Death, how important is it

Started by Dar, October 29, 2022, 01:59:21 PM

Perhaps a toggleable mercy status to allow your player to become immobilized (preventing fleeing of any kind, and something to stop spells etc think dying breath actions) at 1hp and if that attacker has the mercy status on as well, indicating a desire to rp out a 1 hp scene instead of no mercy or perhaps is intending to incap, auto disengage combat?  If that makes sense to anyone other than me.
"Elves are kinda antagonistic by default, aren't they? I'd say being an opportunist who robs and raids, particularly when there's low risk of consequence, is inherent to the elven experience." -Seltzer

Delves, shitty by design.

I also would like to see Mercy reworked so that it would always have non-lethal damage, leaving the person at 1 HP.  I would like the fantasy to be able to stop even if I swing my mighty-axe of +24 giant strength damage, and they are currently at 2 hp, to negate all bonuses and applied damage and only apply 1 HP damage.

Yes, it wouldn't be "realistic" but I would like it anyways, in this fantasy game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I would be open to a changing of some of this stuff discussed.

My contribution would be someone going over and making it more consistent with death blows.

There are certain critters in the world that will knock another critter unconscious if they end up fighting and then just mosey on out the room like nothing happened.

But then deathblow a character every single time.

I feel the deathblow should be consistent regardless of npc or pc.  If a black beetle kills every character it knocks out, then it should kill every EVERYTHING it knocks out. (I just use that critter as an example since everyone knows it exists, may not be a guilty party.)

Slide aside to this, I wish there was some mechanic to fleeing for NPCs, I have fled, instantly typed run and direction direction direction to have them keep up, fight me again, flee and rinse and repeat till I'm outta stamina and die.

Players get a delay after the kill pc command, but critters don't. (Or if they do it's nowhere near as long as a player)  Seems unfair.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

November 08, 2022, 03:13:07 AM #28 Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:14:46 AM by Inks
Please make predatory animals kill mounts as well as riders especially swarm animals. DEVOUR MY CORPSE. I want today's heroes of Zalanthas to be tomorrow's spider shit. DEATH IS WELCOMED.

(No changey)

Quote from: Inks on November 08, 2022, 03:13:07 AM
Please make predatory animals kill mounts as well as riders especially swarm animals. DEVOUR MY CORPSE. I want today's heroes of Zalanthas to be tomorrow's spider shit. DEATH IS WELCOMED.

(No changey)

I've always thought it's strange that they don't go after your mount.

I know why oocly they don't.  Because your mount is strong as fuck, and they don't want people getting the two versus one buff while their mount is landing hard ass blows on that scrab.

But maybe the answer is just to not make mounts be so hard hitting?

I had a time once I think staff animated a pretty strong beast, and had it attack my beetle, my beetle beat the living shit outta the critter to the point it fled and I finished it off.

So in a realistic sense, they should be killing or at least attempting to kill mounts.  But game balance sense they probably don't want that so that people aren't going ASSIST MOUNT to gangbang critters.

But it would be cool if they could figure out a way to do it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

What if those dumb bugs that eat tiny bugs were more realistically not massive health sponges (maybe give as much as two chalton instead, so people have to be more careful with the life of their animals instead of assuming they can tank everything) with the combat ability of a ferocious predator in the first place, that'd solve a lot of those issues, it always seemed sort of gamey how these creatures that are quite low on the food chain were like this.

November 08, 2022, 07:50:08 PM #31 Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:52:30 PM by Inks
Yes I don't mean animals suiciding into your beast, I mean add something so animals that can take on your mount will do so, if in numbers. I don't mind if they wait until the pc is dead or fled first.

The last animation that attacked my inix killed it in three hits, so you got lucky with yours :)

The only differentiating factor that makes this game interesting is permadeath. I wouldn't make it harder to die.

If anything we need headsets like this.

I want to die holding my bynner guts in my arms in the back of the wagon, while I watch the remainder of the rpt story. I am a body, that still has it's eyes open.

Let me sit an -9 hp because my chest was crushed when the bahamet stomped on me, and don't let me survive unless there is magick, quickly. When sergeant says 'quick, finish him off' sure maybe mantis me but...please expand the death scene by any means reasonable.
Veteran Newbie

I think if it serves a dramatic purpose, have your bleeding out on the wagon moment. But if it doesn't, just die immediately and get on with planning your next role.

Would be nice if there was a bit of out of body view to see what happens after the mantis head.

Maybe like a bit of a killcam type ability to see but not influence anything.

Maybe pop a message in the room where folks can allow it or not who are alive.

Shrug

Quote from: Pariah on November 10, 2022, 03:53:41 AM
Would be nice if there was a bit of out of body view to see what happens after the mantis head.

Maybe like a bit of a killcam type ability to see but not influence anything.

Maybe pop a message in the room where folks can allow it or not who are alive.

Shrug

Provided that's taken into account, that would be pretty cool, just so as you can't leave the room of course, or look at the people in case you got murderized and it was a masked assailant you didn't get a look at before dying.

November 10, 2022, 11:39:03 AM #37 Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:43:58 AM by Inks
I'd like the ability as a killer to be able to send a small portion of the pk report to the player whose pc mine killed, explaining a no-names reason for their death. This would be approved by imms and sent on to victim's player after pk report is processed.

I'm not a fan of the killcam thing though. The more ic seamless the better for me.

Quote from: Inks on November 10, 2022, 11:39:03 AM
I'd like the ability as a killer to be able to send a small portion of the pk report to the player whose pc mine killed, explaining a no-names reason for their death. This would be approved by imms and sent on to victim's player after pk report is processed.

I'm not a fan of the killcam thing though. The more ic seamless the better for me.

Isn't this what kudos are for?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

November 12, 2022, 01:47:09 AM #39 Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 01:57:31 AM by Inks
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on November 11, 2022, 09:41:40 PM
Quote from: Inks on November 10, 2022, 11:39:03 AM

Isn't this what kudos are for?

No it is congratulating them on how awesome their PC was or how they RP'd the scene, you aren't supposed to reveal IC reasons for their death in it vague or otherwise.

Is an optional thing I would like to be included for greater PC closure, telling the general reason they died.

August 18, 2023, 04:59:28 PM #40 Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:20:14 PM by mansa
Death/Dying Suggested Code Changes:

Allow the Game to Display when you heal or when you suffer while you are in a critical state

#1 - Have it echo every time you increase in hitpoints when you're lower than 1 HP.
eg:
going from -8 to -7
You are critically injured, but seem to recover slightly.

#2 - Have it echo every time you decrease in hitpoints when you're lower than 1 HP.
eg:
going from -7 to -8
You are critically injured, and continue to suffer.

#3 - Have it echo when you go from 0 to 1 hitpoint.
eg:
You are critically injured, but seem to recover slightly.
You are no longer critically injured.

#4 - Have it echo when you go from -10 to -11 hitpoints.
eg:
You are critically injured, and continue to suffer.
The last drop of blood finally trickles out of your body, and you die.

Allow the Game to Display the truth of how you died:

#1 - Show the description of the person (if they are hooded, then the hooded description) that attacked and killed you with a combat strike, when you are in a critial state / knocked out.  :edit: I would even be satisfied by it just showing "someone".
It is very disheartening when you cannot see what is attacking you, or how the final blow happened. Or if you recover - why are you hurt so much...

I'm not sure if this is already possible, but I'd like to make sure that:
#2 - Allow communcation to go through to you, when you are in a critical state.  Nothing sucks more than having the villain do a monologue and you can't hear it because you're in a critical state.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I would rather not being able to see your attacker while at mortally, there is already too much ooc communication going on as it is.

Everything else Mansa said is fine though, I especially like the -/+ damage tick messsges.

Quote from: Inks on August 18, 2023, 08:48:36 PMI would rather not being able to see your attacker while at mortally, there is already too much ooc communication going on as it is.

Yes, I could settle for having it echo with 'someone'.  Currently, there is no echo when you are in critical condition / unconscious and you get hit by a weapon... So you don't know why your hit points are so low.

Quote from: mansa on August 18, 2023, 04:59:28 PMDeath/Dying Suggested Code Changes:
Allow the Game to Display when you heal or when you suffer while you are in a critical state

as an aside, if people do/want to use tintin++ I have written scripts in the Screen Reader Thread for echoing HP changes. Happy to help tailor if anybody wants something.

Quote from: Inks on August 18, 2023, 08:48:36 PMI would rather not being able to see your attacker while at mortally, there is already too much ooc communication going on as it is.

Everything else Mansa said is fine though, I especially like the -/+ damage tick messsges.
How would this be different from seeing who kills you face to face? It would be the same effect. If we can't trust each other to keep thins separate between characters, we might as well shut down the game. We're all in the Byn and see who plays who in the clan boards and if you die, you still remember who is who. You just don't use that information. It's that simple. The game shouldn't have to force you to play by the rules.

August 19, 2023, 07:35:43 PM #45 Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 07:38:39 PM by Windstorm
The people who are determined to take things OOC and let it affect their roleplay are going to whether anyone likes it or not. At some point we just need to try and not let it affect the rest of us who aren't that way.

Let's at least try not assume the worst of each other.

I like the suggestion.

For all the fun things you can get into in Armageddon, death is pretty short, unsatisfying, and often disappointing. If there were more ways I could make it less disappointing for people somehow, I would. I wish it were a little easier to stop a critically wounded PC from dying, myself. Ways to make ransoms, kidnappings, taking prisoners and even being a realistic prisoner more of a thing.

I don't think permadeath is the problem. Neither is the danger level of the wilderness.

The problem for me, as I age, is that it takes entirely too much time to play this game and be good.

And by "good" I don't mean simple coded power. It takes entirely too much time to be "good" socially, as well.  A simple conversation about trading can take longer than riding from Allanak to Tuluk.

But yeah...the grind to become decent in mundane melee is bad. The grind to become excellent is excruciating.  And then you can die to some dumb shit like a magick nuke or poison or mega-RPT mobs anyway, and nobody will care.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 19, 2023, 10:27:51 PMI don't think permadeath is the problem. Neither is the danger level of the wilderness.

The problem for me, as I age, is that it takes entirely too much time to play this game and be good.

And by "good" I don't mean simple coded power. It takes entirely too much time to be "good" socially, as well.  A simple conversation about trading can take longer than riding from Allanak to Tuluk.

But yeah...the grind to become decent in mundane melee is bad. The grind to become excellent is excruciating.  And then you can die to some dumb shit like a magick nuke or poison or mega-RPT mobs anyway, and nobody will care.

As someone who's played a lot of wilderness characters, I actively feel stressed for the first month of playing said character because the grind required to get your character to a 'safe' point can take a fair bit. For example, having bad ride can very easily get you killed. Falling off your mount in front of a hostile mob is a one-way ticket to making a new character.

What really doesn't help is how completely GIMPED you are if you're not playing a sparring clan, and even if you are playing in a sparring clan? If you're european you can be just as fucked, because people just wont be around to spar with in the first place. It's just my least favorite part of the game and I 100% admit that I will twink as much as I can to get to that checkpoint where I don't have to worry about common mobs ripping my head off.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 19, 2023, 10:27:51 PMI don't think permadeath is the problem. Neither is the danger level of the wilderness.

Like just now.  I go to take a piss, and a mob comes in and ganks me.  22 days played down the drain. Fuck this game, for real. God damn, why did I even log back in. Ridiculous.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah, we need piss boxes. Boxes you can put up around your char to keep the game out and PCs that would respect an idling char able to approach. It'd keep danger just at the edge, there, over there, present, still there, still danger, but outside the piss box. And for a set amount of time.

More and other changes, too. Death could be something we could all have fun with, instead of something that ends like this.
"...only listeners will hear your true pronunciation."