half giant chest locking

Started by Lotion, October 18, 2022, 06:37:53 AM

It should be possible to lock a chest by placing a very large rock (or other heavy object on it) such that the chest cannot be opened without removing the heavy object.

I agree for metal chests.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 18, 2022, 07:52:58 AM
I agree for metal chests.
Or stone chests. Perhaps stone reinforced wooden chests built with this purpose in mind.

October 18, 2022, 08:36:39 AM #3 Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:27:43 AM by mansa
I was doing the math, and the chest would need to have a weight about 600 stone (or kg) for it to support the weight of a rock that large.

Why not simply use a stone cover that weighs that much?  Why put a rock on-top of a rock when the lid can be that rock?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So make it strength related to be able to open and close? Oooo interesting.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: mansa on October 18, 2022, 08:36:39 AM
I was doing the math, and the chest would need to have a weight about 600 stone (or kg) for it to support the weight of a rock that large.

Wait, what math are you doing? O_o For a plain cuboid box, I'd expect the lid to fail pretty fast if loaded in the center, but for it to support quite a bit more if the edges are bearing.
"The compressive strength test of granite is ranging from 1050 to 1358 kg/cm2"

Quote from: mansa on October 18, 2022, 08:36:39 AM
Why not simply use a stone cover that weighs that much?  Why put a rock on-top of a rock when the lid can be that rock?

Because "put rock on chest" is peak half-giant humor.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

A chest that only a half-giant or mul can open is quite secure in Zalanthas for many purposes. If you have a compound with heavily restricted access it would be nigh impossible to sneak a half-giant or mul in there to open the chest and an elf who could infiltrate the location of the chest would be unable to open it. In places such as a random cave or an apartment it is less useful because the elf can say "hey, come with me. I need help opening a box." and then break into the apartment. In the cave a half giant would be looking around and say "Wow, this is a funny box. I wonder what's inside?

Pretty sure the elf would be able to leverage the situation to their gain.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 19, 2022, 03:08:33 AM
Pretty sure the elf would be able to leverage the situation to their gain.
I think it would be nearly impossible for an elf to gain unauthorized access to the contents of an "hg locked" chest inside of a GMH argosy.

Ok, let me try once again to point out the problem with the entire plan.

Leverage.

It isn't hard to move heavy stuff.

pickaxes could also be used to break apart the stone being used as a 'lock'. The only feasible way I see HG-only 'locking' storage functioning realistically is having a spot in the gameworld that has a slot in some sort of super hard stone wall, with a deep-seated drawer that simply can't be pulled out/opened by anyone with less than HG strength.

HGs should just ask nearby elves to keep their belongings safe and give them a chest with all the stuff.

Elf will never give the items to anyone else.

Elf will never leave, because he's too weak to move with the chest.

Elf will never let go of the chest.

A perfect guard.  Lasts for six days at least as elves are perfect survivors and can last without food and water for the longest time.

HG assassin.  Drop however many chests needed to fill room, then give elf chest.   Dead elf.  Can't drop the chest, room is too full, and can't  move anywhere, chest is too heavy.   It's a full proof plan. (fool is spelled wrong on purpose)

junk chest
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

>open chest

There's not enough room here to open that.

(Please don't implement this.)
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Semi related but imagine locking a trapdoor by putting rocks on it

It should be possible to push the rock off the chest without lifting it. HGs suck and deserve NOTHING. I do like the idea of a HG lifting a rock onto a backpack full of kalan tarts to "keep them safe" though.

Quote from: Inks on October 24, 2022, 04:06:05 PM
It should be possible to push the rock off the chest without lifting it. HGs suck and deserve NOTHING. I do like the idea of a HG lifting a rock onto a backpack full of kalan tarts to "keep them safe" though.

My HG was fine YOU suck <3

I just can't get behind a mechanic that requires a PC play a certain race to open a chest. And because of that, you would have to allow for even a weak elf to have an OPTION to open it, which would negate the idea.

For that, I'm out.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.