Feedback on playing and log-ins

Started by Shabago, October 01, 2022, 11:43:02 AM

October 24, 2022, 03:35:09 PM #275 Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:37:04 PM by Master Color
Staff shouldn't be playing sorcs and psis for the same reason they shouldn't be allowed to play in clans they administer.

The knowledge they gain from staffing can be too easily abused, they can insert themselves into plots far too easily and they arn't reliant on legwork just to learn what the state of the world is.

Meanwhile cut to my sorc who was literally struggling to get even 10 minutes of interaction in just 3 hours of play while staff were breathing down my neck about not being involved enough.

Quote from: Patuk on October 24, 2022, 01:59:12 PM
If you get sexually abused, come forward, and are told you're a liar before getting banned, you have been done a favor. You are no longer part of a community that will treat you so poorly.

To wit, I was startled, disappointed in the thoroughness of which everything was deleted and the public silence with which my ban was dealt until it was made public-- but the ban itself was irrelevant. Or if it was relevant, it was only in that it reinforced my desire to disengage.

That says enough, I think, and this the final post I will make here, as I see that my original post is archived elsewhere. There's no point in going through all the effort of re-writing it and laboring over how to phrase things "just so" -- I've done that enough already, to no effect.

I do regret some of the phrasing, such as the mental health comment- I meant to indicate that while I do not get along with them, I hold them no malice and hope that they self-reflect and improve. Simply put, it is unhealthy for me to be exposed to them (and possibly for them to be exposed to me, since we have such an irreconcilable difference). Would I recommend they remain in a position of authority (i.e. higher than storyteller) in the game? No. Did I demand they be fired or similar? No. I simply did not want them in a position to wield power over me any longer, and judging by the responses I got, and on reflection, the only way that was going to happen was for me to leave the game.

Staff whom I had thought were understanding and fair attacked me and my integrity in that staff member's defense.

It was and is now even clearer based on various responses both public and private that no matter how I present matters, I will be painted in the wrong. Impartial mediation of a messy situation is more difficult than dismissing it, wiping the table clean, and trying to start over.

So, I did all of us a favor, and disengaged entirely from the game.

If I were in the mood to be tongue in cheek, I'd post that meme from Half-Baked, but I imagine it'd get taken too seriously and folks would get riled, so I'll just say: I enjoyed playing with many of you. It's a shame that it came to this, and I think it was Wizturbo or Malken that said something along the lines of: while I don't play, I remember the game fondly, and I observe it from afar, hoping for improvement.

I've become a pessimist in that regard, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

So long, and thanks for all the stories. Delirium out.

I would like to know what was said by Delirium if anyone has a summary of it. I think it's important to understand what the experience it. I hadn't been reading the thread, but the banning / deleting of posts did make me uncomfortable, especially since I see words such as 'abuse' and 'sexually abused' being quoted.

Here is the post in it's entirety and before staff even want to question me, yes, I got it from the shadow boards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see a lot of bandying about of this or that idea that might help in the short-term but I don't see the root issue being actively addressed. It's the elephant in the room. Few mention it because they're still invested in the game and don't want to be punished, and the rest are too tired of wasting their breath, or they've simply moved on and don't feel that it's worth even engaging with. I have time today. So what the heck, I'll step up.

gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,57217.msg1076606.html#msg1076606

I posted that, and was encouraged to come back by a few people, to give the game a chance.

On deciding to give the game another chance, I immediately met with an issue where staff went back on a prior agreement, but I still figured out a way to adjust my character's story and return. I had fun for about a month, then was met with more abuse veiled in "professionalism" and hostile behavior across multiple channels, and when I brought it up, of course it was denied, and I was just being dramatic. The well was clearly poisoned against me by someone who had far more authority than I, a player, could counteract. So I left again.

Current policies and cultures of personality among some staff have created a cult-like atmosphere where players strive for staff approval while staff do not need to reciprocate in kind. I had genuine hopes for actual collaboration and two-way street communication, but every time I apologized for my frustrations (and frankly, some things I should not have apologized for, but I did so in the hopes of improving reconciliation and a better understanding moving forward). Instead, my apologies were weaponized against me. What fun.

I realize that most staff are well-meaning. That doesn't mean the rot isn't there.

The final straw came when a staff member who had been historically manipulative and had recently been rude to me across multiple channels responded to a request meant for someone else with a cherry-picked and brusque response to something I'd spent hours carefully putting together in hopes of assisting staff with a project they were clearly excited about. Most changes that staff member made were punitive, while other suggestions were ignored entirely. I had forgiven much of this staffer's abuse in the past (we're talking 20 years of history, both in game and without). I even stood up for that staff member when I felt they were unfairly accused, as lo and behold, I am capable of putting aside my dislike for someone and attempting to be as impartial as possible. But, at this point, I no longer wished to work with them again, I was tired of holding back the reasons why I felt that way, and I explained that in my subsequent response.

The response I got was that they were in the right, they were not going anywhere, I was throwing around "buzzwords", I was called "vicious", and my objections were further compared to me accusing staff of acting like serial killers and axe murderers.

At the time, I felt like I'd been gut-punched and was in tears, but distance has rendered that whole situation darkly hilarious. I was so desperate to find a way to continue playing, to "fix" things, that I was putting up with verbal and emotional abuse.

Thus it was proved to me, despite my initial hopes, that staff culture has not fundamentally changed, nor is it likely to.

So I ceased engaging, and I left.

I remember once, I'd put weeks of preparation into an RPT, gathered a good amount of people, and got the dreaded "light-show." I was disappointed and offered ways it could have been a more engaging scene for players if a similar situation arose in the future. I was told that I should be grateful we got that much as they considered having the RPT be a complete failure. That would have been the equivalent of standing around for real life hours, doing nothing, in the name of realism, in a game that is supposed to be ... fun?

In what world am I wrong to be frustrated with that sort of attitude and response?

Aside from the iron curtain and general staff-player relations, I think staff have also lost sight of two critical things: one, this is a roleplaying game that is meant to be fun, so focusing too much on policing realism and encouraging "harshness" detracts from that. There needs to be a balance between the world theme and the game remaining entertaining to play. Two, player effort doesn't seem to register. At all.

Yes staff put in a lot of effort too, but if something is exhausting a player who is trying their best to to shrug off frustrations so they can continue trying to create engaging stories and involve others, then maybe, just maybe, you should listen to that player's concerns and take them seriously so they don't end up imploding under the pressure of what is supposed to be a game. Too often, staff end up pushing players into the role of mini-staff, but without any of the tools staff get (and then wonder why "leadership roles" have such high turnover).

When you read a request, the ideal thought process should be, how can I support this player, and if their idea isn't workable, how can I convey that in a way that helps them understand the gameworld and encourages them to find another idea that is?

If your thought process is "ugh" and to want to toss a snarky remark and close the request, step down from staff. Yesterday.

The game is also far too siloed; players are judged poorly for wanting to interact, and many policies and documentations that go in place seems to encourage further separation. You have 4 people in a tavern, but one's an elf, one's a gemmed mage, one's a half-elf, and one's a human, and everyone's scared to interact with each other, because it might be bad roleplay, and staff might come down on them for the very human desire to entertain themselves in a roleplaying game. Yes, you can engage in conflict roleplay that remains OOCly fun, but that takes practice. It also takes veteran players to set a good example, but those players are increasingly driven away or become staff and rarely have time to do so. Finally, grimdark all the time without any levity and fun to balance it out makes for a depressing, boring time all around.

I realize all of this is wasted breath; I realize that nothing is likely to fundamentally change. Staff are too fixated on their harsh world, and too unwilling to admit culpability enough to enact real, effective and long-lasting policy and behavior change. Nice-sounding words will be bandied about, things might seem better for a while, but then we go right back to the same-old, same-old.

I've seen this happen over and over again for 20 years and after being force-stored while taking a break to let myself cool down and decide whether this game was still worth it, I can't see at all how you're going to repair all that repeatedly broken trust. It's no wonder to me that staff is focused on bringing in new blood instead, except those players aren't going to stick without solid veterans to draw them in.

Back to my own issues, and the reason why I and my husband aren't playing.

In a last-ditch effort to salvage matters, my husband sent in a request with his own concerns, carefully and diplomatically written, with a clear path toward resolution, should staff have taken him up on it. Instead, it was rebutted, and clear that entire swathes of the request were ignored; why that is, I can speculate, but that does nobody any good. All I know is the end result was both of us force-stored and two long-time veterans, who are without a doubt solid roleplayers who are good at catching, carrying, and creating plots, have stopped playing. ("Oh, it's not force storage, you're welcome to ask for them back" -- except we did not ask for or want our characters stored, ergo, that is the definition of force storage. Claiming it was not force storage is a great example of weasel words to justify bad behavior.)

I can think of at least two other veterans who had similar experiences and offered equal or greater value to the game, who also left.

Until staff takes a hard look at their own house and cleans it out of abusive, cynical behavior, and until behavior shifts toward enabling and collaborating rather than policing, nothing will get better long-term, and the game will continue to stagnate and suffer.

It's a shame. I do genuinely hope to see the game recover. I hold no malice toward the game or even toward the staff; even the one who was so abusive toward me clearly needs help IRL and hopefully will, someday, receive it, and take accountability for their behavior.

For a while, I thought that at least I could provide entertainment for other players and try not to engage with staff, but that kept proving to be a fool's hope, and it came to a point where I felt irresponsible if I kept trying to draw other players into the game's current culture.

I've told many stories that I will cherish, but considering all of the above, I won't be back unless things actually get better.

In the meantime I'll be channeling my creativity in other ways, and I won't be holding my breath.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

That is really unfortunate and demotivating and I understand that things might've been taken personally but I don't see how that is a post to ban someone for.

I remember Delirium, man, they seemed like a great player! If I recall well, really cool emotes, don't know what was going on behind the scenes with staff. Judging by the post and tone in general, I don't see them being repeat offenders or problem players, but maybe I am wrong.

I'm a bit sad in general now after reading the thread.

Quote from: Svalinya on October 24, 2022, 03:55:41 PM
Jesus Christ, what happened here?

I think thread needs to locked. We aren't on topic anymore, we are just making a bigger fire.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on October 24, 2022, 05:05:45 PM

I think thread needs to locked. We aren't on topic anymore, we are just making a bigger fire.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Krath on October 24, 2022, 04:14:34 PM
Here is the post in it's entirety and before staff even want to question me, yes, I got it from the shadow boards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see a lot of bandying about of this or that idea that might help in the short-term but I don't see the root issue being actively addressed. It's the elephant in the room. Few mention it because they're still invested in the game and don't want to be punished, and the rest are too tired of wasting their breath, or they've simply moved on and don't feel that it's worth even engaging with. I have time today. So what the heck, I'll step up.

gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,57217.msg1076606.html#msg1076606

I posted that, and was encouraged to come back by a few people, to give the game a chance.

On deciding to give the game another chance, I immediately met with an issue where staff went back on a prior agreement, but I still figured out a way to adjust my character's story and return. I had fun for about a month, then was met with more abuse veiled in "professionalism" and hostile behavior across multiple channels, and when I brought it up, of course it was denied, and I was just being dramatic. The well was clearly poisoned against me by someone who had far more authority than I, a player, could counteract. So I left again.

Current policies and cultures of personality among some staff have created a cult-like atmosphere where players strive for staff approval while staff do not need to reciprocate in kind. I had genuine hopes for actual collaboration and two-way street communication, but every time I apologized for my frustrations (and frankly, some things I should not have apologized for, but I did so in the hopes of improving reconciliation and a better understanding moving forward). Instead, my apologies were weaponized against me. What fun.

I realize that most staff are well-meaning. That doesn't mean the rot isn't there.

The final straw came when a staff member who had been historically manipulative and had recently been rude to me across multiple channels responded to a request meant for someone else with a cherry-picked and brusque response to something I'd spent hours carefully putting together in hopes of assisting staff with a project they were clearly excited about. Most changes that staff member made were punitive, while other suggestions were ignored entirely. I had forgiven much of this staffer's abuse in the past (we're talking 20 years of history, both in game and without). I even stood up for that staff member when I felt they were unfairly accused, as lo and behold, I am capable of putting aside my dislike for someone and attempting to be as impartial as possible. But, at this point, I no longer wished to work with them again, I was tired of holding back the reasons why I felt that way, and I explained that in my subsequent response.

The response I got was that they were in the right, they were not going anywhere, I was throwing around "buzzwords", I was called "vicious", and my objections were further compared to me accusing staff of acting like serial killers and axe murderers.

At the time, I felt like I'd been gut-punched and was in tears, but distance has rendered that whole situation darkly hilarious. I was so desperate to find a way to continue playing, to "fix" things, that I was putting up with verbal and emotional abuse.

Thus it was proved to me, despite my initial hopes, that staff culture has not fundamentally changed, nor is it likely to.

So I ceased engaging, and I left.

I remember once, I'd put weeks of preparation into an RPT, gathered a good amount of people, and got the dreaded "light-show." I was disappointed and offered ways it could have been a more engaging scene for players if a similar situation arose in the future. I was told that I should be grateful we got that much as they considered having the RPT be a complete failure. That would have been the equivalent of standing around for real life hours, doing nothing, in the name of realism, in a game that is supposed to be ... fun?

In what world am I wrong to be frustrated with that sort of attitude and response?

Aside from the iron curtain and general staff-player relations, I think staff have also lost sight of two critical things: one, this is a roleplaying game that is meant to be fun, so focusing too much on policing realism and encouraging "harshness" detracts from that. There needs to be a balance between the world theme and the game remaining entertaining to play. Two, player effort doesn't seem to register. At all.

Yes staff put in a lot of effort too, but if something is exhausting a player who is trying their best to to shrug off frustrations so they can continue trying to create engaging stories and involve others, then maybe, just maybe, you should listen to that player's concerns and take them seriously so they don't end up imploding under the pressure of what is supposed to be a game. Too often, staff end up pushing players into the role of mini-staff, but without any of the tools staff get (and then wonder why "leadership roles" have such high turnover).

When you read a request, the ideal thought process should be, how can I support this player, and if their idea isn't workable, how can I convey that in a way that helps them understand the gameworld and encourages them to find another idea that is?

If your thought process is "ugh" and to want to toss a snarky remark and close the request, step down from staff. Yesterday.

The game is also far too siloed; players are judged poorly for wanting to interact, and many policies and documentations that go in place seems to encourage further separation. You have 4 people in a tavern, but one's an elf, one's a gemmed mage, one's a half-elf, and one's a human, and everyone's scared to interact with each other, because it might be bad roleplay, and staff might come down on them for the very human desire to entertain themselves in a roleplaying game. Yes, you can engage in conflict roleplay that remains OOCly fun, but that takes practice. It also takes veteran players to set a good example, but those players are increasingly driven away or become staff and rarely have time to do so. Finally, grimdark all the time without any levity and fun to balance it out makes for a depressing, boring time all around.

I realize all of this is wasted breath; I realize that nothing is likely to fundamentally change. Staff are too fixated on their harsh world, and too unwilling to admit culpability enough to enact real, effective and long-lasting policy and behavior change. Nice-sounding words will be bandied about, things might seem better for a while, but then we go right back to the same-old, same-old.

I've seen this happen over and over again for 20 years and after being force-stored while taking a break to let myself cool down and decide whether this game was still worth it, I can't see at all how you're going to repair all that repeatedly broken trust. It's no wonder to me that staff is focused on bringing in new blood instead, except those players aren't going to stick without solid veterans to draw them in.

Back to my own issues, and the reason why I and my husband aren't playing.

In a last-ditch effort to salvage matters, my husband sent in a request with his own concerns, carefully and diplomatically written, with a clear path toward resolution, should staff have taken him up on it. Instead, it was rebutted, and clear that entire swathes of the request were ignored; why that is, I can speculate, but that does nobody any good. All I know is the end result was both of us force-stored and two long-time veterans, who are without a doubt solid roleplayers who are good at catching, carrying, and creating plots, have stopped playing. ("Oh, it's not force storage, you're welcome to ask for them back" -- except we did not ask for or want our characters stored, ergo, that is the definition of force storage. Claiming it was not force storage is a great example of weasel words to justify bad behavior.)

I can think of at least two other veterans who had similar experiences and offered equal or greater value to the game, who also left.

Until staff takes a hard look at their own house and cleans it out of abusive, cynical behavior, and until behavior shifts toward enabling and collaborating rather than policing, nothing will get better long-term, and the game will continue to stagnate and suffer.

It's a shame. I do genuinely hope to see the game recover. I hold no malice toward the game or even toward the staff; even the one who was so abusive toward me clearly needs help IRL and hopefully will, someday, receive it, and take accountability for their behavior.

For a while, I thought that at least I could provide entertainment for other players and try not to engage with staff, but that kept proving to be a fool's hope, and it came to a point where I felt irresponsible if I kept trying to draw other players into the game's current culture.

I've told many stories that I will cherish, but considering all of the above, I won't be back unless things actually get better.

In the meantime I'll be channeling my creativity in other ways, and I won't be holding my breath.

This was truly a gut punch to read, as it greatly resonated with my own experience with the game and with Staff. Particularly the part about apologies and honesty being weaponized against me...Ouch. Brutal and true.

I'll continue to watch from afar and see how the game steers and course corrects. But this wasn't good optics.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Please don't lock the thread. No one is forcing you to read it or participate. Silencing dissenting opinions does more harm than good. There's an old quote by someone I can't remember that talks about not agreeing with someone but defending to the death their right to say their peace, and I think that's in order here. Let people speak their minds, if they are writing out harmful stuff, moderation is in order, but so far I haven't seen anything harmful, derogatory, transphobic, xenophobic, homophobic or anything of that nature. People are giving feedback in this thread and I still have unanswered questions which I can patiently wait for if the thread gets locked those questions will be moot.

Quote from: Shabago on October 23, 2022, 08:58:56 PM

If there are more specific asks to be had here, have at it. I don't intend to lock the thread. Some questions just may not have a ready answer, or be something we can't fully answer, but I (we) will do our best.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: Iiyola on October 24, 2022, 05:06:19 PM
Quote from: Barsook on October 24, 2022, 05:05:45 PM

Putting your head in the sand and trying to sweep unpleasantness under the rug gets us nowhere. Staff want a frank discussion about why people may and may not log in, and they are getting it. I appreciate the fact that they have kept this thread open, allowing uncomfortable answers to what is an uncomfortable question.

Understood. I'm sorry for my rude(ish) post.
Fredd-

It's alright, I understand the anxiety.

While I'm here I just want to also point out: A lot of the core gameplay elements of Arm are based on racist tropes that have no place in modern storytelling.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Barsook on October 24, 2022, 06:25:47 PM
Understood. I'm sorry for my rude(ish) post.
Not rude at all. I understand where youre coming from.

Quote from: Is Friday on October 24, 2022, 06:53:37 PM
While I'm here I just want to also point out: A lot of the core gameplay elements of Arm are based on racist tropes that have no place in modern storytelling.

So is GoT in its entirety. I enjoy the style and theme that Armageddon has.

If the reason why Arm is losing players is that its theme has become too offending to players of 2022, then the game really should shut down. I mean they stopped showing 'The Office'.

I personally do not think this is the reason though.

Quote from: Delirium on October 24, 2022, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: Patuk on October 24, 2022, 01:59:12 PM
If you get sexually abused, come forward, and are told you're a liar before getting banned, you have been done a favor. You are no longer part of a community that will treat you so poorly.

To wit, I was startled, disappointed in the thoroughness of which everything was deleted and the public silence with which my ban was dealt until it was made public-- but the ban itself was irrelevant. Or if it was relevant, it was only in that it reinforced my desire to disengage.

That says enough, I think, and this the final post I will make here, as I see that my original post is archived elsewhere. There's no point in going through all the effort of re-writing it and laboring over how to phrase things "just so" -- I've done that enough already, to no effect.

I do regret some of the phrasing, such as the mental health comment- I meant to indicate that while I do not get along with them, I hold them no malice and hope that they self-reflect and improve. Simply put, it is unhealthy for me to be exposed to them (and possibly for them to be exposed to me, since we have such an irreconcilable difference). Would I recommend they remain in a position of authority (i.e. higher than storyteller) in the game? No. Did I demand they be fired or similar? No. I simply did not want them in a position to wield power over me any longer, and judging by the responses I got, and on reflection, the only way that was going to happen was for me to leave the game.

Staff whom I had thought were understanding and fair attacked me and my integrity in that staff member's defense.

It was and is now even clearer based on various responses both public and private that no matter how I present matters, I will be painted in the wrong. Impartial mediation of a messy situation is more difficult than dismissing it, wiping the table clean, and trying to start over.

So, I did all of us a favor, and disengaged entirely from the game.

If I were in the mood to be tongue in cheek, I'd post that meme from Half-Baked, but I imagine it'd get taken too seriously and folks would get riled, so I'll just say: I enjoyed playing with many of you. It's a shame that it came to this, and I think it was Wizturbo or Malken that said something along the lines of: while I don't play, I remember the game fondly, and I observe it from afar, hoping for improvement.

I've become a pessimist in that regard, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

So long, and thanks for all the stories. Delirium out.

I personally understand, although your decision saddens me.  I liken this situation to dentistry.  They pole and prode and when they touch an area that elicits a jerky response, they start to work on it and treat it.

The twitch happened.  banned. Shit talk. Unban. Apology. Shit talk.   okay ... Lets not stop.  Lets continue.  Lets keep exploring areas that hurt.  Ultimately, the vast majority of us are 30+ years old.  Most of us encountered situations where we do not get what we want.  Most of us have dealt with people and arrived to some kind of agreement that allowed people to coexist together.  Most of us learned to overcome personal tantrums. 

Lets do this. Lets keep exploration.  Not until people who already made their decisions have their decisions reaffirmed and retreat into the left corner, while those with opposite decisions reaffirmed theirs and they return to their own corner. Net result: Nothing but hurt feelings.

Please. Lets keep probing until no misunderstanding remains.  No hidden resentment remains either validated, or dissuaded.

I implore every one to not recede, but continue explaining your view. So we either arrive to everyone's happiness, or a final perishing.

Bebop has an issue and she chose not pursue it when I probed her ... A year ago? She did it for the benefit of the game.  Thats nice, evidently the Issue is still there - poisoning the well. 

Clearly not engaging is not helping things anymore.  Leaving issues alone only leaves them to rot and infect.

I implore you Delirium to not disengage, but double down. On detail, on argument, on example.  Otherwise this is all pointless. 

October 24, 2022, 07:58:57 PM #293 Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:02:50 PM by CirclelessBard
Quote from: Dar on October 24, 2022, 07:21:41 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on October 24, 2022, 06:53:37 PM

So is GoT in its entirety. I enjoy the style and theme that Armageddon has.

If the reason why Arm is losing players is that its theme has become too offending to players of 2022, then the game really should shut down. I mean they stopped showing 'The Office'.

I personally do not think this is the reason though.

It may not be a big reason why Armageddon is losing players, but it could certainly be a reason why players are going to more modern MU*s instead of Arm when looking for a new MUD to roleplay in. Given that one of the upshots to this thread has been potentially establishing a new player/advertising committee I think Is Friday's point is very pertinent.

Edit to add: Regarding your reply to Delirium, it's not her duty or responsibility to stick around for the sake of the game's improvement. She has clearly stated it is unhealthy for her, and that's that. We should respect that.
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer

Dar, I think it's pretty clear what Delirium requested:

"As a player, can I avoid interacting with this staff member."

Which has been commented upon here:
Quote from: Halaster on October 21, 2022, 06:16:56 PM
My thoughts on this specific point:

Quote5.  When personality conflicts can't be resolved beetween a staff member and a player, allow players to choose not to interact with a staffer (and vice versa if that is not already a policy).

It is unfeasible to have someone who staffs over a specific area not resolve requests or interact with a specific player just because those two don't get along.  I get where you're coming from, and that would be nice if it's something we could accommodate, but it's just not practical.  There are actually times when we attempt to do this, but only if it's reasonably possible without undue burden on staff.  For example, a player was in a clan when I asked a Storyteller if they'd staff this clan.  The Storyteller said they'd rather not while that person is there, so they didn't.  In that scenario it made sense because the player was already there, and we had alternatives to staff that clan.  But we will not make it a policy that a staffer won't interact with or answer requests if a specific player asks.

and also replied here a year ago when Is Friday asked the same question:
Quote from: Brokkr on November 13, 2021, 10:29:34 PM
Is Friday, unfortunately, that does not match with our staffing model, where clans are assigned on a Storyteller by Storyteller basis, under an Admin responsible for the region.  A Storyteller is meant to handle everything in their assigned clans, unless being backed up due to an absence.  This allows them to stay abreast of what is happening and coordinate plots for that group.  Same with Admins.  We do not have the capacity to support a system where a player can opt out of the normal means of oversight.

You know the variety of ways a staff member can interact with the players:
* room echos
* inhabiting an npc
* responding to requests
* loading items
* changing room descriptions and room flags
* responding to wishes

How can Delirium double-down on this argument when two Producers of the game have said it is unfeasible in the current staff structure to accomplish this?  She has put in a request about this, was denied, and then decided she couldn't continue interacting with this community for their own mental health.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Modern roleplaying structures are more transparent and don't allow for abuses to be done in private as they are here. I think that is the greatest concern of anyone returning who has been wronged in the past.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Can we have another thread like this one https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,55748.0.html where Shabs and rest of the staff can post in so it doesn't muddle this one? It really helped before and maybe have a link to this thread?
Fredd-

Quote from: Is Friday on October 24, 2022, 08:15:57 PM
Modern roleplaying structures are more transparent and don't allow for abuses to be done in private as they are here. I think that is the greatest concern of anyone returning who has been wronged in the past.

One of the things I have noticed recently, and I hope it will become policy, is that staff have started replying to my wishes with a signature.   I greatly enjoy this change, and wish it was encoded somehow in the game, rather than manually done by the staff.  I feel it helps to be more transparent with the communication to the players.

Example:
>wish all I seem to be stuck in my apartment after the game crashed, and I do not have my key.  Can someone please let me out?  Thansk!

>

>

Someone sends:
   "Unlocked!  You're free! - shabago"

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 24, 2022, 08:45:36 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on October 24, 2022, 08:15:57 PM

One of the things I have noticed recently, and I hope it will become policy, is that staff have started replying to my wishes with a signature.   I greatly enjoy this change, and wish it was encoded somehow in the game, rather than manually done by the staff.  I feel it helps to be more transparent with the communication to the players.

Example:
>wish all I seem to be stuck in my apartment after the game crashed, and I do not have my key.  Can someone please let me out?  Thansk!

>

>

Someone sends:
   "Unlocked!  You're free! - shabago"

Not to beat a drum here but... if Shabago were visible, you'd just get 'Shabago sends', and there would be no need to add a signature. Literally the only reason you can't see who is sending these is because of the policy of logging in as wizinvis by default.

Nessalin used to log in visible just so he could ban people who wished up to him.

These are our roots.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.