R.I.P. Miradus / Bragi

Started by Halaster, June 14, 2024, 01:30:09 PM

I've been notified by his wife that Miradus (aka Bragi on Discord, aka Ernie in RL) passed away in February.  He played a number of well-known characters, the ones I'm most familiar with were Havarty, Volkspatus, Pikawik, and Templar Sandomir of Allanak.  He brought a lot of entertainment to a lot of people, staff included.  He will be missed.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Playing with him was an absolute delight. Pox and Shroom, best friends forever!

Oh God. We spoke a lot, and I hadn't spoken to him in a few months. Devastated. He had such a wonderful mind, what a tragic loss.

RIP, enjoyed a lot of time with him in game.
Veteran Newbie

I am deeply saddened to hear this.
I'm a little bit emotional now even though I did not know Miradus, my memories of Volkspatus are as vivid as if it were just yesterday.
We will be meeting soon, brother.

Wow this hit hard. I was privileged to be a cheerleader for many of his characters, including his many odd-duck antagonists. We had some DM conversations as well, and I always though he was an asset to the game. I'd wondered where he wandered off to over the past months. Very sad to hear this news.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I missed the opportunity to play alongside him and was hoping for that come seasons. Fortunately I did get to staff him a few times on his Crimson Wind characters and his psionicist. I enjoyed talking with him off topic too. He was like a lot of us, a computer geek earnestly invested in the community and game. Gonna miss him. 

I had such hit or miss experiences with Miradus (sometimes we butted heads, sometimes in big time agreement) but he was a really good writer whose presence will be missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.  :(

Oh jeeze, he and I talked a fair bit too, but I hadn't heard from him in a while and just assumed he'd quit the game. That's really sad to hear about, I hope his family is doing okay.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

One of my absolute favourite players. I ended up alongside a PC of his for a whole RL day right after rolling a new PC after a 12 year break, I then got his PC killed by accident (/he died saving my PCs life, "Ruuuunnn!").. and bawled my eyes out afterwards. But he totally got me hooked on the game again, so I possibly wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. He just always had so many quirky and creative ideas, the kind of stuff nobody else could come up with and such a wonderful confidence and spark. He just had his own way of doing things that was so utterly unique. Honestly, you have never seen so much kudos as there is on his account despite him driving so many of you bonkers from time to time.

This was the dwarf, it was a really short-lived PC (because of me) whose focus was to discover hidden ancient ruins and treasure and he was looking for these ruins in the Grey Forest.. I don't think he ever actually got to see this, or if he did, he didn't know it was a portrait of one of his PCs, I hadn't gotten to telling him and I am going to long regret not getting to that sooner. But it will be our 'dwarf' image on the new (touch wood) website.

I remember having to speak with him about his antagonising with Volkspatus, he was doing stuff and winding people up without much RP around it (which actually wasn't really his style). And it turned out his eyesight had just gotten really bad and he was panicking every time he got into it because he couldn't see well or read fast or respond quickly and that was just so endearing.

Anyway, I'm rambling but I needed to share I guess. I never spoke to him outside of the game or request tool, because I don't really do that. But he was such a wonderfully creative and unique player that I feel Zalanthas won't be quite the same without him and I am incredibly incredibly saddened by this news. Absolutely taken too soon and my heart breaks for his family.

We are discussing what we can do within our game or perhaps website so that we have a place to remember people from our community more officially, we have lost three people in the last year that we know of and I do feel like we need something.

Condolences to his family and friends. I didn't really know him, not sure if we played together much, but it's always sad when a member of a community you're a part of is lost.  :(

Agreed Usiku, we should have a legend of players who've made this game as great as it is.

Rest in Peace Miradus, you absolute Legend.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

If anyone has any ideas of what might be a good way to memorialise I would love to hear them. I don't know about others here, but I feel like this is going to weigh heavy on me until I do something.

I feel like having an "In Memorium" on the website would be nice or an addendum to wizlist that includes handles of players / staff no longer with us.

It might be cool to add statues to the Hall of Kings that commemorate them? With a short blurb about their contributions to the community and game as their desc.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Usiku on June 15, 2024, 07:38:31 AMIf anyone has any ideas of what might be a good way to memorialise I would love to hear them. I don't know about others here, but I feel like this is going to weigh heavy on me until I do something.

I am unsure whether the families are facing financial difficulties after their passing. If you can contact the families and determine their needs, they might appreciate the offer of anonymous donations from community members.

Quote from: Eurynomos on June 15, 2024, 07:44:36 AMI feel like having an "In Memorium" on the website would be nice or an addendum to wizlist that includes handles of players / staff no longer with us.

It might be cool to add statues to the Hall of Kings that commemorate them? With a short blurb about their contributions to the community and game as their desc.

I was just going to suggest having this as an addition to Legends in the wizlist.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Eurynomos on June 15, 2024, 07:44:36 AMIt might be cool to add statues to the Hall of Kings that commemorate them? With a short blurb about their contributions to the community and game as their desc.

That could be a really lovely idea.

I also think the art for this dwarf could be used for https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Dwarves, as the current one is pretty old and his one is awesome. Would be a nice piece of homage too.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

Quote from: Eurynomos on June 15, 2024, 07:44:36 AMIt might be cool to add statues to the Hall of Kings that commemorate them? With a short blurb about their contributions to the community and game as their desc.

I really like this idea, especially that this should be in game instead of just the website.

A recommendation on how it could be done is by having one statue that really attracts attention the moment you enter the game at the hall of kings. When people look at this statue they get a description to the statue's purpose, as well as a list of names and instructions on how to read more on the individuals. Maybe a special command can be added to further read, learn or remember that person.  For example 'remember <person>' and at that point they short blurb about their contributions to the community and game as their character desc.

Its heartbreaking to say but this also makes it scalable over time. :( 

Wow, this undoubtedly comes as a blow! I had multiple interactions with Miradus over multiple PCs, and I believe he was stoically dealing with various difficulties RL to be a part of the ARM community. Sad that he has passed. RIP man.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'