Human Tribes

Started by Balreska, July 21, 2024, 04:59:04 AM

Are there any intentions to make human tribes available for live play? I don't have the karma to play Desert Elves and find tribals an interesting concept.

Quote from: Balreska on July 21, 2024, 04:59:04 AMAre there any intentions to make human tribes available for live play? I don't have the karma to play Desert Elves and find tribals an interesting concept.

I would dearly love the opportunity to play a Rihali or an Ara'Seik and would like to know this as well.

With the twin tribes being parked right outside cenyr, it's a perfect opportunity to open them honestly.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

While I like those tribes just fine, I'm not sure I really think we need to move back in the direction of more clans with their own headquarters away from everything else, honestly.

I think that was pointedly something Arm was trying to move away from.

Quote from: Windstorm on July 21, 2024, 03:53:42 PMWhile I like those tribes just fine, I'm not sure I really think we need to move back in the direction of more clans with their own headquarters away from everything else, honestly.

I think that was pointedly something Arm was trying to move away from.
I would normally agree but currently there's zero options for people wanting to play clanned tribals. Clanned tribals being in the vrun is an important part of the experience in my opinion. I'll also point out that as opposed to elven tribes, human tribes tend to be very trade-heavy and pro interaction.

I don't think playing clanned tribals necessarily needs to be an option, sadly. Where do they fit within the current plotline? or do they at all? I think that is a major factor in opening/keeping them closed.

It's just that going back in the direction of diluting the playerbase into tiny groupings that, in a lot of cases, never even wound up having a lot of playtime overlap with each other is a danger and a past mistake that needs to be kept in mind and actively avoided.

Clanned tribals based in or around Allanak or Red Storm? Sure, if it can be tied in well with other things going on. But then that takes staff work and staff oversight and staff building (items, tents, character creation and setup, blah blah) and placement and more NPCs to animate (elders, etc) that will generally only have to do with a few PCs at most.

If they're truly involved and world-relevant, great. If not... in every other way, it's running counter to a lot of the things I think Seasons was trying to correct.

I would support tribal raider clans players could pick up as secondary characters.

But on topic I bet that if someone really wanted to make a human tribe overarchingly important in the future, now would be a good time to play a PC with said tribal background who joins up with the supported merchant clans now and starts doing cool shit.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

If we can have Desert Elves, we can have Human Tribals around Nak. I could see tribals having an interest in the  current storyline, it affects their home. They would probably know where to look for stuff out there, lead people to lucrative areas out in the desert better than city folks. Cenyr itself might be a cool spot, maybe an offshoot of the road could be built to there, to make getting their exports easier.

Needs more dorf tribes. Get at your boy.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rihali got a rotating camp late last year that got them out of the flats most of the year. They trade. We just fixed up their promotion scheme.  And with Sun runners gone there isn't any more overlap (tho it was cool). They'd be ideal for this season. Or Araseik or at least some Araseik that work for kurac. Or tan Muark to drive around and be pissed about anyone mucking about in their old lands. 

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on July 21, 2024, 06:03:02 PMI would support tribal raider clans players could pick up as secondary characters.

But on topic I bet that if someone really wanted to make a human tribe overarchingly important in the future, now would be a good time to play a PC with said tribal background who joins up with the supported merchant clans now and starts doing cool shit.

"Become a sweatshop employee so your family can maybe (maybe, but probably not) be a playable clan 3 IRL years down the line" isn't a very promising or heartening pitch.

Quote from: Balreska on July 22, 2024, 04:50:39 AM
Quote from: LindseyBalboa on July 21, 2024, 06:03:02 PMI would support tribal raider clans players could pick up as secondary characters.

"Become a sweatshop employee so your family can maybe (maybe, but probably not) be a playable clan 3 IRL years down the line" isn't a very promising or heartening pitch.

"But on topic I bet that if someone really wanted to make a human tribe overarchingly important in the future, now would be a good time to play a PC with said tribal background who joins up with the supported merchant clans now and starts doing cool shit."

"... now would be a good time to play a PC with said tribal background who joins up with the supported merchant clans now and starts doing cool shit."

"... joins up with the supported merchant clans now and starts doing cool shit."

"... starts doing cool shit."

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,60349.0.html

while crafting is available for those that think it's cool shit, crafting is not a focus for season 1 and likely wouldn't achieve legendary status for a tribal's family.

i bet an al'seik that became known as Copper-Nose for an unerring ability to sniff out metal mines would probably find more success.
sad

Are you suggesting spec app into a lone tribal to join a clan you could advance start into instead, in the hopes it'll open your tribe in a future season?

I mean that sounds legit and cool goal but it doesn't address the issue now that there are exactly 2 tribes open and one needs 1 karma and the other needs 2, and they're both elvish tribes.

Having played a long lived human tribal with a virtual tribe, and then staffed all human tribes... it's not the same. The point of tribal play is the unique experience of interacting with your kin vs with outsiders. You don't get that as a solo tribal.

(Yeah the other unique experience of tribal play is that it's also a cozy happy home for magickers, but that varies by tribe and if staff don't want it then there are no-magick options like the arabet and tan Muark who are also both very social with civilization centers)

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on July 22, 2024, 03:30:40 PMi bet an al'seik that became known as Copper-Nose for an unerring ability to sniff out metal mines would probably find more success.

The only issue being, you can't actually play one.

Quote from: Balreska on July 23, 2024, 06:29:23 AM
Quote from: LindseyBalboa on July 22, 2024, 03:30:40 PMi bet an al'seik that became known as Copper-Nose for an unerring ability to sniff out metal mines would probably find more success.

The only issue being, you can't actually play one.

I was honestly under the assumption that a tribal that wanted to live with another clan and not their tribe would have to be a spec app anyway, which I guess isn't a sure thing at all but seems like it'd pass.

Quote from: Agent_137 on July 22, 2024, 04:07:02 PMAre you suggesting spec app into a lone tribal to join a clan you could advance start into instead, in the hopes it'll open your tribe in a future season?

Yessir just thought it sounded cool and something that could be done now. I like struggle.

I'm generally a fan of 'all tribes open.' And if the season had been planned that way or felt like it could support that I'd be all about it.

But I think an important part of consideration for any open/closed tribes in a set timeline of play is where they fit into the overarching plots: will they split off the playerbase, what is their role in relation to The Plot(s), is that role filled by others, etc.

Opening up a clan in the middle of a 'season' when that clan didn't get any planning or support or coding or updating or staff assigned to it, has to be a lot more difficult in such a 'static' and planned environment when every other part of the game had months of attention prior to players even seeing it. Staff didn't have to plan for longevity since there's an end to the timeline and so they put their effort into a finite and defined area.

And I don't just mean difficult for staff but difficult for players as well. I'd almost consider it unfair to unknowing players to have the experience of what basically amounts to rushed DLC content with 50 year old NPCs and without the benefit of the care that was able to go everywhere else.

A clan that can drop in as part of an established clan is the only viable way I can personally think of introducing a new clan without someone or someones taking on a lot of work for a rushed product.

Maybe some of the tribal clans in some way fit into established clans in-game now?

But I mean I honestly 100% would love to be wrong as I think the more options the better.
sad

Good point.  Lore wise seik can and do drop into Kurac. Tan Muark also can join clans kinda.   But it dilutes the purpose of playing tribal to the point of "why bother" unless you just love the backgrounds and don't care about actual tribal play.

I'm okay with staff implicitly saying "desert tribal play isn't a focus of this season ya lucky ya got 2moon deal with it" but I'm still sad about it 

I believe the OOC theme of this season is 'try to attempt to do cool shit, and include others, and we will facilitate <3 staff'. If that's crafting themed for you, I feel like it's only going to get encouragement.
FN: VooDoo_Tree, Arm: Kevo, Raptor_Dan, Discord: Ain_Soph, Walter_Schmalter, RL: Kevin, Blue Sky, Alex Marzenia.

Your only job is to breathe. Keep breathing.