Question: What's up with Trample?

Started by Kavrick, July 18, 2024, 10:40:42 AM

So I only recently noticed that not a single class/subclass in the game gets trample. Everyone can branch trample at a certain ride skill, but it only goes to j-man due to being a global skill. Why is this? I noticed an issue that if you're playing something like scout/stalker/raider (mounted classes), trample only goes so high, so it completely stops working against things that have any decent defence.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

Might be a logistics consideration around being in like close range combat and the feasibility of creating space enough to trample something?

Being mounted with a high ride can feel pretty crazy sometimes with how much it feels like it boosts combat capability, and tacking high levels of trample onto that would be really pretty over the top. This is my opinion and I have no emotional investment in it.

I dunno why it was added. It's older than release notes thread. But it's nice to have. The help file says it's really only useful on fallen opponents attacking you.  So it was probably a case of "I KO'd them / they missed bash / I succeeded charge so why can't I walk on them to do damage and delay them getting up?"

And staff was like sure, but not too OP and we're not gonna  touch messing with classes. 

Just guessing, but it's one of those things that if used for what it's intended it seems fine. Are you missing targets already on the ground? Or are you trying to use it like bash?

Quote from: Agent_137 on July 18, 2024, 11:55:45 AMI dunno why it was added. It's older than release notes thread. But it's nice to have. The help file says it's really only useful on fallen opponents attacking you.  So it was probably a case of "I KO'd them / they missed bash / I succeeded charge so why can't I walk on them to do damage and delay them getting up?"
I would agree with this, but the delay on charge can sometimes be longer than the delay for the enemy standing up, I often try to follow up a charge with a trample but the enemy just stands up before I can.

Yeah I think that's intentional ya gotta spam flee e; walk; w; charge target

Because we have the above, I'm fine with trample being an edge case thing that's mostly for coup de gras and bash punish on carru.

July 18, 2024, 01:00:35 PM #5 Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 04:16:51 PM by Dresan
As I recall there was a lot of heartache after the changes to the original versions of charge, going from multiple charges to only allowing people to do so once to initiate battle, so trample was added in rather hastily to quell the masses at the time. However, it was deemed too strong to be able to charge then repeatedly trample upon PC/NPC, particularly those already on foot. This was especially true with trample having a chance to knock some down again. Thus we ended we have the water down version we see today.

That said, I think trample is a good example of skill bloat which has occurred since the implementation of classes and has progressively become worse over time with the various changes over the years. I much rather have one good skill but very class/race limited skill that promote meaningful choice than purposeless fluff. In the case of trample, I don't mind seeing it buffed, but made purely repeatable damage skill with no CC potential. Also because its more geared towards damage and not ambush tactics perhaps it given to fighters and soldiers who would value more damage over time in calvary or army settings.

This is probably not what people want to hear but having high levels of both Charge and Trample should likely be a very specific race or class/subguild choice.

Quote from: Dresan on July 18, 2024, 01:00:35 PMIn the case of trample, I don't mind seeing it buffed, but made purely repeatable damage skill with no CC potential.

This is basically what I kinda thought. It being a 'kick' that you can use on your mount. If they removed the cc part that'd be fine.