Auto Caps and Punctuation

Started by val, June 21, 2024, 09:32:57 AM

I'd like to suggest code that automatically capitalizes letters in says and talks at the start of the say or talk, and following any periods. Additionally, to have a period automatically inserted at the end if there isn't one or some other punctuation, like it does with emotes. It would help correct the issue with unknown languages, where the first letter is never capitalized. Additionally, some people play from their phones, have janky shift keys, or type quickly but are watching for responses, etc. If someone wants to make it a stylistic choice, perhaps for special emphasis ('a. lot. of. rocks' rather than 'A. Lot. Of. Rocks' or something), maybe a special character could be inserted that would create an exception to the rule.

I don't really want to debate this suggestion, I just wanted to put it in the place for it. Thanks!

Sounds great to me. Nothing to debate.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

As a mobile player: PLEASE.
It's @CalmThyPalm everywhere.

There are apparently also several blind players who use readers to input text to the game. Those readers don't know capital letters, and punctuation isn't always caught by readers that translate voice.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yes!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

This seems really super sensible and straightforward (as an idea). I have zero clue what the impact would be from a code-effort perspective but I can throw it in front of them. I don't really feel like there's a huge amount to debate here. If anyone has any vehement opposition to proper punctuation in our little writing game I'm not sure what to say.  ;D

Yarse.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

as long as this auto formatting can be avoided in some way similar to <the language mangling prevention> I think this would be an improvement to the game

Quote from: Usiku on June 21, 2024, 11:00:17 AMIf anyone has any vehement opposition to proper punctuation in our little writing game I'm not sure what to say.  ;D

***FROTHING***

Nah, I love it. I think it would help a lot, just in the ways mentioned above. Another advantage is that it will give newbies who may not be used to the code yet the veneer of a more-experienced player. Which I think is a good thing because newbies can feel awkward about being IDed in-game as newbies.

Also then we never again have to hear complaints about "players of [PC type] don't use punctuation correctly." Anything that slows the roll of the Wheel of Hate gets a huge thumbs-up from me.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yes please. The occasional lack of periods (and even worse, capital letters) have haunted me since I started playing this game years ago.

Yes please.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

this sounds great. i'm trying to think of cases where i'd not want a capital after a period in the middle of a say/tell... perhaps after the ellipsis. I can't think of others. We don't use abbreviations like Mr. or Lt.

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 21, 2024, 01:26:14 PMthis sounds great. i'm trying to think of cases where i'd not want a capital after a period in the middle of a say/tell... perhaps after the ellipsis. I can't think of others. We don't use abbreviations like Mr. or Lt.
Oh. Yeah, maybe just don't capitalize anything after an ellipses.
It's @CalmThyPalm everywhere.

Good shout!

I do want to hijack this thread briefly to say.. please do remember that we have a LOT of new players right now, so while there may be more folks around that seem less 'up to the standard' than you are used to, be reminded of the learning curve for this game, be patient, be supportive, be a good example and try to help them in their journey. We were all newbies at one point.

There are also possibly more people than before engaging with game via mobile and that might take them some getting used to (not everybody has or can afford a computer). I can't do it, but I know we have incredible players that use mobile just fine but I reckon that learning curve is even steeper!

I once tried playing Arm on my computer. Ended up with a sore posterior.
Steadfast support for a unified regime,
Is how humankind will reign supreme.

Please. I know it can be a stylistic choice and I'm unsure why it bothers me so much, but someone just not using capitalization throws me off every time. I don't think it comes across ass intended, at least with me.

I actually run into a weird problem where proper capitalization and punctuation is effectively automatic for me.

But that runs into the problem where the ingame commands to talk and so on are not automatic because instead of parsing it as

talk Hello how are you?

I end up with

Talk hello how are you?

Because I don't even have to think about capitalizing the first letter of the first word, I end up doing it poorly for talk unless I really sit down and think about it, which is a bit annoying to get used to. So I'd 100% like this if possible, really.

Occasionally I want to not have caps and periods, for rambling or disconnected speech, but I'm on keyboard, so I assume it would be easy enough to edit it out.

I have the greatest respect for you guys on phones!
That beauty and truth should pass utterly