Weight of Items

Started by Pariah, November 21, 2022, 08:46:56 PM

Would it be possible to get a command that lets you know either roughly or accurately what you're carrying that's weighing you down?

I know you can assess each object and it gives you a rough estimate, but would be nice if you could do something like:

Weight bag
A large bag has:
thing - very light
thing - VERY HEAVY.

Or something similar.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

You're in luck!  One exists:

Value

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Value
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

If I'm not mistaken, I think Pariah means a 'what's the heaviest stuff on my body' not a 'how much does this thing weigh' command. I think it'd be neat to type 'heavy' and get a list of the heaviest things on my person, but I'm not sure how much I'd weight it's importance. Value, however, is really an underrated tool. A clever dune trader can really profit with judicious use of value.
You don't see that here.

Quote from: Filthy_Grey_Rat on November 22, 2022, 08:56:19 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Pariah means a 'what's the heaviest stuff on my body' not a 'how much does this thing weigh' command. I think it'd be neat to type 'heavy' and get a list of the heaviest things on my person, but I'm not sure how much I'd weight it's importance. Value, however, is really an underrated tool. A clever dune trader can really profit with judicious use of value.

Yes, there have been times where I'll go from unencumbered to super encumbered and I'm like, WTF is weighing me down.  Sometimes I can figure it out by dropping bits piece by piece.  But was just hoping for a way to see it.

Maybe an Encumbrance command or something that says what's weighing you down:

A large bag - VERY HEAVY
A metal breastplate - SUPER HEAVY.

Something like that.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I still think this is all in the Value command and watching what bags you pick up.

Sure, it'd be nice at-a-glance to know what item in your inventory is so heavy, but Value makes you pick it up and try and weight it.
That said? Coins are HEAAAAVYYYY
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 22, 2022, 09:24:31 AM
I still think this is all in the Value command and watching what bags you pick up.

Sure, it'd be nice at-a-glance to know what item in your inventory is so heavy, but Value makes you pick it up and try and weight it.
That said? Coins are HEAAAAVYYYY

I haven't actually tried the Value command on any character that doesn't have the value skill so you could be 100% correct.

Only slight pushback I'd give is that when people innately go, "I wonder how heavy things are." they don't think VALUE will be the route to go.  It's not an easy correlation.

Nomenclature is tough to change, because value returns more than just weight. But it can't be "assess" because we already have that command.

alias check value

check bag
"It can carry 70 stones and is nearly half full!"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Value seems to be all over the place for weight if you don't have the skill. And I hate that.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on November 23, 2022, 06:14:23 PM
Value seems to be all over the place for weight if you don't have the skill. And I hate that.

Agreed. I suggest a "compare" command.  Compare breastplate 2.breastplate to know which one is truly heavier.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean