Tattoo artist subguild

Started by 707, September 03, 2024, 02:55:45 PM

For years....years...eons...I have wanted this.  Well done staff. Thank you!

Cheers

September 03, 2024, 03:26:07 PM #1 Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 03:27:43 PM by Dresan
Small question but will tattoo artists be able to redo existing tattoos?

This is fucking awesome
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

I think this is really cool and I'm happy staff put this skill into the game.

I am hoping that tattooing progresses faster than drawing, for two reasons. First, drawing progresses painfully slowly in my opinion.  Second, tattooing would be more difficult to get practice repetitions doing.  On that note, it would be cool if it were possible to practice tattooing on leather and some kinds of fruit, for example, both of which I understand are sometimes done in RL (though I am far from an expert on this topic).
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on September 03, 2024, 04:51:55 PMI think this is really cool and I'm happy staff put this skill into the game.

I am hoping that tattooing progresses faster than drawing, for two reasons. First, drawing progresses painfully slowly in my opinion.  Second, tattooing would be more difficult to get practice repetitions doing.  On that note, it would be cool if it were possible to practice tattooing on leather and some kinds of fruit, for example, both of which I understand are sometimes done in RL (though I am far from an expert on this topic).

I don't know if it would be 'so' bad if you could cover over your own tattoos on yourself, but you'd still wanna have a couple like... discreet places you're practicing that you don't uncover for people that are probably wrecked, like your toes. I'm assuming you can tattoo your toes. I know you can /buy/ tattoos on your fingers (even if you can't look at them which is a weird bug and I wish would be fixed) and I'm not sure if fingers will be tattooable as a PC tattooist location or how that all is gonna work. It would be really cool if you could practice on fruits or leather though, yeah, as that's how a lot of people do IRL, though there's also a pretty cool video of a primitive stick and poke tattooist named Whangod who learned along with her friend by tattooing one another and just tattooing in layers over the tattoos. Pretty interesting story and tattooist if you should choose to look her up.

Quotehelp tattoo locations

Tattoo Locations                                                   (Gameplay)

The following are valid locations for applying a tattoo or scars.  Gear
that covers up these locations, will also cover up the tattoo.

head             face           right eyebrow        left eyebrow 
  eyes             tongue         lips          neck           throat
  body             right nipple   left nipple   navel          pelvis
  back             arms           right wrist   left wrist      hands
  waist            legs           right ankle   left ankle      feet
  right shoulder   left shoulder  forearms
  left finger   left finger 2   left finger 3   left finger 4
  left finger 5
  right finger   right finger 2   right finger 3   right finger 4
  right finger 5

See also:
   tattoo, wear locations, change locdescs

Halastar posted that when talking about locations where PCs could tattoos - so should be able to hopefully do all of them.
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Okay that's incredibly helpful, I was looking with the same syntax as wear syntax because that was what it was showing up as being for on a look, maybe next time I log in and try a look at left finger 4 or whatever that will work instead. Much appreciated.  8)

nice! something cool to spend big money on for PCs who like it low key.

Codedly the game doesn't stop you from overwriting a tattoo (or scar!) with a new tattoo.  I thought about adding that, but would rather rely on player judgement, because sometimes you can coverup a tattoo with a newer one.  Just make sure it "makes sense".

If you have an elaborate tattoo on your neck, you can't cover it up with a simple circle tattoo.  But the reverse could be true if it starts as a circle, then as you get better you 'add' to it with a more elaborate design that includes that original circle.

If you think about it 'realistically' and handle it with good judgement, then you can overwrite an existing tattoo.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

One way I can think of that "practicing" would make sense, would be to do a tattoo on yourself a little butt at a time.
Start with just a couple lines, add some detail, make it larger... I can see like the cliche barbed wire tattoo, taking several "tries" to finish it up.

Will the Heavy Mercantile Guilds get the skill?

Nope. Specialized subclass only. :)

Will guards that check tattoos for access handle PC tattoos differently?  PCs will be able to tell the difference OOC'ly due to quality. But would someone be able to use this to sneak into Tuluk, for instance?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I'm waiting for the equivalent of kanji that do not say what the purchaser thinks they say in Zalanthas.

You think that depiction of the rampant gwoshi means you're a brave warrior, but to a Muarki it means you like doughnuts (or whatever).

Quote from: Tuannon on September 04, 2024, 01:43:42 PMI'm waiting for the equivalent of kanji that do not say what the purchaser thinks they say in Zalanthas.

You think that depiction of the rampant gwoshi means you're a brave warrior, but to a Muarki it means you like doughnuts (or whatever).

That and Bynners will never sleep IG again for fear of forehead dick tattoos.

I think the only thing I WANT want is to be able to buy scars of 'healing flesh' or whatever. Faded scars are great, but what if you have a rash from something or other that eventually heals? You buy a scar for the rash but then you need to get staff intervention to recover from it, or worse if you forget altogether.

To the topic, maybe a bloody patch of inked or whatever skin until the tattoo heals and then you have whatever.

Quote from: Tuannon on September 04, 2024, 06:05:22 PMI think the only thing I WANT want is to be able to buy scars of 'healing flesh' or whatever. Faded scars are great, but what if you have a rash from something or other that eventually heals? You buy a scar for the rash but then you need to get staff intervention to recover from it, or worse if you forget altogether.

To the topic, maybe a bloody patch of inked or whatever skin until the tattoo heals and then you have whatever.

We have temporary descriptions (tdesc) for things that are non-permanent. :)

Quote from: Markku on September 04, 2024, 09:53:32 AMOne way I can think of that "practicing" would make sense, would be to do a tattoo on yourself a little butt at a time.

Unless someone likes those big butt tats...just sayin'.

September 06, 2024, 04:50:47 PM #18 Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 04:52:25 PM by OutridersDontExist
Quote from: Halaster on September 04, 2024, 08:38:53 AMCodedly the game doesn't stop you from overwriting a tattoo (or scar!) with a new tattoo.  I thought about adding that, but would rather rely on player judgement, because sometimes you can coverup a tattoo with a newer one.  Just make sure it "makes sense".

If you have an elaborate tattoo on your neck, you can't cover it up with a simple circle tattoo.  But the reverse could be true if it starts as a circle, then as you get better you 'add' to it with a more elaborate design that includes that original circle.

If you think about it 'realistically' and handle it with good judgement, then you can overwrite an existing tattoo.

IMO this is a very realistic take on tattooing as is the suggestion I saw about tattooing yourself a million times to practice.

Three suggestions:

1.) Assign 'size' to tattoos. You can cover up a 'tiny' tattoo with a 'small' tattoo and a 'small' with a 'medium-small,' etc. Tiny/Small/Med-Small/Med/Med-Large/Large/Huge range. This also gives a single ooc metric of conformity for realistic expectations that can be referenced later.
2.) Tie together drawing + tattooing. Master tattoos should only be achievable by someone who's spent their time drawing them out in all of their waking free time.
3.) Anyone should be able do do terrible quality tattoos. It's so easy to tattoo yourself RL that it can be done accidentally. This would be 'bad stick and poke' quality.

Seems to me you practice tattooing by not doing it all at once.

1. a line of black dots
2. A solid black line
3. Several solid black lines
4. The outline of half of a tembo
5. A tembo inked in black lines
6. A tembo inked in black lines, partially colored
7. A realistic tattoo of a roaring tembo

Just like those folks that get a partial, due to the time it takes.  Or get the outline, until they can afford to color it in.  Not like all tattoos get done in one session, even in RL.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I think there should be a way to make clan tattoos that can't be used by others.

Quote from: Buster Bunny on September 06, 2024, 06:52:12 PMI think there should be a way to make clan tattoos that can't be used by others.

You want a clan-locked repeatable tattoo that can be applied pc to pc? That's already a thing. tattoos can be applied PC to PC by special tattoo needles. And of course the existing system of clan locked tattoo shopkeepers.

So the only missing bit is asking your staffer to let you design a clan one. Which I'm sure is feasible if you've the subguild 

How to tell if a needle and ink are right for tattooing?  They should have 'tattoo' in the sdesc, but also, if you assess them:

assess needle
You assess a thin, bone tattoo needle...
...it is primarily made of bone.
...is used by artists to apply tattoos.
...appears to be of below average quality.
...it is very light.

assess ink
You assess a small ceramic bottle of black tattoo ink...
...it is primarily made of glass.
...is used by artists to create tattoos.
...has enough ink for a few tattoos.
...it is very light.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

If for vague example I was involved in a dumb thing that a lot of people died in, can I put in a request (and probably get staff pattercake) about a design for a giant green snake eating a Regular or whatever as appropriate?

Very cool!

Any reason this subguild isn't available for elementalists in the character builder?  Same question for Master Brewer.