Character Reports, Brevity, and Us!

Started by Windstorm, October 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PM

October 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PM Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 01:37:08 PM by Windstorm
So! This is provoked by the changes to character reports post.

I've long had this issue and even on multiple roleplaying games! I wish there was an established way on ArmageddonMUD though, to know just what our current staffers want and prefer in terms of character reports.

On a previous game I would write something similar and the administration preferred the shortest, most brief possible bullet points and only related to what the player wanted or how the PC's stuff interacted with the story being woven at the moment.

Other times, I've run into (person-in-charge) who literally wants the absolute most I can write and tell them. They want ALL the deets and gobble them up and love every minute of it.

I'm not sure I have the exact idea for which this could be expressed, but I do feel like it would be helpful to know which staffers prefer what. I for one would prefer to be able to tailor my character reports to be the most easily digestible for my current staffer  who's going through them. Even some of the replies I've gotten from y'all staffers have been varied. I don't know if you want more, oftentimes, or less, or just more brief or sticking to some certain points.

Even from staffer to staffer around here, it seems to vary heavily.

Always feel free to ask the staffer your character is currently under what they prefer in a report. I've done this in the past and always got a positive response that helped out. :D

Quote from: Windstorm on October 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PMSo! This is provoked by the changes to character reports post.

Where is this post, I keep looking for it, and I can't find it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on October 11, 2023, 10:11:12 AM
Quote from: Windstorm on October 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PMSo! This is provoked by the changes to character reports post.

Where is this post, I keep looking for it, and I can't find it.
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,59926.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

This will actually help in a lot of ways, honestly. IE: on long reports, some things can be forgotten. But if it's broken into smaller reports, such as leaders doing a separate request for events and the like, things wont be so easy to forget.

On the other hand. Logs are long. REALLY long. And it's not cool to take a partial log of a situation. It lets people change the context of things. And I've seen issues with that in the past.

Quote from: Fredd on October 11, 2023, 10:48:58 AMThis will actually help in a lot of ways, honestly. IE: on long reports, some things can be forgotten. But if it's broken into smaller reports, such as leaders doing a separate request for events and the like, things wont be so easy to forget.

On the other hand. Logs are long. REALLY long. And it's not cool to take a partial log of a situation. It lets people change the context of things. And I've seen issues with that in the past.

Pastebin for the log bit maybe?