ISP. I only use Yahoo for crap that I don't really need to read, like newsgroup mail and to set up anonymous accounts on other things that require an e-mail addy for confirmation.

I never have problems with e-mail, though I note that a couple of PMs from this GDB have taken well over a day to arrive in my mailbox. This, thankfully, has been rare.

Because aside from hotmail, my email address has never been static for more than about six months at a time.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Hotmail both sucks and blows.  Don't use it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Bestatte"Why do people use yahoo for actual e-mail anyway? When I sincerely want to hear from someone, I use my actual, real, bonafide legit e-mail address that comes with my ISP. I only use Yahoo for crap that I don't really need to read, like newsgroup mail and to set up anonymous accounts on other things that require an e-mail addy for confirmation.

I never have problems with e-mail, though I note that a couple of PMs from this GDB have taken well over a day to arrive in my mailbox. This, thankfully, has been rare.

To each their own I guess.    I haven't had any problems, except the filtering one which is very easily fixed.   (The problem with hotmail sounds like it's not exactly the same problem, and not so easily fixed perhaps.)  

One reason to use yahoo or something similar is that if your ISP changes, you still have that same email address.   And it's easy to access anywhere.

Quote from: "Bestatte"Why do people use yahoo for actual e-mail anyway? When I sincerely want to hear from someone, I use my actual, real, bonafide legit e-mail address that comes with my ISP. I only use Yahoo for crap that I don't really need to read, like newsgroup mail and to set up anonymous accounts on other things that require an e-mail addy for confirmation.

The problem is that you're relying on your ISP. What if you move and switch providers? You lose your address.. if you use Yahoo, you never have to change your address.

I'm not advocating yahoo (I hate it..) but the reason why I don't use ISP mail.

I don't see what the big deal is. True, I've missed a few emails from the mud, but it's not like you can't play the game if you don't the email confirmation.

This week a friend joined Armageddon too. No prob with his account. But a day later Yahoo didn't accepted his password anymore. And he had to create a new messenger ID.

I use Yahoo (e-mail & messenger) since a long time. Had never a problem.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

darksheep, you sorta cant play the game if you never receive the account password. Of course you can insist and try to get it in some other way, but it definitely scares people away.

Because I have had the same Yahoo account since (I think) 1996 or '97.

I have lived in several different cities, been overseas for a while, run a conference or two, etc. etc.  All from Yahoo.

That is why.

Ah, and the friends from all these places all have the same email address.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I think Hotmail has changed something recently - I've had 5 or 6 problems like this spring up this week, which is a massive upsurge. All of them have been Hotmail, which leads me to believe that it's a problem with their settings.

For the Hotmail users - is there a way to set a specific address to not be filtered? If so, I suggest adding armageddon.org and ginka.armageddon.org.

Since it seems more likely that we can change things on our end than get Hotmail to change things, I'm trying to work from that end, although I also have emailed Hotmail.  

Problems like this are generally best sent to the MUD account, where they will be definitely read, rather than posted in a forum on the GDB, with the possible exception of the Ask the Staff forum.

In short: I know there is a problem, it's relatively recent and not an old one, and we're working on it.

I was actually referring to the character confirmation mentioned in a previous post, but in regards to your problem: I myself have never encountered this. I guess the best thing to do until the mailer is fixed would be to encourage your friends to wait for a response from the mud. At least this way we only get the really dedicated players who email the account directly.  :mrgreen:

Maybe microsoft is planning to start their own text mud and have blocked armageddon emails to prevent competition.

Quote from: "darksheep"Maybe microsoft is planning to start their own text mud and have blocked armageddon emails to prevent competition.

skills: Fatal error, crashing, rebooting
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quote from: "Lasakar"skills: Fatal error, crashing, rebooting

And every statistic, code segment and useful piece of information is concealed from the players. ;) And you're expected to change to a new mud client every six months.
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say." - Will Durant

I never have a problem with Yahoo. Hotmail...there are days when you can't even log onto a Microsoft website.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Been using yahoo since it opened with no real problems. Once this last fall I didn't receive the email from the account. Got pissed. After 24 hours tried anyway and got in. Wee! But since then it has been working fine. My mail from armageddon does not even get sent to bulkmail, and I didn;t change a thing on it. Oh yeah, hotmail sucks. I had some friends who would lose normal messages from each other.

I've had a hotmail account and a yahoo account of the past.... 6 years or so. Within the first year my yahoo was CONSTANTLY spammed. And I abandoned it just for a confirmation email or other such things.

My hotmail, stayed clear and untill recently really got little spam. Although after I changed my filter settings my arm emails got tossed in the junk mail, I made those domains safe and I've never lost anything since. And alhtough I'm getting alittle spam now, it's not yet too bad. And I'll probably readjust my filters for this new surge of different crap.

Anyways... My ISP email gets more spam crap then any of my web based. I haven't talked to my IP dude but it's really pissing me off. It tends to pull a good hundred spam emails every fucking day. It's bullshit.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Using HOTMAIL, you _can_ set certain domains as 'safe'.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Is there anyone receiving emails from the account, such as the weekly update, at a hotmail account?

If so, could you post your settings, i.e. what junkmail level and whether or not you have armageddon.org marked as a safe domain?

I have a hotmail account, & I do recieve all the weekly updates.

My junk mail settings are at 'Enhanced' and "@ginka.armageddon.org" is on my safelist.

I have a hotmail account that seems to recieve all Armageddon-related mail correctly with no changes to the settings, unless I just don't remember changing the settings.

Junk E-Mail Filter set to default.
No safe list entries.

My normal settings from way back received the emails from the ginka just fine. Then I started getting junkmail and changed my settings so I then had to safelist the domain. I get everything fine right now.

My spam filter settings is still at normal now. I just started catching and rooting out keywords.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I'm using the enhanced option.  weeklyupdate@ginka.armageddon.org is on my Mailing Lists list.  I have no problems getting anything.

Here are my Hotmail settings:

Junk filter: Enhanced

On safe list:  armageddon.org

This is slightly different from Delirium's settings, but work perfectly well for me.

Hmm, that's odd.  My settings:

Junk Email Filter: Default
Safe List: @armageddon.org and @ginka.armageddon.org

...and I'm still not getting those automated emails.
Silly Hotmail.  :roll:

We've found that with newly created Hotmial accounts, you will not be able to receive emails from armageddon.org, regardless of the settings, unless you have emailed at least once with the account.

So you have to SEND an email to the MUD account and everything if you want to receive emails?

Ouch... Good thing I don't plan on getting a new email account.

Creeper thinks it WOULD be funny to just send emails to all the staff just to make sure you can recieve emails from them.
21sters Unite!

Sorry Sanvean - does that mean to mud@armageddon.org, or mud@ginka.armageddon.org?

Because I could have sworn that I'd mailed them both and things still weren't getting through...though I may be mistaken.

It means you have to actually -use- your hotmail account, and not just open it up, in ordered to receive e-mails on it. You don't have to send e-mail to mud, you just have to send e-mail. That activates the account.

If anyone needs help with this feel free to AIM me: TheGreenMofo, I can explain how to make it work.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Hmm.. If'n you ump to, I can pass on the email to anyun. :)
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "Bestatte"It means you have to actually -use- your hotmail account, and not just open it up, in ordered to receive e-mails on it. You don't have to send e-mail to mud, you just have to send e-mail. That activates the account.

Aha, gotcha.  Thanks.  *kicks his Hotmail account*