The other side of the sea

Started by Tamarin, December 25, 2003, 03:39:25 PM

I know it is supposed to be essentially an unatainable place to visit, but has anyone in the history of the game ever made it to the other side of the Sea of Silt to the south?  Perhaps via some magickal conduit...I don't want to know what's there, just if there -is- a 'there'.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

There is a sea. It is worth exploring. There are many places worth exploring however. No more to say.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I have no idea, and if I did, I wouldn't say.  Basically, if a geographical point in the world isn't covered in the docs, then you have to find out in game.

-Der Comrade
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

I'm with everyone else on this subject.  It's...not something anyone should know about without finding out themselves.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

uberjazz wrote:
Quotehas anyone in the history of the game ever made it to the other side of the Sea of Silt to the south? Perhaps via some magickal conduit

Trying to reach the other side via magick would be almost as stupid as walking it. It says in the docs that silt is known to affect magick is strange ways... Anyone trying to 'zap' themselves across the Silt Sea would likely turn themselves inside out, or end up in a rock or other such nonsense.

Of course, they'd deserve it, those filthy, kank-humping, baby-eating heathen defilers.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

What about that road in the sea? Goes all the way through the see to the land of abundant steel swrods and armor.
I found it once.. then I got a message from the Imms saying AHAHAHAHAHAHA! We told you not to eat that stuff! and I passed out and was robbed by a bunch of longnecks when I awoke in the gaj.. and found out I had only been dreaming :(
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"uberjazz wrote:
Quotehas anyone in the history of the game ever made it to the other side of the Sea of Silt to the south? Perhaps via some magickal conduit

Trying to reach the other side via magick would be almost as stupid as walking it. It says in the docs that silt is known to affect magick is strange ways... Anyone trying to 'zap' themselves across the Silt Sea would likely turn themselves inside out, or end up in a rock or other such nonsense.

Heck yah, turning themselves into a rock? They'd get the longest lived PC for sure!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I want to see the common doc everyone has access to that says silt effects magick in strange ways. I've yet to see that.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

The helpfile is help silt I had to look it up myself.

Amish overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Bogre said:

QuoteThey'd get the longest lived PC for sure!

Haven't you ever played a crafter? :)

SILT                                                            Geography

Denizens of Zalanthas have a multitude of terms for sand, grit, and
dust, and silt falls within that vocabulary.  An ashy residue, it is
found in vast lakes in the south, forming the perilous Sea of Silt,
where few dare travel.

No one lives too close to the Sea of Silt, because of silt's ill
effects on the body: it chokes the lungs, clouds the eyes, fills the
nose and mouth, and at times exhibits mildly hallucinatory qualities.

The presence of silt also has an odd effect on many magicks, causing
them either to become more powerful or fizzle completely in unpredictable
ways.

See also:
  sea_of_silt

Ahh okay. Never seen that help file. Still doesn't make much sense to be common knowledge though. At least not to me.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I can see most of the folks in Red Storm, possibly RSE  knowing it, and that in turn means a number of people in Nak would too.  Kurac would likely know that too, and that spreads the information as far as Tuluk, though amongst a small circle of people, perhaps Kuracis, spice sellers, and the occasional person who asks questions to their local spice dealer.

So, because they live near the sea they know that magick is effected by it?

I'm sorry but it makes no sense. I could see even a magicker not knowing exactly why his magick is going awry from time to time. It's not exactly perfect science.

Still have no clue how it'd be common knowledge. Although it's common ooc knowledge for sure... With the helpfile...

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I don't see the helpfiles as representing common knowledge - for example the helpfiles on magick spheres/powers/etc shouldn't be considered common knowledge, but there they are, nonetheless.

As far as Red Storm goes, I'd expect magickers casting down there would have noticed that some spells react differently in the presence of a lot of silt, while others might know legends or stories about the area and its odd effects.

QuoteI don't see the helpfiles as representing common knowledge - for example the helpfiles on magick spheres/powers/etc shouldn't be considered common knowledge, but there they are, nonetheless.

As far as Red Storm goes, I'd expect magickers casting down there would have noticed that some spells react differently in the presence of a lot of silt, while others might know legends or stories about the area and its odd effects.

Well. I think IC stuff like that shouldn't be included in helpfiles unless it's common knowledge. Including magick spheres and such now that you bring it up.

And I think it'd take more then just some magicker wandering around the area and people know magick reacts oddly down there. I'd imagine that there could be more reasons. I'd imagine magick wouldn't always work perfectly, even if there is a 'normal' for magick reactions. It'd probably take a fairly exstensive research to figure out that magick reactions differently far more often around silt then it does not around silt.

I don't see many people around Red Storm or such knowing, as I doubt there is a large numbers of magickers their either. Who knows. Perhaps they are magick huggers down there? SHRUG. But still don't see magickers flourishing and sharing knowledge with people around there.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

QuoteWell. I think IC stuff like that shouldn't be included in helpfiles unless it's common knowledge. Including magick spheres and such now that you bring it up.

...Then how the hell are magickers supposed to figure out the words to spells?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Find out IC (LOL)

All you got to do is ask around. I'm sure someone will take interest.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Is it a trap!
This topic is surely posted by the IMMs to lure us all into the Silt!!!
Creepy....
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quote from: "Ueda"Find out IC (LOL)

All you got to do is ask around. I'm sure someone will take interest.
(sarcastic rant)
There are listings of a whole bunch of plants and animals on the site, but not everyone would know anything about them...why is that there?  Why is anything documented, honestly?  All these documents about the world ruin the learning experience for everyone!  There are tribals that do not know anything about any of the cities, but there are maps of the cities in the helpfiles.  I say take them out, along with anything about poisons, animals, plants, geography of any regions, and tribals of any sort just to make sure that noone knows anything they shouldn't.  Sound like a plan?
(/sarcastic rant)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah! Get rid of the info on great houses.. and races, skills, How about the whole helpfiles?

We will just start with nothing.. like when enter the game as a 24 year old.. We will just say that we have been brain dead for the last 23 years and everything but a day..

Just thought Spawnloser's post was missing that.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I agree with spawnloser and sacac....there are some things that most will never find out, because we simply don't have the means to ever do so....so why not just tell us?  Its not like we're going to be able to use it anyways...
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

There is an Island in the middle of the sea of silt. It has a bunch of Immortal toys. Unless the island is actually ment to have Giants (not half giants) wearing metal of all kinds.

I thought about what could be on the other side of the sea.  Or the salt flats.  Or the Grey Forest.

Then I thought about how freaking cool those areas must be and all the work that must have gone into them, and how maybe a handful of people have seen it.

Then I wonder if there's even areas... but I figure there's got to be something right?

Even if it is the love nest of Luir and Valasaurus.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

If the imms made the slow invention of Silt skimmers and a progressive evolution of silt pirating. Then when it becomes available to players, they could have a city built on the other side full of shops that sell silver. So that one can come back from the city and spread the word. They should just make it VERY hard to get to the city. THat would lead to some awesome RP. Hundreds of dead PCs trying to get across and a small handfull only lucky enough to make it across. If it starts to be crossed real easy then the city of silver can delcare war to outsiders and make it even harder to get silver. And it would be impossible to attack them because thier weapons are superior.

Quote from: "Help Sea_of_eternal_dust"The silt that composes this 'sea' varies in depth from a few cords to several leagues (the actual maximum depth is uncertain, but in order to allow for the existence of such enormous silt horrors as have been sighted a depth of at least one league would be necessary).

Now put the giant fawkin' Silt Horrors in their native environment.. put a bunch of tasty, meaty things into a weak wooden framed boat.. and insert the possibility of the biggest Silt Horror being nothing more than a baby who's left the sea because of the competition of even more super-massive Silt Horrors.. or Worse-Things.

It is my opinion that crossing the sea isn't going to happen for quite a while.. (note: this is in no way a flame, just a comment..I still like the discussion)
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

If staff does consider modifying the links to helpfiles regarding magick to make them unavailable to the player population as a whole, I would hope that they include links to the helpfiles in the approval email sent out when someone creates a magicker pc.  

Information on the starting spells for magickers is already included in the email sent by the mud to a player of an approved magick using pc.

For various reasons, magickers are more difficult to play than PCs of other guilds.  Removing the basic theory of magick completely from access would, in my opinion, make playing a magicker effectively nearly impossible for many players.

Except, of course, for naughty monkeys.   :twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

to me, the docs represent common knowledge to all the possible players. So a kuraci might know that silt does funny things to magic, but not everyone will. He also might not know about a certain plant that a tuluki that hunts in the forest knows about. But both these facts are common knowledge to SOME ONE. As are all the facts in the docs.

it's up to you as a player to decide what your character knows from the docs, just as it is up to you as a player to decide what your character knows from your previous characters.

and now for something on-topic:

One of these days I'm making a red storm char who pilots a silt-skimmer. Even if there is nothing coded on the other side, or even in it, i don't care. It'll be fun anyway.

QuoteNow put the giant fawkin' Silt Horrors in their native environment.. put a bunch of tasty, meaty things into a weak wooden framed boat.. and insert the possibility of the biggest Silt Horror being nothing more than a baby who's left the sea because of the competition of even more super-massive Silt Horrors.. or Worse-Things.

In my opinion, it is possible to cross the sea of silt.  There cant be -many- of those nasty things, since then they will begin to starve.  So that you will have the chance to never meet one.  
If there are nasty things in there, put several ballistas, a few catapults, and see what happens.  Yes, you might still bite the dust, but as I say, you will have a significant chance to go to the other side.  
How do I know?
The similar Sea of the Silt in Dark Sun setting is being crossed by skimmers even though there are those nasty Horrors, and Silt Giants in DS.
..And in Arm terms, there are virtual Silt Skimmers traveling to the other side of the sea. There are active skimmer docks, filled with captains and workers and soldiers.  But as far as I know, piloting a skimmer, or traveling in one, is not available for PCs...
          ...........Well, not yet .. :wink:
some of my posts are serious stuff

There are things that still suprise me after 4+ years. So engaged in my current occupation, I have seen a few things that I really do not think most players have. And so, with no further enticement, feel free to explore. Everything has not been seen.

There is an awful lot of Armageddon.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Wait a second....if there are docks, and silt skimmers, and everything like that, why is it that no one knows where they go?  Presumably there's at least ONE other location on the Sea that they go to, and enough people have gone there that they can't keep it a complete secret.  I doubt they have docks and a fleet of skimmers just to send crews to their doom and feed the silt horrors. :P

Most people do know where they go.
They either go to their doom in the sea or to Red Storm East.

Other then that you'd have to find out IC.

And sometimes they go to those mystical islands in the Sea of Silt where Giants roam the ground, and live on beanstalks. Those usually come back with golden eggs.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Finding out IC is possible..

I did it, and that resulted about the last two or three characters to have a longterm plan about the skimmers and Silt sea

Silt skimmers and the islands in the sea are more to add flavor to the game right now than to actually be a part of it.  I think they need to remain mostly virtual because frankly they don't have any place in present arm as a feature.  Finding out ic might be fun and if you're a noble you could write a book about it, keep the game world rich. . Diong a quest to go on a voyage on one would be a waste of time though.

I think actually adding it all in would make playing in Red Storm much more entertaining.

Actually having the possiblity of playing a pc that is on the crew of a skimmer or maybe the captain would be a blast.

It would be something very nice as possible roles for Red Storm pcs.

Red Storm doesn't need to be a game focus right now.  There is another thread about closing clans because people think the game is too far spread already.  No to mention the work it would likely take to implement skimmmres and make it worth it.  This is generally probably an idea that should be avoided for now.

Humorously enough, Red Storm is a game focus right now. While I am not advocating that we add silt-skimmers to the list of awesome things about Red Storm, I do not oppose it either. It would be a very interesting and fun feature, much like hunting anakore is.

I am saddened by those who are so against more Armageddon.

I love the feeling of having a virtually endless world all around.
Peril seems to work better as a means to keep the playerbase concentrated enough for playability  than end-of-world lines while allowing the adventurous soul room enough for  a lonely and distant grave.

One day when 'I' happened to be travelling a lot further than I'd ever though I would, a nagging fear  kept sticking at the back of my thoughts.... what if, behind these rocks and those mountains and all that might be between... 'I'd end up emerging to a civilized world. Bilinded by flashlights, honking cars, ... the entire culture shock. Somehow that idea scared me more than the prospect of 'my' bones bleaching in the ever present sun.
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

One of these days, I tell ya, one of these days I'm gonna explore the ARM gameworld properly. All I've done so far is run around Tuluk and 'Nak, and get killed by critters out in the wastes. I haven't even had the chance to fall off the shield wall yet. Poor me. Maybe I should join the Byn sometime.

I've met characters IG with exploration aspirations, and listening to them speak of their plans is always exciting. Too bad they've probably all died in unpleasant fashions.

But speaking of the silt sea, well, I've heard a fair few wacky stories IG from people who claimed they sailed it once, or claimed they met someone who sailed it once. Dunno how many of 'em are true or not. Probably none, but it still sparks the imagination.
he stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

Quote from: "Uglyhead"But speaking of the silt sea, well, I've heard a fair few wacky stories IG from people who claimed they sailed it once, or claimed they met someone who sailed it once. Dunno how many of 'em are true or not. Probably none, but it still sparks the imagination.

It is only true virtually, at the moment.

For the most part, it is only true virtually. But there have been folks who actually sailed on the Sea.

Bummer, I always wanted to try it...
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"For the most part, it is only true virtually. But there have been folks who actually sailed on the Sea.

Why, when I was a young whipper-snapper like yourself..
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley