Coded Things Missing From Tuluk

Started by RheaGhe, July 12, 2023, 01:54:11 PM

This is a list of things I've found that are presently missing or messed up in tuluk that are present in Allanak in some way.

#1: Certain rooms that universally have quit rooms elsewhere don't have quit on them in Tuluk. Yes they are different from other places in some cases. But in a few. Like the stables. They really should have a quit tag on them.

#2: Merchants that don't merchant. A lot of the commons merchants don't have trade goods to sell. And also don't buy anything.

#3: Certain lists of buyables feel incomplete. Why don't certain traders accept things like Sauraal, or Yompar, while they also accept things like Mantis, Gith, Gortok, and almost every other beast in the Basin.

#4: There are training rooms with invisible non-functional training dummies that shouldn't actually be there. If need be I will submit a request about this. Or really anything on this list.

#5: The commons lacks a water seller. This feels like a satire. But it makes Tuluk almost unlivable for foreigners without a clan.

I'm creating this thread so that others might contribute things they might have noticed that might be holdovers from when the city was a much older construction.

Is there no quit option in the western gates stables or Vestric dorms? My memory is foggy.

July 12, 2023, 04:33:55 PM #2 Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 04:39:15 PM by Inks
There is quit options in both of those locations afaik. (Maybe not the stables? I can't remember.)

Remove the empty vendors though, yes please.

At first Tuluk's shops were a nightmare for me to navigate. But I kind of like having them scattered all over the city, now. You always run into PCs while shopping for whatever.

Tuluk be pumping.

Quote from: RheaGhe on July 12, 2023, 01:54:11 PMThis is a list of things I've found that are presently missing or messed up in Tuluk that are present in Allanak in some way.

#1: Certain rooms that universally have quit rooms elsewhere don't have quit on them in Tuluk. Yes they are different from other places in some cases. But in a few. Like the stables. They really should have a quit tag on them.

I think most of them do, unless its a room that hasn't been changed in 20+ years.

Quote#2: Merchants that don't merchant. A lot of the commons merchants don't have trade goods to sell. And also don't buy anything.
The empty merchants are part of the "Player Created Businesses" process that is currently unique to Tuluk.

There are 7 merchants that can be "rented" by players:

Re: Merchants not buying from Players.
If you think a non-PlayerBusiness NPC should buy from players - idea the NPC.

Quote#3: Certain lists of buyables feel incomplete. Why don't certain traders accept things like Sauraal, or Yompar, while they also accept things like Mantis, Gith, Gortok, and almost every other beast in the Basin.

I'd create a request about a specific NPC if you think they should buy/trade specific items from the Players.

Quote#4: There are training rooms with invisible non-functional training dummies that shouldn't actually be there. If need be I will submit a request about this. Or really anything on this list.

I'd bug the room using the bug command, or put a request in.

Quote#5: The commons lacks a water seller. This feels like a satire. But it makes Tuluk almost unlivable for foreigners without a clan.

Agreed.

QuoteI'm creating this thread so that others might contribute things they might have noticed that might be holdovers from when the city was a much older construction.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: RheaGhe on July 12, 2023, 01:54:11 PM#5: The commons lacks a water seller. This feels like a satire. But it makes Tuluk almost unlivable for foreigners without a clan.

Not sure why this is as much of a sticking point as it seems to be. Beyond minor inconvenience and chance of a horrible death, what is so bad about going to Morins to get water?

Quote from: Brokkr on July 12, 2023, 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: RheaGhe on July 12, 2023, 01:54:11 PM#5: The commons lacks a water seller. This feels like a satire. But it makes Tuluk almost unlivable for foreigners without a clan.

Not sure why this is as much of a sticking point as it seems to be. Beyond minor inconvenience and chance of a horrible death, what is so bad about going to Morins to get water?

Because it's just silly to have to walk over there. It's an entire source of revenue that Tuluk just completely ignore and let Kadius scoop it up via Morins. Unless they have some deal in place making it make sense, it's a lot silly to leave that much money on the table.

Even if there is an IC reason Morins controls water, I'd be curious to find out why there can't also be some sort of water vendor in Tuluk, even if it's limited or something of that nature.

Quote from: digitaleak on July 12, 2023, 06:45:07 PMEven if there is an IC reason Morins controls water, I'd be curious to find out why there can't also be some sort of water vendor in Tuluk, even if it's limited or something of that nature.

There is, for inked.  The unease around outsiders translates itself into things. It is thus supposed to be harder for outsiders, this is just one of the ways. It hasn't been that many years since the gates opened.

I am not sure why you think Kadius would get the revenue, @Hauwke since it isn't like they own Morins, they just have a small estate there.

July 13, 2023, 01:42:43 AM #8 Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:56:46 AM by Windstorm
Quote from: Brokkr on July 12, 2023, 05:29:25 PMNot sure why this is as much of a sticking point as it seems to be. Beyond minor inconvenience and chance of a horrible death, what is so bad about going to Morins to get water?

1. In terms of playability, it's not something fun or enriching to the world, it's just a hassle. You don't experience an inability to get water codedly that's taking away from your (limited) roleplaying time and say to yourself, "Gosh, what a great roleplaying experience being unable to get water!" Rather, you're probably like, "Well this is a pain in the ass." And not ICly, but OOCly.

2. Because it makes no sense ICly. Where there's a demand for something, and there's supply of something, someone will supply it and get paid for it. It's a city, the 2nd biggest in the gameworld, with people all around who all need water. It's not immersive or realistic. If that's really the intent, I guess you could go all the way with it and put in some room echoes about people dying for water at the gates or a trail of people running from Tuluk's gate's to Morin's because they have to constantly go over there to get water?

3. ArmageddonMUD is demanding enough of players' time. Time spent having to drag yourself over to Morin's before you can continue roleplaying in the limited space of foreigner-in-Tuluk, and then having to do it again the next day, could be detracting from engaging roleplay in what you'd hope is a bustling city center that's there for the interaction. I know I'd hate it.

I'm pretty sure the Commons not having water is 100% intentionally designed to be a pain in the ass for non-inked visitors. It certainly works to support that. Tuluk isn't supposed to like outsiders.

Then have a waterseller who sneers and pumps up prices for foreigners. Make it a pain ICly all the way, just not in way that's taking away from the roleplay and disrespectful of players' time.

Making it easier is taking away the roleplay. There's not supposed to be a bunch of unclanned foreigners hanging around Tuluk.

You want to talk about taking away the roleplay and disrespecting player times, talk about how many goddamn monsters get spawned up in the North. I'm pretty sure the spawn timers were never turned down from when "the North" was the end game zone filled with every spam-casting rogue and one staffer (who's now banned) turned it up as a "solution." And it's only gotten worse lately.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 13, 2023, 02:35:58 AMYou want to talk about taking away the roleplay and disrespecting player times, talk about how many goddamn monsters get spawned up in the North. I'm pretty sure the spawn timers were never turned down from when "the North" was the end game zone filled with every spam-casting rogue and one staffer (who's now banned) turned it up as a "solution." And it's only gotten worse lately.

I'm pretty sure this is working as intended.

Quote from: Brokkr on July 12, 2023, 11:52:36 PM
Quote from: digitaleak on July 12, 2023, 06:45:07 PMEven if there is an IC reason Morins controls water, I'd be curious to find out why there can't also be some sort of water vendor in Tuluk, even if it's limited or something of that nature.

There is, for inked.  The unease around outsiders translates itself into things. It is thus supposed to be harder for outsiders, this is just one of the ways. It hasn't been that many years since the gates opened.

I am not sure why you think Kadius would get the revenue, @Hauwke since it isn't like they own Morins, they just have a small estate there.
Kadius in fact does own Morins and leases all the land there from the Templarate according to the documentation. If you check the clan status of almost every npc in Morins save for a few, you'll also notice the vast majority of them are also clanned as belonging to House Kadius. And nearly every guard in there is a Kadian Falcon.

The Sun King owns the land. But so does Kadius, because they've been paying on the land for like 2 centuries.

Morins may own some water, but Tuluk still owns Silverwood.

If its purposeful, why not have a grey-water-only seller in the Commons? Something that says "We can provide water to weary travellers, but you get the cast off/run off water from our glorious hanging gardens of babylon?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Just ignore the water in the taverns. Its not the water you are looking for.

Fiddles. (violins!)

Ask your local (Driamusek? Konviwedu, one of the two, can't recall which) bard. :P

Seems none of them can play their signature instrument anymore if you follow the docs and history.