Combat skills:disarm

Started by Dresan, July 10, 2024, 05:50:03 AM

July 10, 2024, 05:50:03 AM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 06:18:51 AM by Dresan
Disarm is the signature skill of warriors but even at master/max the skill is not just unreliable to use but its almost dangerous to have.

I don't have too many concern with the skill failing as much as it does at master/cap, but the weapon fumbling just feels bad. On top of this, even if you don't use the skill, the auto-reverse forces you to disarm and you can end up fumbling your weapon too.

I've been contemplating as just reporting it as bugged because its so odd to see a character fumble their weapon and then proceed to punch the opponent to death due to the massive skill difference. It is completely immersion breaking to me since it happens fairly often. 

I am not sure if its perhaps because the skill may have a strength component to it, but if it does I would argue that combat techniques including kick should have an almost equal agility component to it. Yes, size and strength matter in combat but so does speed and technique.

These fumbles really only seem to happen when you have similar levels in disarm? I've stopped using it in spars against some opponents because it seems to never fail and just wastes time while they get their weapon back.

Disarm skill may be similar even when your general combat abilities are not.

July 10, 2024, 07:11:44 AM #2 Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 07:31:56 AM by Dresan
I don't believe this is the case, since you can still fumble on opponents that don't have the skill to reverse you.

I can't quite put my finger on what is going on but again, I don't mind the skill being unreliable but the fumbling gets annoying when it happens as often as it does at the highest level of the skill. Even if it turns out to be mostly an NPC thing, I am perfectly fine with disarm resistant NPCs, but the fumbling is an unnecessary penalty for having a signature skill.

I still don't see the issue with this at similar skill levels. Masters still make mistakes and these occasionally come back to bite you when your opponent knows what they're doing.

July 10, 2024, 08:07:19 AM #4 Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:23:42 AM by Dresan
Quote from: rinthrat on July 10, 2024, 07:54:55 AMI still don't see the issue with this at similar skill levels. Masters still make mistakes and these occasionally come back to bite you when your opponent knows what they're doing.

Against similarly skilled opponents, your disarm attempt gets reversed.

If they attempt it, you auto-reverse and potentially have a chance to fumble your weapon.

I don't doubt you aren't seeing what I am seeing, but the reason isn't because of having similar skill levels.

It may just be more of an NPC thing but i am unsure, and its still fairly annoying.

Quote from: Dresan on July 10, 2024, 08:07:19 AM
Quote from: rinthrat on July 10, 2024, 07:54:55 AMI still don't see the issue with this at similar skill levels. Masters still make mistakes and these occasionally come back to bite you when your opponent knows what they're doing.

Against similarly skilled opponents, your disarm attempt gets reversed.

If they attempt it, you auto-reverse and potentially have a chance to fumble your weapon.

I don't doubt you aren't seeing what I am seeing, but the reason isn't because of having similar skill levels.

It may just be more of an NPC thing but i am unsure, and its still fairly annoying.

I've been fighting PCs, not NPCs, so - maybe?

July 24, 2024, 06:50:26 PM #6 Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 07:29:05 PM by Dresan
I am still not fully sure what is going on but I think what may be happening is the two-handed skill in combination with its skill level and perhaps also strength have some legacy disarm bonuses from Morgenes' two-handed update era.

The bonus is so huge that it is allowing a two-handed user with subclass level disarm skill to sometimes even be able to successfully disarm a max-cap disarm duel-wielding opponent who is at much higher skill offense/defense levels. Meanwhile a lot of fumbling will happen to max-cap player if they attempt to disarm or even auto-reverses within this scenario.

I am not sure this is a bug but it certainly doesn't feel good either.

Staff can see a lot of combat calculations as they happen.  If you think something is buggy make a request to have someone look at it. 

I'm not saying don't also make a thread like this, thread is good.  But don't just do the thread.

Normally i do, when its an obvious bug. And depending on the bug, i use ingame tool or send a more detailed request.

However, this one may not technically be a 'bug', and has been hard to detect since it becomes more obvious under specific conditions and with specific experience.

If its not a bug then it would be a combat change or improvement, and those are typically much rarer in this game, outside of morgenes or halaster level overhauls. :'(

I will send one in though.

Pst...

If you have 'riposte' active, you actually don't automatically counter-disarm. It's supposed to be considered a 'weakness' of riposte but it's actually a massive buff. Use that in the mean time.

Quote from: rinthrat on July 10, 2024, 06:32:43 AMThese fumbles really only seem to happen when you have similar levels in disarm? I've stopped using it in spars against some opponents because it seems to never fail and just wastes time while they get their weapon back.

Meaty hits on unarmed recruits is a prime opportunity for them to learn footwork.