Suggestion: Crawl

Started by LindseyBalboa, April 12, 2023, 05:59:32 PM

You're at 0 mv. You got stuck on a mountainside, or you're in the desert two rooms away from shade. How inconvenient in terms of playability!

Suggestion: crawl

Gives 30 second lag between moving rooms, but it takes 0 mv. If on a climb, make climbing checks harder.

There's a lag to switch out of 'crawl' pace, as well, so you can't just start crawling and instantly jump up if there's danger. You're exhausted!

While crawling you get a big ol' malus to your defense/offense/whatever, too. It's dangerous. It's a last resort.

But it's more realistic than just giving up with a goal in sight, or a spider watching you a room away, and puts agency back in the hands of players for an extremely dire situation.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

You can easily solve your mountain problem :)

I would prefer this was left as is. It's already pretty simple to survive.

Quote from: Inks on April 12, 2023, 11:54:45 PM

There are unique situations where even folks with outdoor regen bonuses can find it super hard to regen, whether it's a bug or not I dunno and I've only had it happen a few times.  But it would be nice if there was some type of option versus just resting/sleeping.

"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Overall I think this would be a plus. Not a huge difference to experienced outdoor players who know the map well and are budgeting their stamina. A lot more of a help to newbies.

It either gives you a good Narrow Escape story, or heightens the Death Experience. Win/win.

Quote from: Pariah on April 13, 2023, 01:28:54 AM
There are unique situations where even folks with outdoor regen bonuses can find it super hard to regen, whether it's a bug or not I dunno and I've only had it happen a few times.  But it would be nice if there was some type of option versus just resting/sleeping.

And yeah, it would give you a chance of escaping stamina deathtraps. (I think there may be one or two cases where even sleeping is not gonna save you.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I am personally against this.

Being helpless in the wilds is one of the best opportunities to reach out to someone you normally wouldn't and gives someone else the opportunity to save your life. These have been some of the best experiences in Arm I've ever had. There is nothing like a life debt to form a permanent bond and RP for years to come.

In general I will always support less self reliance, more reasons for interaction with others.

Quote from: Pariah on April 13, 2023, 01:28:54 AM
Quote from: Inks on April 12, 2023, 11:54:45 PM

It feels like when you are at lower hp/stamina/focus/mana/stun it will regenerate slower. I like to move enough rooms to reach a resonant number with my resting regen cap with stramina. When not sleeping you can often regen stamina to one less than your maximum if your regen number syncs up. So if you're at 91/100 and you regen 8 per regen tick you will go to 99/100 but at 96/100 you will never regen without sleeping. In this case you should probably rest at the highest stamina value where the amount of stamina you need to regen is a multiple of eight.

Quote from: cnemus on April 13, 2023, 07:38:09 PM
I am personally against this.

Being helpless in the wilds is one of the best opportunities to reach out to someone you normally wouldn't and gives someone else the opportunity to save your life. These have been some of the best experiences in Arm I've ever had. There is nothing like a life debt to form a permanent bond and RP for years to come.

In general I will always support less self reliance, more reasons for interaction with others.

At first I was totally for the concept of a last resort 'crawl' command, but after reading this I have to agree with cnemus!

Maybe a way to compromise would be make the 'crawl' feature a limited use. You can only crawl one or two rooms before using the last of your energy? That way you can still be trapped with no option but to ask for help?

In talking about movement recovery and being able to escape when you're at very even low movement points:

My preference is to change the movement recovery values.

0 - 25% - gain 15 points per tick.
26 - 50% - gain 12 points per tick.
51 - 75% - gain 10 points per tick.
76 - 100% - gain 5 points per tick.

My other preference is to have an extremely long delay (100 seconds) between moving each room, and have it cost 1 movement point, and you're unable to regenerate movement points while doing it.  So there's a cost/benefit for doing the action.... do you wait for the regeneration of your movement points, or do you spend movement points and slowly get away.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 16, 2023, 12:53:06 PM
My other preference is to have an extremely long delay (100 seconds) between moving each room, and have it cost 1 movement point, and you're unable to regenerate movement points while doing it.  So there's a cost/benefit for doing the action.... do you wait for the regeneration of your movement points, or do you spend movement points and slowly get away.

Quote from: digitaleak on April 16, 2023, 12:38:08 PM
Maybe a way to compromise would be make the 'crawl' feature a limited use. You can only crawl one or two rooms before using the last of your energy? That way you can still be trapped with no option but to ask for help?

100%. Crawl would be a last ditch idea - hopefully after you've reached out to your friends to save you. The idea is more "there's a cave 4 west, over the course of an in-game hour (or whatever) you should be able to crawl there and risk exposure to danger on the way to that cave that may be safe or may not be."

The idea is not "crawl across the Vrun to safety."

I don't know exactly how movement refresh rates work currently, so I can't give an informed answer to Mansa's idea but it feels like it's currently the opposite? Hard when you're tired, easier when rested.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

I know there are classes that say, they recover better outdoors but even with them, sometimes you'll have a clear warm day with no sandstorm and your dude is like, I gained you back 5stamina in ten minutes enjoy.

I don't get it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"