Salvaging - Can we make it more successful?

Started by Pariah, December 08, 2022, 04:07:54 PM

So I've salvaged, a lot of shit, like a lot and I have to say the ability to get a scrap of cloth out of clothing feels like it's too difficult.

Would there be any chance of having salvaging looked from a difficulty standpoint?

Because I'd like to see it used more like this:

A Gith lands a devastating blow on the tressy tressy woman.
The tressy tressy woman crumples to the ground.
A large stupid half-giant smooshes the Gith.

emote rushes over to the side of ~tressy and slaps %tressy cheek a few times.
tell tressy (shaking her a little) Wake up love of my life!
say (looking at those around) Who has a bandage?  She's bleeding out!
The tressy tressy woman's body shudders as blood seeps from various wounds!
The large stupid half-giant say "Nope, ain't go un."
remove cloak (tearing off his cloak quickly)
You remove your military aba.
salvage aba
You begin to salvage a military aba.
You succeed at salvage a military aba and get a useful piece.
hold scrap
emote wads up ~scrap and shoves it in the biggest bleeding hole on ~tressy.
bandage tressy
You manage to bandage tressy tressy woman.
assess tressy
She is bandaged horribly and it will last a day.
think Hopefully that holds!
emote gently strokes %tressy face.

FIVE MINUTES LATER:

The tressy tressy woman groans and sits up.
The tressy tressy woman say, "I feel like shit!"
The large stupid half-giant says, raising his arms in the air, "Yay she libs!"

END SCENE.

But how it would most likely end now, is you tear up your cloak and end up with nothing.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Salvage
"...The amount of salvaged material produced varies based on several factors. Objects that are too small or of poor quality may provide nothing useable...."

Seems to me like your salvage-adjacent skill proficiencies are apprentice at best.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Seems like everyone should be able to convert most any cloth object into at least one "scrap of cloth" with near 100% success.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on December 10, 2022, 01:45:45 AM
Seems like everyone should be able to convert most any cloth object into at least one "scrap of cloth" with near 100% success.
This was sorta what I was getting at.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Another important point of that helpfile:

As of now, not all objects can be salvaged. You will not lose your object when attempting to salvage an object of an unsupported material.

Seems like if you lose the item, the material is salvageable, but if you get nothing, may be too small or two low quality to get anything useful out of it.

I'd say if you are finding items that don't produce salvagable goods and you think they should I'd bug it.

IF salvage requires some sort of connected skills, that should probably be mentioned in the helpfile to prevent player frustration. As it reads now, it has nothing to do with skill, but I have no clue if that's true or not.
21sters Unite!