Subguild Overhaul Questions

Started by Halaster, June 17, 2023, 11:28:01 AM

Ask 'em here!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Question:  Do full guild elementalists get stat bonuses?
Answer:  Yes, full guild elementalists each get +1 wisdom

June 17, 2023, 11:38:00 AM #2 Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 11:49:01 AM by Halaster
Question:  Can I change the subguild on my existing character since it's one that went away?
Answer:  No, the subguilds we eliminated still exist in the code and game, they're just not options you can pick in character generation.  You just can't pick them on new characters.  Your skilltree on your own subguild will remain as it was before and you won't have any issues with branching.  We are not going to change subguilds for existing characters, however.  Consider yourself the last of your kind!

June 17, 2023, 11:41:19 AM #3 Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 11:48:28 AM by Halaster
Question:  Will I get the stat bonuses for a subguild on my existing character?
Answer:  No, you won't, they are only applied at character generation.  Not retroactively to existing characters.

1) Will we lose skills that are normally branched for our new subguilds if we already have them?

2) If we should have new skills for the changed subguild, but they're not on our list, what do we do?

Quote from: Trevalyan on June 17, 2023, 11:58:43 AM
1) Will we lose skills that are normally branched for our new subguilds if we already have them?

2) If we should have new skills for the changed subguild, but they're not on our list, what do we do?

1) No, you won't
2) Wish up or put in a request.  I -expected- based on the code that everyone would get missing skills, but so far I'm seeing that as hit or miss.  I might have to do another code push to force that, but for now, wish up  or put in a request.

1.  If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?

2.  Will there be any design or development for mundane subguilds that require karma?
     For Instance:  Subguilds that give a couple/few Master-level skills?  Be that combat, stealth, perception or manipulation.

These could require 2 or 3 karma and give more options to higher-karma players for mundane choices instead of just HG and Mul.

Thanks Much!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

June 17, 2023, 12:55:22 PM #7 Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 12:57:06 PM by Kaathe
If subguild skills overlap with main guild do they still take the higher starting value, higher cap, and lower branch retirement? Any new interactions?

PS love the changes.  been eager for this since I came back to play.

Has there been any consideration given to a return of full guild psions yet, given this subguild overhaul? Seems like the overhaul might fix one of the stated issues with them.

Quote from: Kaathe on June 17, 2023, 12:55:22 PM
If subguild skills overlap with main guild do they still take the higher starting value, higher cap, and lower branch retirement? Any new interactions?

I don't believe there is any underlying change in how the Class / Subclass gets combined when you create your character.

Here's an example:

Class:   Musician

SkillStarting ProficiencyMax ProficiencyBranching Proficiency
Brass Instruments107060
. Trumpet1070
String Instruments107060
. Guitar107060
. . Bass Guitar1070
Percussion Instruments1070
Vocals1070

Subclass:  Jazz Guitar

String Instruments3060
Guitar306050
. Bass Guitar3060
Percussion Instruments3060

When you make a character with Musician + Jazz Guitar subclass, you enter the game like this:

Brass Instruments107060
. Trumpet1070
String Instruments3070
Guitar307050
. Bass Guitar3070
Percussion Instruments3070
Vocals1070

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It looks like 3 (new) subclasses are not enabled yet.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: DesertT on June 17, 2023, 12:27:36 PM

1.  If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?

2.  Will there be any design or development for mundane subguilds that require karma?
     For Instance:  Subguilds that give a couple/few Master-level skills?  Be that combat, stealth, perception or manipulation.

These could require 2 or 3 karma and give more options to higher-karma players for mundane choices instead of just HG and Mul.

Thanks Much!!

No plans as of now.

Quote from: Kaathe on June 17, 2023, 12:55:22 PM

The best of each for your character.  So, you get the higher starting value, higher max, quickest branching between the two.

Since subclasses now give stat scores...

If you pick subclass_none, and then pick a subclass after a few days played, do you get the bonus to your score at that point?

Quote from: Mellifera on June 17, 2023, 01:13:50 PM
Has there been any consideration given to a return of full guild psions yet, given this subguild overhaul? Seems like the overhaul might fix one of the stated issues with them.

No, there's generally no intention of doing that with psionicists, we like them as subguilds actually.  Unlike mages, I think they work quite well like they are.

Quote from: mansa on June 17, 2023, 02:01:21 PM
Since subclasses now give stat scores...

If you pick subclass_none, and then pick a subclass after a few days played, do you get the bonus to your score at that point?

The stat bonus gets added when you pick the new subguild, yeah.

Quote from: Halaster on June 17, 2023, 02:06:46 PM
Unlike mages, I think they work quite well like they are.

Whether in this thread or another, could you elaborate on this?

Reaver - does it get two-handed?  (does not say in help file)
Hunter - does it get sneak?  (does not say in help file)
Con Artist - does it get scan?  (does not say in help file)

Quote from: mansa on June 17, 2023, 03:14:49 PM
Reaver - does it get two-handed?  (does not say in help file)
Hunter - does it get sneak?  (does not say in help file)
Con Artist - does it get scan?  (does not say in help file)
No to all three, they don't get those skills

Logged in again post-hotfix release. Still don't have additional skills that should be in my revamped subclass.

In cases where a subguild was removed for redundancy with another subguild, do existing characters of either subguild get the skills of the remaining subguild?  To clarify with a fake example, if there had been Silt Pirate and Master Silt Pirate, and the Master Silt Pirate was removed for redundancy, do characters with Master Silt Pirate get the skills of the Silt Pirate class?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on June 17, 2023, 04:33:42 PM
In cases where a subguild was removed for redundancy, do existing characters of either subguild get the skills of the remaining subguild?  To clarify with a fake example, if there had been Silt Pirate and Master Silt Pirate, and the Master Silt Pirate was removed for redundancy, do characters with Master Silt Pirate get the skills of the Silt Pirate class?

Yes.  In cases where subguilds were consolidated, the new one gets all the skills from the previous ones, and generally with the higher skill max too.

Quote from: Trevalyan on June 17, 2023, 04:11:55 PM
Logged in again post-hotfix release. Still don't have additional skills that should be in my revamped subclass.

Other people might have my problem when reading the Google spreadsheet. The help files are now definitive for things like skill availability and branching.

Quote from: mansa on June 17, 2023, 01:26:11 PM
It looks like 3 (new) subclasses are not enabled yet.

Is this a new tool?  where can I get it?