A suggestion for the new website

Started by Fredd, July 23, 2023, 08:28:52 PM

So I note staff are working on a new website. That's awesome! I'de like to toss an idea out there.

There are a TON of just basic recipes that have been forgotten. And some of these are pretty iconic to their areas. Southern Meat Pies, Northern Meat Puddings, ect ect. Stuff that most people would have grown up eating.

So I'de like to suggest that there be a section for common cooking recipes (you could do this for all other crafts too, if you think something is basic enough. Just to give newer players a leg up, and returning players a refresher)

You could break it up by location. Tuluki's might know these handful of things commonly, tribals these, and allanak those. It's not uncommon  for common easy recipes to hop borders IRL, so I don't see much of a FOIC issue here.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I'd find something like this really helpful because I don't know where to begin with crafting.

I would like to introduce you to the "Analyze" skill, which now shows you all recipes that can be made with a targetted object, including all multi-item recipes that include that item.

Kill a duskhorn. Skin it. Analyze the meat you get. If you have the cooking skill required, recipes will show.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

July 24, 2023, 12:11:14 PM #3 Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 12:13:26 PM by Classclown
A new player would not be able to tell duskhorn meat from chalton and they might not have combat skills, but want to cook. The analyze update is amazing, but the materials are not always straightforward.

ETA: I would hope the recipe area would have an ic feel and not just be a list of materials/ingredients, like a mother/father/grandparent, passing down a traditional recipe.

Quote from: Riev on July 24, 2023, 10:12:21 AMI would like to introduce you to the "Analyze" skill, which now shows you all recipes that can be made with a targetted object, including all multi-item recipes that include that item.

Kill a duskhorn. Skin it. Analyze the meat you get. If you have the cooking skill required, recipes will show.
I'de like to introduce yout o hundred of recipes no one remembers. And if they can't be made, they can't be analyzed.

I'de also like to introduce you to new players.

And over here i'll introduce you to off peak players.

While were at it I'll introduce you to common sense.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I like the idea of a local delicacies document. That's the kind of thing that could be player submitted when the time is right. :)

Quote from: Fredd on July 24, 2023, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: Riev on July 24, 2023, 10:12:21 AMI would like to introduce you to the "Analyze" skill, which now shows you all recipes that can be made with a targetted object, including all multi-item recipes that include that item.

I'de like to introduce yout o hundred of recipes no one remembers. And if they can't be made, they can't be analyzed.

Analyze can be used on raw goods to find recipes that can be made from that thing. While we are at it, maybe I can introduce you to civility and actual thought.

That was rude. Analyze does what you were asking. This wasnt about listing regional dishes but recipes that have been "lost". If you cant craft it, there is no recipe.

I deserve an apology.

Staff will answer (some) questions about the odd mystery ingredients you might find in Analyze as well. Probably helps if your character has a reason to know or discover them.

July 24, 2023, 09:40:48 PM #9 Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 10:07:05 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Hauwke on July 24, 2023, 06:54:45 PM
Quote from: Fredd on July 24, 2023, 04:50:29 PM

Analyze can be used on raw goods to find recipes that can be made from that thing. While we are at it, maybe I can introduce you to civility and actual thought.

I'm replying in the same tone that was given to me.

No Riev, you don't. Watch your tone. This is like the third thing of mine you've popped up with a sarcastic reponse to. And I'll even ask you for further details, and you wont answer. Fells like you're trolling. And I aint into it.

The helpfile for Analyze, i THINK mentions this feature, but it doesn't read very well. Now i know I can analyze something, and get recipes from it. But maybe clean up that helpfile so others can. I've had people surprised at really basic recipes I know. So this isn't just me.

Ya'll act like I didn't read that file twice before posting this. You know me better then that.

Edit:

To clear up what I mean about the helpfile. I read this three times, and it wasn't until now that my brain fully processed what ya'll are talking about here. The section mentioning this sort of runs  into the back of the previous section. This is the current page text:

This command allows a person to examine an object and attempt to decipher what materials went into its creation. It is useful in taking a finished product and breaking down its components, so one could make another like it. This should be role-played as a timely undertaking, as much studying of the object is needed as well as a knowledge of the skill employed in crafting it.

Analyze on a crafted item will yield one of the five following results:

An uncraftable item (You get no echo at all)
An item you don't have the coded skill to make. (You cannot tell how that is made)
An item you have the skill to craft. (A list of the products you need to craft it)
Items you can make, but your skill is not yet high enough. (You're unsure how that's made)
Items you can't make, because they are clan specific. (You do not recognize its craftsmanship)
Analyze on an item that crafts into another item will yield:

The first line will always say how to make the analyzed item, if it can be made.
The results that follow will have potential clan-less recipes.
The results that follow those will have potential clanned recipes.
Analyze can also be used to filter results based on craft skill and/or any clan the character is a member of. This will restrict the output depending on what filter you used in the command.

Syntax:
analyze <object>
analyze <object> craftskill
analyze <object> clan (the word clan, not the name of your clan)
analyze <object> clan craftskill
Example(s):
Crafted Item:
> analyze harp
After carefully examining a bone harp, you discover it was made from:
a long length of mekillot bone
some fine instrument strings

Material Item:
> analyze blocky (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx')
That cannot be crafted. (meaning this isn't created via a craft)
'few large chunks of black onyx' using the 'forage' skill.
'rune-carved, dull black jump-ring' using the 'jewelrymaking' skill and combined with...
an hand-sized chunk of black onyx.

With a skill filter:
> analyze blocky stonecrafting (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx' if
you only want to see stonecrafting recipes)
'black stone lantern' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'black stone bowl' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'black stone jug' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'tall black stone vase' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.

With a clan filter:
> analyze blocky clan (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx' if your character
is in House Kurac and only wants to see recipes Kurac has for the item)

A proposed edit: 

This command can be used on both finished items and base materials to decipher recipes associated with them. This should be roleplayed as a timely undertaking as a lot of study and knowledge of the base skill is needed to work out how things are made.

If you analyze on a previously crafted item, it will return one of five resaults:

An uncraftable item (You get no echo at all)
An item you don't have the coded skill to make. (You cannot tell how that is made)
An item you have the skill to craft. (A list of the products you need to craft it)
Items you can make, but your skill is not yet high enough. (You're unsure how that's made)
Items you can't make, because they are clan specific. (You do not recognize its craftsmanship)

===I'de put a breakup here to make the page read easier to the eye)===

If you use Analyze on a base ingreadeant
If the ingredeant is crafted, the first line will state how it's made.
The resaults after the first line have clan-less recipes.
Next are the clanned recipes

===Another lIne break===
Analyze can also be used to filter results based on craft skill and/or any clan the character is a member of. This will restrict the output depending on what filter you used in the command.
Syntax:
analyze <object>
analyze <object> craftskill
analyze <object> clan (the word clan, not the name of your clan)
analyze <object> clan craftskill
Example(s):
Crafted Item:
> analyze harp
After carefully examining a bone harp, you discover it was made from:
a long length of mekillot bone
some fine instrument strings

Material Item:
> analyze blocky (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx')
'few large chunks of black onyx' using the 'forage' skill.
'rune-carved, dull black jump-ring' using the 'jewelrymaking' skill and combined with...

With a skill filter:
> analyze blocky stonecrafting (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx' if
you only want to see stonecrafting recipes)
'black stone lantern' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'black stone bowl' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'black stone jug' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.
'tall black stone vase' using the 'stonecrafting' skill.

With a clan filter:
> analyze blocky clan (for 'a blocky piece of black onyx' if your character
is in House Kurac and only wants to see recipes Kurac has for the item)

========================

And Finally. A command in the game to look at stuff isn't the same as a nice, easy to read website for newer players who might not know where to start.

My comment was not sarcastic. Your original post:

"There are a TON of just basic recipes that have been forgotten."

My response:

"I would like to introduce you to the "Analyze" skill, which now shows you all recipes that can be made with a targeted object, including all multi-item recipes that include that item."

Emphasis mine. I was explaining that Analyze had a change to it that maybe you did not know. It is not my fault if you misunderstood the helpfile, or decided that whatever I say is in "tone" but there was none.

I am owed an apology for you being rude to me with your attitude about "common sense" and "introducing me to new and offpeak players".

Quote from: Riev on July 25, 2023, 09:53:25 AMMy comment was not sarcastic. Your original post:

"There are a TON of just basic recipes that have been forgotten."

My response:

"I would like to introduce you to the "Analyze" skill, which now shows you all recipes that can be made with a targeted object, including all multi-item recipes that include that item."

Emphasis mine. I was explaining that Analyze had a change to it that maybe you did not know. It is not my fault if you misunderstood the helpfile, or decided that whatever I say is in "tone" but there was none.

I am owed an apology for you being rude to me with your attitude about "common sense" and "introducing me to new and offpeak players".

I read it as sarcastic and responded in kind. I'm sorry.

I still like the idea of putting some common recipes on the new website for several reasons. Not the least of which, it gives new players an introduction to the crafting system.

But more-over, it really helps flesh out the cultures reflected in the game.

I also like the idea of a cultural crafting document, for the Tablelands, Tuluk, Allanak, Luir's Outpost, and Red Storm Village.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on July 25, 2023, 02:34:49 PMI also like the idea of a cultural crafting document, for the Tablelands, Tuluk, Allanak, Luir's Outpost, and Red Storm Village.

These sections all make sense. It would do a lot to help fill out the cultural identity of places.

Also: DOubling down on apologizing to Riev. I see now, after rereading it a bunch, that you were like "if that's bothering you, dude, I got the answer." But for whatever reason my brain went with  the tone of "let me introduce you to this command everyone knows."

My bad dude.

Quote from: Fredd on July 25, 2023, 06:17:59 PM
Quote from: mansa on July 25, 2023, 02:34:49 PMI also like the idea of a cultural crafting document, for the Tablelands, Tuluk, Allanak, Luir's Outpost, and Red Storm Village.

These sections all make sense. It would do a lot to help fill out the cultural identity of places.

Also: DOubling down on apologizing to Riev. I see now, after rereading it a bunch, that you were like "if that's bothering you, dude, I got the answer." But for whatever reason my brain went with  the tone of "let me introduce you to this command everyone knows."

My bad dude.
The world needs more of this.

Well Done!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

My bad dude.
Accepted!

As a note I also think we could have examples of Regional Dishes. Outside of the "lost recipes", to know that a tandu trencher is common to Tuluk whereas the roasted scrab head is a delicacy of Allanak would be great. Maybe even give a "launch" point for custom food crafters to say "Well. This is my take on the spicy scrab head, but I added melted cheese and a pinch of thodeliv!"

My problem is I'm such a lazy gamer. Before the analyze change there was a 0% chance I'd even try a crafting class. I want to look up how to mesh into the game world then go from there.  ie many a grebber in allanak get their start doing A,B or C... Like Mansa's guide but for crafting and cooking.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 26, 2023, 01:43:00 PMMy problem is I'm such a lazy gamer. Before the analyze change there was a 0% chance I'd even try a crafting class. I want to look up how to mesh into the game world then go from there.  ie many a grebber in allanak get their start doing A,B or C... Like Mansa's guide but for crafting and cooking.

Might I introduce you to a new NPC that has appeared in a major Allanaki Tavern that will talk to you about some basics to hunting and such around Allanak?

Maybe each city could have an NPC that does hunting, one that talks about being a grebber, one that talks about cooking, etc. Like, the big 3-5 jobs a newbie might go for.

Quote from: Riev on July 26, 2023, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 26, 2023, 01:43:00 PMMy problem is I'm such a lazy gamer. Before the analyze change there was a 0% chance I'd even try a crafting class. I want to look up how to mesh into the game world then go from there.  ie many a grebber in allanak get their start doing A,B or C... Like Mansa's guide but for crafting and cooking.

Might I introduce you to a new NPC that has appeared in a major Allanaki Tavern that will talk to you about some basics to hunting and such around Allanak?

Maybe each city could have an NPC that does hunting, one that talks about being a grebber, one that talks about cooking, etc. Like, the big 3-5 jobs a newbie might go for.

Yeah, that was really cool. I sent kudos when I learned of the existence. I'd love to see more npcs in more places like this that new players could use as a resource IC.

Quote from: Riev on July 26, 2023, 09:31:29 AM

My bad dude.
Accepted!

As a note I also think we could have examples of Regional Dishes. Outside of the "lost recipes", to know that a tandu trencher is common to Tuluk whereas the roasted scrab head is a delicacy of Allanak would be great. Maybe even give a "launch" point for custom food crafters to say "Well. This is my take on the spicy scrab head, but I added melted cheese and a pinch of thodeliv!"

This is what I was thinking :)

Maybe mention the million gaspy recipes in the south.