Dung as a foragable item - To make campfires more viable in the south.

Started by Pariah, December 04, 2022, 04:03:38 PM

So there are two ways to make campfires, branches and dung not a spoiler it's in HELP CAMPFIRE.

The problem is that you so infrequently come across poop that you either have to go find it in a stable and pre-plan your campfires or you have to hope your mount shits a lot.

However, since you're outdoors in an area where all types of critters are virtually and physically around, why not allow for you to forage kindling for dung or forage dung in general?

It would make sense.

You forage around and find some dung under a layer of sand.

Craft Dung into #1
You get dried dung for campfires.

Why not?

Edit: Also why is dung invisible?  Having piles of shit everywhere would be themely.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Dung is an object with no long description until it reaches a certain quantity in a room, and then becomes visible.  This is because when the poop code went live, there was poop everywhere.  You can see objects with no long description by typing 'key .' in the room you are in.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 04, 2022, 04:12:53 PM
Dung is an object with no long description until it reaches a certain quantity in a room, and then becomes visible.  This is because when the poop code went live, there was poop everywhere.
... I'm still waiting for the problem....
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on December 04, 2022, 04:20:30 PM
...there was poop everywhere.

The game will visibly lag and hang when there are too many objects in a single room.  This is a problem of how Diku handles objects and rooms.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 04, 2022, 04:45:13 PM

The game will visibly lag and hang when there are too many objects in a single room.  This is a problem of how Diku handles objects and rooms.
If a mount shits, it's still an object in the room, just doesn't have any description, so the shit is still there, described or not.  So why not have it show up?

I can see my mount shit with my L33t scanning skills, so I just type craft dung and it works so it's in the room.

Does wildlife also poop?

Is there chalton poop all over where wild chalton live? If not, there is a reason to potentially add it to a forage table.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on December 05, 2022, 09:53:50 PM
Does wildlife also poop?

Is there chalton poop all over where wild chalton live? If not, there is a reason to potentially add it to a forage table.

I don't know about all wildlife but I'm pretty sure tregils poo a lot.

Please give us...

Tregils, chalton, even Mek poop. key .dung is your friend.
You don't see that here.

It sounds like the 'concern' in this post is that poop doesn't become a dung object in the room until it literally piles up, and they want to see the individual pieces.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2022, 08:30:08 AM
It sounds like the 'concern' in this post is that poop doesn't become a dung object in the room until it literally piles up, and they want to see the individual pieces.
Correct because of firemaking I want to see more campfires outside the north.

Reason?  Roleplay and practical, there are a bunch of crafts now that require fire in a room (Which I'm all for, great job on that) but to not have the ability to make fires down south without digging shit and pre planning your burns makes it not really feasible.

However, I'm riding around and killing these shit factories, but unless I notice the poop which is a chance, I don't have the opportunity to grab it and dry it.

Which is why I say, let my poop show, give me the POOP!

Many individual pieces of puce green dung are here.
Many individual pieces of oblong hard poop are here.
Many individual pieces of greyish moldy poop are here.
Many individual pieces of round poop are here.

(and so on)

key poop
(your screen locks because it's over 1000 pieces)

This is what /might/ happen if each piece was individual all the time.

What happens now:

Enough pieces of different poop become one single mound of poop, which holds a specified amount of *virtual* poop, and can be foraged from.

When you forage from that mound of poop, a piece eventually comes out and loads into the room as an individual piece.

So when you type key . you see:

A mound of poop.
One ball of brown poop.
Two oblong pieces of poop.

This helps in a few ways:
1. It allows for things you can't possibly collect all at one time anyway, to be rendered virtual until such time as you actually want to possess them.
2. It allows you the opportunity to train your forage skill.
3. It gives you/your clothing a stench.
4. It gives poop-shoveling things a coded function.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on December 06, 2022, 09:58:42 AM
Many individual pieces of puce green dung are here.
Many individual pieces of oblong hard poop are here.
Many individual pieces of greyish moldy poop are here.
Many individual pieces of round poop are here.

(and so on)

key poop
(your screen locks because it's over 1000 pieces)

This is what /might/ happen if each piece was individual all the time.

What happens now:

Enough pieces of different poop become one single mound of poop, which holds a specified amount of *virtual* poop, and can be foraged from.

When you forage from that mound of poop, a piece eventually comes out and loads into the room as an individual piece.

So when you type key . you see:

A mound of poop.
One ball of brown poop.
Two oblong pieces of poop.

This helps in a few ways:
1. It allows for things you can't possibly collect all at one time anyway, to be rendered virtual until such time as you actually want to possess them.
2. It allows you the opportunity to train your forage skill.
3. It gives you/your clothing a stench.
4. It gives poop-shoveling things a coded function.

I get how poop becomes a pile, like mekillots leaving their steaming turds lying around after being a in a room for a day.

But what is confusing and goofy to me is that if I see my mount poop, I can just go, Get dung or Craft dung, so it's an object in the room is it not?

It's just invisible. I've even picked it up and dropped it before and it does some goofy, you dropped NOTHING into the room or something.

I'm no coder, but doesn't that mean it's actually in the room just not described?  Or does it somehow vanish as an item after a set time?

I'll test it next time I'm able to go watch my mount poop lol

To expand further on the weirdness I'm seeing from my perspective.

Okay I get everything Hestia described, and think that's great for the stables right, we have bynners and other folks who can't leave the city or for some reason want to shit shovel, and it's a job, great and fine, I totally get making the stables generate shit at a pace of whatever you deem appropriate and turn into piles.

But what I don't get is the one off critters and mounts that poop whenever they poop, so in my experience, scrab, beetles whatever they move, whether it's chasing me to my death or just randomly going n e s w right?  Anyone who's played an outside character knows that, they might sit in the same room for a while, but they move.

So let's say that an average Chalton, poops twice a in game day, so that's what twice every 80 minutes-ish?  Normally there isn't very many of them in one room together.  So lets say it takes twenty poops (totally guessing but just for an example) to make a poop pile object.  So that would be 36 poops in a RL day, which would be almost two piles.

Why not just have them decay over time?  Say the poop only lasts for one day, so the poops will just degrade or (Sink into the sands) or whatever message that skinned stuff does after it sits too long.  That way it's self cleaning and regulating of itself.  And it makes drying poop useful, cause the poop doesn't biodegrade?

There may be some totally good reason code wise to have it be so wonky, but if there is, why not just remove that you see the mount poop at all, because as it is now you see a poop and it vanishes, but it's still there, it's a weird ass situation.  Also if it's this way for shit shovelers, why not just code the rooms that animals virtually live in to generate poop instead of relying on a mountain of poop before it's visual?

That's why I am sorta advocating for forage dung to be a thing, it's just added to a forage table and no coding is really required outside of taking dung from the existing shit item and putting it in a forage table and whipping up some messages.

Edit: I have no idea why I'm putting so much effort into a shit code.  A literal Shit Code...

Mansa delivered an explanation I found easy to understand: the shit code creating too many ldesc cause Diku code to lag.

Sure...chalton virtually shit...but coding it isn't worth the lag...and also, your mounts do leave those items if you use key . or the dung items keywords.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: Dracul on December 06, 2022, 11:59:39 AM

Mansa delivered an explanation I found easy to understand: the shit code creating too many ldesc cause Diku code to lag.

Sure...chalton virtually shit...but coding it isn't worth the lag...and also, your mounts do leave those items if you use key . or the dung items keywords.

Make the dung decay after so long.  Also it doesn't seem to be that often they shit, so I think that would take one critter sitting in a room multiple days to worry about it.

Well now I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want.

You understand the limitations of the game engine not listed out every instance of animal dung.
You understand that it will be dropped and have a {null} description in the room, unless you check for keywords.

Is your concern that you can't just find dung literally anywhere in the wilds, with forage dung? Because i have a few reasons, not even as a coder or DIKU reasons why that probably isn't a good idea.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2022, 12:40:36 PM
Well now I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want.

You understand the limitations of the game engine not listed out every instance of animal dung.
You understand that it will be dropped and have a {null} description in the room, unless you check for keywords.

Is your concern that you can't just find dung literally anywhere in the wilds, with forage dung? Because i have a few reasons, not even as a coder or DIKU reasons why that probably isn't a good idea.

You know what, I'll admit when I screw up and I think the point of this thread should have been something more akin to "More ways to make a campfire item in game."

Only reason I focused on Dung was I thought that would be an easier thing to make happen due to the fact there is always campfires made with dung.

But ultimately, my wish, my desire is to be able to make campfires south of Luirs without preplanning and carrying around a sack of shit.

Oh. This I would be more for. It is good to see more use for campfires (mostly as a "fire" needed for crafting).

Its SUPPOSED to get very cold in deserts at night. Maybe there needs to be more irrig lamps or some other sources of temporary light. Something that might be found in less vegetative climes.

Dung was probably an after thought when ... Olgaris the Poopsmith originally made all the poops.

Also on the dung crafting point...

I have advanced cooking, pretty sure it's maxed out for my class, and drying shit is harder than making fancy roasted scrab heads.

That might need a refactor.

Pretty sure if it's foragable in areas where you could find it, you wouldn't need the physical items at all.

Pretty sure foraged items are all virtual until successfully foraged.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on December 07, 2022, 12:04:24 AM
Pretty sure if it's foragable in areas where you could find it, you wouldn't need the physical items at all.

Pretty sure foraged items are all virtual until successfully foraged.

Tinder is forageable. I don't believe dung is. Dung isn't "virtual until foraged", its "got no coded long description until enough piles up".

Unless there's something in the help files I am missing.

Quoterock(s)|stone(s)
    Rocks, gems, and other precious stones
wood
    Wood objects, primarily used as raw crafting material
salt
    Salts and other minerals
artifact(s)
    A variety of old or discarded objects
food
    Edible objects, for those who can live off the land
kindling
    Firewood and kindling, useful for crafting campfires
spice
    Unearth siftable spice deposits

To my knowledge there is no Forage Dung option or any forage option that generates dung.

However, the forage system is used for shit shoveling, just like salting and other things that you use shovel thing on.

That might be where the confusion comes from.

Forage is the skill to get shit from the piles currently, and anyone can do it forage skill or not, but those with the actual forage skill will be awesome at it.

What I was saying is that it would be nice if Dung was part of say the tinder forage group or possibly it's own group.

Maybe limit it to the rooms that have animals listed in the room description, like ritikki chirping and stuff like that.  Or massive claw marks from a mekillot.

I've never foraged from dung piles... I know dung isn't visible items.

If you read what you quoted, I said IF DUNG WAS FORAGEABLE, it wouldn't need to be a physical item.
21sters Unite!