Traps: Bring 'em back

Started by LindseyBalboa, June 07, 2023, 11:09:01 PM

Let's bring back traps.

But not those traps.

Non-lethal traps.

Snares that trip someone up, lures that trap scrabs, pits that hobble movement, dye that makes your footprints easily visible, etc.

Tie the highest skill to subguilds.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

+1
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

mounts should automatically eat items on the ground they would find delicious so that I can leave grishen poisoned tubers and meat outside of tuluk to grief everyone

Quote from: Lotion on June 12, 2023, 07:30:10 AM
mounts should automatically eat items on the ground they would find delicious so that I can leave grishen poisoned tubers and meat outside of tuluk to grief everyone

How would you see this balanced?
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: zealus on June 12, 2023, 09:20:48 AM
Quote from: Lotion on June 12, 2023, 07:30:10 AM

How would you see this balanced?

Ability to feed mounts cures.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on June 12, 2023, 02:09:50 PM
Ability to feed mounts cures.

Can't you already "pour vial mount" ?  Is that a thing ?

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1088867.html#msg1088867
QuoteFebruary 26, 2023 (Sunday)

Oleupata
- Fixed bug where poisoned spice lost it's poison when rolling into a joint.
- You can now shoot mounts and poison them
- You can now pour vials on mounts to cure them of poison
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

so, traps!
sad

God the trolling would be through the roof. I want to set a crossbow on a string but I don't want to be any more annoyed. I'm conflicted.

Armageddon with IEDs would be absolutely more fun. I want to break into an apartment and get my leg cut off.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Quote from: Jarvis on June 14, 2023, 08:49:05 AM
Armageddon with IEDs would be absolutely more fun. I want to break into an apartment and get my leg cut off.

sounds savage.

You enter the apartment and immediately get a "Consent to mutilation Y/N?" prompt. Yes, your leg is gone. No, mantis.
sad

My suggestion for a non-lethal traps is:

An direction exit trap
This gets triggered based on the trap skill, the direction sense skill, the watch skill, and the agility score of the target.

i.e.
if someone is skilled in the trap skill, they will see other traps.  (up to +50% chance to detect traps)
if someone is skilled in the direction sense skill, which is a perception skill, they should be able to avoid it. (up to +10% chance to detect traps)
if someone is skilled in the watch skill, which is also a perception skill, they should be able to avoid it. (up to +10% chance to detect traps)
if someone has high agility, they should be able to avoid it (up to 15% chance to detect traps)

When triggered, it doubles the room movement speed delay for 10 minutes.  Perhaps it can add the echo, "You start to head in (x) direction." with the delay between that and actual movement.

This debuff can be bandaged to be removed.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I do like the idea of non-lethal traps.

Here is how I would envision it:
1. Two different skills: wilderness and city traps
2. You must be running, walking or riding. sneak bypasses traps unknowingly if skill+agility bonus is greater than trap skill
3. Traps in cities trigger crim-code where ever possible
4. traps must be on the ground and are set off when someone walks/runs hide in a particular direction
5. I think scan should be enough to detect a trap, but you shouldn't know its a trap vs a rat or critter until you stop and look at it. Disarming could be accomplished by smashing it. This alone would make any trap useful albeit slightly less on someone who does speed run through the area.

Traps can:
1. City traps can Trip + delay you similar to bash.
2. Wilderness traps will delay your mount as it gets foot stuck in a whole with a chance to knock you off or trip you if you are walking running.
3. Traps can poison, but this require high poison skill and trap skill to achieve.
4.Traps would not last too long in places with +stealth rooms due to people or creatures, etc especially after the person setting is two rooms away from the trap. This prevents setting traps for mere trolling but would still allow someone to close off an exit before an ambush.

June 19, 2023, 05:26:43 AM #12 Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 06:05:11 AM by Inks
Okay tripwires I am ALMOST on board with, but make them visible in the room description (as an extra line) at an exit (much like a magick wall, I know imms would probably use the magick wall code to code it) because it won't be piano wire it will be rope and sticks. So if you are moving quickly through the room not paying attention it will get you, but if you are looking and moving slowly it won't. Also have it break after getting 1 person/mount.

I am also fine without traps to be honest, but tripwires would be a cool raiding/ security tool if done right. The problem is certain players would use it to get a bunch of easy kills on newer grebber players rather than as a raiding rp tool.

So I would still rather without I guess. The main troll use would be putting them near drops so people would fall to their death since they would be knocked to resting etc. People put a lot of effort into their PCs and I think most pk should have a risk to the pker.

So I'd still rather without for sure.

Something I would like is a craftable breakable (sort of like shelled-up gurth breaking code) barricade out of several logs to block off areas with walls on both sides with, such as hallways or the Span. It would also trigger crimcode within a city and take a long time. Again I know a small subset of our players would really go overboard with it though.

Lastly, a noisemaker trap (a wire and windchimes etc) that unstealths people moving through the exit it covers (if not disabled first) and alerting adjacent rooms would be awesome.

At least on a PVE level, consider the ability to poison corpses, so that aggresive, corpse eating mobs can have some debuffs applied to them, to a certain reasonable cap, please.

I think this would add some more value to taking along a brewing apothecary friend when a fighting mercenary friend cannot be found, yes?

Traps in general, it's a code or general system we have a 'place' for, a thing we technically do in many ways, I think we all just want to avoid the urban, modern, western feel of traps and explosive, technological IED traps, and get real rooted in Zalanthan, harsh, post-apoc desert traps.

To wit, ecological stuff tends to resonate with me. Ya know them numbing black seeds? Powderized, with a certain ingredient, could be a skin contact agent that numbs and briefly incapacitates. That's a thing that could be trapped, right? And in theme, with components and PC's and plots built in. Take any plant or animal like that, and you can start to expound. I like to focus on existing lore and docs when brainstorming things like this, because of my repeated history of getting shot down in my imaginary daydream scenarios (While never putting any actual requests in, mind you).

Another themely trap I would like to suggest is a trap called a 'rat tent'. It would require a giant, dwarf, or great strength. Basically anything that would make staff involved somehow, you know, some signifier that said hey, people are gathering up a rat tent. But also, something easy enough that it's practical to make one on the fly, when needed. All you need is twenty five city rats. And the ability to carry that many in a tent. Please, Halaster, before you retire, bribe Zorkbob the Inhaler to somehow make it that once you shove 'release rat tent' 25 times the code turns that tent into a new item called 'a shredded bag of angry rats' that you can then throw into a room, at a person, or you simply leave it on the ground, you can throw a person into the tent. Please, I'll give you a sack lunch with a capri sun and bacon peanut butter honey sandwich.

I like Mansa's ideas a lot, too. The way they balance things makes for some ease of gameplay, and keeps from massive overkill/overpowering traps, I feel.
"...only listeners will hear your true pronunciation."

I sadly never got to use traps when they were in. COuldn't figure out blast powder :(

So, yes pls. I want to mess with traps!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Really cool idea. I haven't been around long enough to see traps in the game, but I would love to see them in! I think there should be not just non lethal traps, but lethal ones as well... With the hitch that lethal ones have a higher chance to deploy on anyone (even the one who setup the trap obviously). All traps should have a chance to deploy on anyone.

It wouldn't make sense to me realistically to just have non lethal traps, but there should definitely be balance to it. Thoughts!

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 07, 2023, 11:09:01 PMLet's bring back traps.

But not those traps.

Oh mannn, when you saw that 'CLOSED' bone-studded backpack just laying there in the middle of the busiest intersection in the city..  Leave it the fuck Alone!

Bahhhaha I just remembered too!  When the fuses would burn way too fast and you'd blow your own face off! XD  Large sized Oooff

Having a look over the ideas here, there's more to talk about in my opinion.  The idea of much lower damage thresholds makes game sense.  If a half-giant that's twice your size with a gigantic sword that's the size of your whole body, can't kill you in one swing.. Traps shouldn't be able to either!  A limit of 1 trap per room I would say is fair?  In the room I mean, I don't think it would be possible to enforce how many backpacks in the room could be trapped?  I think it would be more entertaining if there wasn't a limit on trapped items. 
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.