Death, how important is it

Started by Dar, October 29, 2022, 01:59:21 PM

Quote from: Jimpka_Moss on August 21, 2023, 01:28:16 AMYeah, we need piss boxes. Boxes you can put up around your char to keep the game out and PCs that would respect an idling char able to approach. It'd keep danger just at the edge, there, over there, present, still there, still danger, but outside the piss box. And for a set amount of time.

> quit ooc Need to take a piss.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 20, 2023, 10:05:09 PMLike just now.  I go to take a piss, and a mob comes in and ganks me.  22 days played down the drain. Fuck this game, for real. God damn, why did I even log back in. Ridiculous.
If I will be unable to watch the screen for more than 10 seconds I will simply log out. My current signature is because staff became annoyed with how often i typed <quit ooc taking a shit>. Now I just give vague non reasons and nobody has complained yet try <quit ooc logging out> or <quit ooc valid reason>

of course i didn't read the next page and someone already said it

Yeah I mean you are a veteran complaining about dying while afk. Quit ooc solves that whole thing.

I don't see an issue with the current state of death and everything that comes with it. I've died from alot of dumb shit, falling and breaking my neck, falling asleep at the keys, the dumbass list goes on. It's realism. RoleplayINTENSIVE. Please don't soften the game!

Quote from: kakkarot on August 21, 2023, 06:34:24 PMI don't see an issue with the current state of death and everything that comes with it. I've died from alot of dumb shit, falling and breaking my neck, falling asleep at the keys, the dumbass list goes on. It's realism. RoleplayINTENSIVE. Please don't soften the game!

I've never liked the 'realism' argument as it's rarely used to make the game easier, only harder. I understand that this person in particular kinda made a huge mistake by going afk in a dangerous place, but generally the problem of death does still stand. It's incredibly easy to die in a game where you're expected to invest hundreds/thousands of hours into your character, so I don't understand some of the callous reactions to people lamenting over this, it seems a little insensitive at times.

I don't think I would mind the dying issue if the early-character experience wasn't so bad. As some others have pointed out, the first month of grind is usually pretty unenjoyable and feels like a slog, on top of that you have the issue of rolling bad stats and all that comes with that.

Quote from: Dusty Boots on August 21, 2023, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: kakkarot on August 21, 2023, 06:34:24 PMI don't see an issue with the current state of death and everything that comes with it. I've died from alot of dumb shit, falling and breaking my neck, falling asleep at the keys, the dumbass list goes on. It's realism. RoleplayINTENSIVE. Please don't soften the game!

I've never liked the 'realism' argument as it's rarely used to make the game easier, only harder. I understand that this person in particular kinda made a huge mistake by going afk in a dangerous place, but generally the problem of death does still stand. It's incredibly easy to die in a game where you're expected to invest hundreds/thousands of hours into your character, so I don't understand some of the callous reactions to people lamenting over this, it seems a little insensitive at times.

I don't think I would mind the dying issue if the early-character experience wasn't so bad. As some others have pointed out, the first month of grind is usually pretty unenjoyable and feels like a slog, on top of that you have the issue of rolling bad stats and all that comes with that.

I get what you mean about tweaking a certain level of ease to playing, but the way death is, in my opinion, is just fine. This is coming from a guy who really hasn't had any incredibly long lived character. It's part of the build up and good decision making to wait that extra thirty minutes for the sun to raise and visibility to increase. Or when you decide to QUIT OOC and not let your PC 'daydream krathstruck' while you go lay bricks in the bathroom. It really boils down to making safe decisions, and just like if we stuck your ass in some extremely harsh and malicious environment, there's always the looming threat of getting beasted on maneeeeeee!

I wonder if you'll change your tune when you HAVE had a longer lived PC get killed, almost solely because they're long lived and it would be a "statement" to have you killed rather than draw out an interesting rivalry.

Death is important. Its a permadeath game. Its important to know when you're doing something that could get you killed. AFK in wilderness is one thing. Being one-shot during the daytime in a shop with no real RP leading up to it? It makes death feel cheap.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

August 22, 2023, 05:32:49 PM #58 Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 05:40:20 PM by Windstorm
Playing a long lived PC on Armageddon is entirely different from doing the meatgrinder thing. One's play experience is likely alien one way from the other.

When you're even entering these discussions, it's important to understand there's a chasmic span between playstyles here and yours isn't the only that matters. The entire experience some make for themselves revolves around killing PCs. Others can feel "kill them" is the only solution to anything, and that sort of attitude builds off of itself even for people who aren't into it. Personally I wish there were conflict developments that were somewhere in a grey area between "kill them" or "don't kill them." Again, I bring up kidnappings, ransom, and imprisonment. All of which are honestly more realistic, interactive, and interesting in a lot of situations than just "kill them and take their stuff."

I wouldn't argue necessarily for making death less frequent. I don't think that's what mansa was proposing. It's not even what I'm proposing. I'd just be really down, myself, for making death less abbreviated and shitty for the player whose PC is experiencing it. Players who just make a new PC weekly don't care or don't understand, but players who've had their PC for a long time, investing a lot of creativity and emotion, don't just crank out another desc, settle in for a grind, make a new PC and shrug it off the same.

* Side note, but sorry that happened to you Synthesis. Armageddon is (unfortunately sometimes) a difficult experience because you're either somewhere safe-ish with a feeling that you can roleplay, look away at something else going on, relax and enjoy yourself, OR you're sort of leaned forward focusing on it, ready to react to anything. There's almost no middle ground for me personally and it makes it hard for me to play, sometimes. I don't always want that level of intensity; I go through whole stretches of time, once in awhile, where I just avoid it.

I believe part of the answer to this is in the recent RP/karma thread. I would be willing to bet there are only a small percentage of players that kill pc's, and this should be easy to know by staff who the PK'ers are. And out of those who kill on the regular, which ones are doing it for 'insert fake reason here'. Speaking for myself, the only two pc's I ever remember killing were: an accidental one where I thought I had mercy on, and one I was a half-giant who was ordered by a leader to smash someone's head.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: Lotion on August 22, 2023, 05:56:50 PMDeath is so important. You freaks who play the same character for 2+ IRL years should get force stored on principle just because you're missing out on one of the most important aspects of the game.

I'm certain we could all benefit from some time in each others' shoes.

Quote from: Windstorm on August 22, 2023, 06:11:06 PMI'm certain we could all benefit from some time in each others' shoes.

This develops empathy, plus I'll have your shoes.

August 24, 2023, 02:40:10 PM #62 Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 01:23:59 PM by LindseyBalboa
I've almost lasted an RL year on a PC.

I would consider myself a 'frequently dead' player.

I would also probably lump myself into the 'PK-ok' group of players.

My thoughts:

-- Every PC is going to die on Armageddon at some point whether or not they've been played for a day or 15 real life years and this isn't a game where one gets  to pick when that is.

-- A long-lived PC isn't a rep-making target. A famous, well-known, connected, potentially powerful and rich PC is a target. They should probably invest in protection.

-- A 2 RL year played PC is not more important than a 1 day played PC. More (or less) time invested in a PC does not mean one story matters more than the other.

-- Every single player on Armageddon has the ability to stack commands. It's purely by choice if someone is initiating PK without any emote.

"BACKSTAB PC ; EMOTE emotes about backstabbing and coming up to PC and doing backstabby things" puts an emote into the pre-delay for the backstab command.

"EMOTE emotes about killing PC ; KILL PC" puts an emote out as the kill command is initiated.

-- "Mercy on" PKs, or PKs where the attacked PC is left alive and able to be emoted to before actual death, are great to offer if possible but not feasible for many situations. A second attack triggers criminal code in a city as a glaring example.

-- (a general statement) Player complaint if someone PKs you and it isn't satisfying. Discourse on the GDB/Discord is ineffective without that action. Every PK requires a PK log to be sent in, every PK can be scrutinized, and every player can improve. I once had to compile logs and go through my biographies to explain my character growth, previous PC interactions, and what all led up to a PK.

And lastly I'll use the opp to again suggest requiring a personality as well as a background. This is a roleplaying-required game and roleplay requires building a character's hopes, dreams, hates, likes, etc. Any PK (or PC action) should be easily explained by pointing to a pre-defined character personality and the growth they've experience since entering the grid.

Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts