mounts

Started by darksheep, December 24, 2003, 09:52:30 PM

Quick questions:
1) Does the mount change everytime you stable it? ie. Same description but different mount.
2) What are your opinion on Erdlus? Do their speed out weigh their lack of stamina and strength?

1.   Yes, I believe so.  Each time you retrieve your mount, you're getting an NPC of that same specific type, but it is having its stats randomly generated.   This might mean that one day, your inix can carry 800 stones of weight, and the next time you ride him, he's maxed out at 550.
This is how it used to be, at least.  Perhaps now that you can personalize mounts with 'title', they've changed it so you get the identicle mount back... but I don't think so.

2.  you sorta outlined the pros and cons of erdlus already.  It's really a judgement call, and a matter of opinion... and I don't have one.

Are there any plans to change the randomizing of stabled mounts? I mean, if you were to stable your horse at a stable, the stablehands would easily be able to tell your horse from the others, and you're probably going to get your own horse back.

And why isn't it illegal to kill someones mount?
that is like 350 coins I lose every other day :) If I didn't make a good living as a thief.. it might hurt me a bit :(
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "sacac"And why isn't it illegal to kill someones mount?
It is illegal to use the command 'kill' in civilized areas, from what I can tell.  Are you sure that it's not?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "sacac"And why isn't it illegal to kill someones mount?
that is like 350 coins I lose every other day :) If I didn't make a good living as a thief.. it might hurt me a bit :(

I think it's set that way, because tired people sometimes type 'hit kank' instead of 'hitch kank'.
And it would suck to get wanted, attacking your kank, and having the soldiers come in to rescue the poor kank.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What I do is mount the kank first, then I hitch it to prevent that. But that does risk a certain amount of time for someone to grab the reins and take off I guess. Does anyone think it is possible for the stablehand to automaticly hitch the kank to you, or have you hop on its back like you do when you first buy a mount?
uppers.

Yes I do know it isn't illegal.. My last character.. killled a couple kank while someone was riding them.. and never got wanted.. so.. I guess it isn't

(Note*)
I blame whatevre your PCs do, on thier player.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Here is the way that I think the mount situation should be handled.

When the mount is sold to you, it should have random stats, as defined by the mount's race file. The reason that the mount's stats should not be stable during purchasing is that the condition of mounts vary greatly in real life, and so I say that they should as well in Armageddon. You could conceivably make a dwarf who's focus was to find the most powerful kank in the world as long as random stats are still assigned during purchasing.

When the mount is stabled, the ticket object should, besides noting the mount's VNUM, also note the mount's stats. When the Mount is reloaded during the process of redeeming the ticket, the system should load the NPC and give it the stats noted upon the ticket object. The stats which should be noted are: Hitpoints/Stun/Movement/Strength/Agility/Endurance.

This is the way to fix it, and I think that this is one thing that is a serious issue and will be well worth the time involved in coding it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What about wisdom!?!? I'm sure more intelligent mounts come in handy from time to time!! Can't we include that too!!! Hmph.

Creeper rides off on his business-suited erdlu.
21sters Unite!

And skills!  

That rugged battle-kank you've been training need to remember his moves!

And age!

That kank you've had for 10 years needs to get old.  

The old rugged ranger has arrived from the west, riding a middle aged, battle-hardened warkank.

Anyways, I -think- I remember hearing that the problem of stats rerolling every time you rent a mount had been fixed.  Or was I hallucinating?
Ah, the mysteries of the universe.  Try to understand them, but can you?  Nope! They're mysteries!

How come after I dismount from an animal and try to mount it again, it tells me that the mount can't support my weight, when clearly I was riding it just a moment ago?

Most likely, when you mounted it you were under the weight limit. And then picked things up on the way leaving you OVER the weight limit. That'd be my guess. Although I don't have extensive experience with mounts, so I'm not positive by any means.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Did you just buy the kank? Cause I think when you buy a brand new mount, it automaticly makes you hop on its back, even if you weigh to much. Other then that, I think it is a bug.
uppers.

He didn't say it was a kank.. and he asked about erdlus earlier.. so that's my guess.  

When you first purchase a mount, it automatically plants you on its back, even if it can't handle your weight... which you'll notice after the first time you try to remount it, or until it collapses under your fat gut, whichever comes first.

You should try to 'view <mountname>' at the stable where you initially purchase them... it will give you an idea of whether or not the critter can carry you.

Well when I viewed the erdlu in the stables, it said that it would most likely support my weight, and I didn't pick up anything afterwards; so I'm not really sure what the problem is. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for everyone's help.

I have. Generally, if you think that your character could ride an ostrich IRL, you can ride an erdlue. Keep that in mind. It has not failed me yet.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Maybe the erdlu needs some rest? They got tired too!
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quote from: "Lasakar"Maybe the erdlu needs some rest? They got tired too!

No, it's the way the mount purchase code works.  It's happened to me.  You buy it and mount it automatically, ride it for a bit, rest it and bingo, you can't mount it again because it won't support your weight.

I wished up and Halaster fixed it for me temporarily, but first he made it talk to me and call me names.  True story.

Quote from: "CRW"I wished up and Halaster fixed it for me temporarily, but first he made it talk to me and call me names.  True story.

How did he fix it temporarily? Did the mount work again after you stabled it?

Strength stat fix, I imagine.

I dunno how he fixed it, but I could mount it again.  I died to a halfling before I could stable it so who knows.  Such is life running from Allanak.