Skills that don't resolve

Started by papertiger, September 20, 2023, 10:28:31 PM

This is primarily a noob problem and it sounds like most are aware after time spent in the game, but I'd like to go ahead a suggest for my fellow and future noobs that the perception and manipulation skills get an update. For example: If you have a character who doesn't have the search skill, you can still type it and it will say you are searching but never resolve until you interrupt the skill with another command. This seems to be the case with pick and sleight of hand commands too. It's very awkward and confusing if you don't know what's happening.

I've been learning that some skills still work even when you don't have them (thanks discord friends). I did not know I could flee without flee or skin without skin, for example. Since this isn't the case with all skills, it would be really helpful if they just resolved to tell you they've failed (without skill gain) or make them say something like "You don't know how to do that."

This has created confusion for me and I have to wonder if it's not the same for others. Perhaps other priorities but I wanted to suggest an update if it's not too difficult.

Yeah, you can use VALUE without actually having the skill. Be prepared for answers which cause you to dramatically undervalue your items or get tossed out of shops, though.

The same very much occurs for other skills. People who don't have kick had BETTER have very high Defense or a lot of extra HP.

Quote from: Trevalyan on September 20, 2023, 11:29:27 PMYeah, you can use VALUE without actually having the skill. Be prepared for answers which cause you to dramatically undervalue your items or get tossed out of shops, though.

The same very much occurs for other skills. People who don't have kick had BETTER have very high Defense or a lot of extra HP.

I just wanna say that even with accurate and high ranked Value, shops will often throw you out if you try to offer the value price of the item because of how extreme NPC markup/markdown is.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Kavrick on September 21, 2023, 12:57:15 AMI just wanna say that even with accurate and high ranked Value, shops will often throw you out if you try to offer the value price of the item because of how extreme NPC markup/markdown is.

You're not kidding, but at least accurate valuations give you a better idea of the range to use. It's possible to sell off items way too easily if you don't have a good Value skill.

Quote from: Kavrick on September 21, 2023, 12:57:15 AM
Quote from: Trevalyan on September 20, 2023, 11:29:27 PMYeah, you can use VALUE without actually having the skill. Be prepared for answers which cause you to dramatically undervalue your items or get tossed out of shops, though.

I just wanna say that even with accurate and high ranked Value, shops will often throw you out if you try to offer the value price of the item because of how extreme NPC markup/markdown is.

Value is great for weights, you need the haggle skill to haggle prices not the value skill.

Some skills you can use even though you don't have the skill, for IC deceptive purposes. At least thats my idea of why they are usable, so you can fake it.

Regardless, the point is that if you don't have the skill 'on your sheet', the code will never resolve.

Try typing hide without the skill, and you'll wait for a hundred years.

Is there any way to make the skills hidden at like skill level 1 just so that it resolves? OR does that break the +skill gear
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Trevalyan on September 21, 2023, 01:32:29 AM
Quote from: Kavrick on September 21, 2023, 12:57:15 AMI just wanna say that even with accurate and high ranked Value, shops will often throw you out if you try to offer the value price of the item because of how extreme NPC markup/markdown is.

You're not kidding, but at least accurate valuations give you a better idea of the range to use. It's possible to sell off items way too easily if you don't have a good Value skill.

I mean yeah, you literally just have to do 'offer item' and then adjust the barter based on the original offer. Value is kinda a weird skill, I wish I didn't have to be a merchant to find out which of my belts is heavier.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Sorry if I didn't state it well - to be clear I have no issue with being able to use skills we don't have in our skills list. I just want the ones that actually don't work to indicate that they're not working for consistency instead of just locking us in "concentration" with no resolution.

I honestly believe that it is code oversight to have the skill not resolve, and I think that the coding staff are willing to have an error message / low chance of success for the skill for those particular skills - rather than a 10 minute+ timeout.

I think it's just that it hasn't been brought up before, and the staff don't know what skills fall into this category.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one