Increase the sdesc limit from 35 to 40 characters

Started by mansa, July 29, 2022, 08:32:39 PM

Should we increase the sdesc limit from 35 characters to 40?

Yes
32 (74.4%)
No
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: August 28, 2022, 08:32:39 PM

July 29, 2022, 08:32:39 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:00:49 AM by mansa
After some clarification about using the word "teen" in your character's short description (it is no longer allowed), I suggest that we increase the short description character limit from 35 characters to 40 characters.   This should allow more people to use 'young y' or 'young x' in place of 'teen'

This poll will run for 30 days.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 29, 2022, 08:44:20 PM #1 Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:51:46 PM by huntsforblood
Counter: get rid of sdescs completely and make everyone "the (older/younger if applicable) (appearing gender) (race)" unless you interact with them enough to just remember their name, based on wisdom.

Or increase to 40 yeah.

Counterpoint, for the sake of argument: forget "young" and just use man/woman/[race]. All PCs are adults.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Let's increase text limit on emotes/speech whilst we're at it.
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

My memory might be fuzzy, but isn't there a hardcoded limit to how long lines can be overall? If you extend the allowed characters for sdescs, that shortens the allowed length for emotes and such. That's what I seem to remember being said before.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on July 29, 2022, 09:40:45 PM
Counterpoint, for the sake of argument: forget "young" and just use man/woman/[race]. All PCs are adults.

This, personally.

Quote from: Tranquil on July 29, 2022, 09:42:10 PM

God no.  Please.  I don't want to have to read a book when I mistakenly start watching you people get it on.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

It'd be good especially for half giants, who sacrifice an additional 8 characters compared to elves

I like to roleplay sort of detailed like so it really sucks to have to limit myself with this. I support this message.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on July 29, 2022, 11:15:31 PM

God no.  Please.  I don't want to have to read a book when I mistakenly start watching you people get it on.
Perhaps you could code a system where if someone consistently has really long emotes the game tells them to shut the fuck up and refuses to allow them to keep subjecting other players to a three sentence description of how they glance down at the floor or something.

Quote from: huntsforblood on July 29, 2022, 08:44:20 PM
Counter: get rid of sdescs completely and make everyone "the (older/younger if applicable) (appearing gender) (race)" unless you interact with them enough to just remember their name, based on wisdom.

Or increase to 40 yeah.

Yes!
-Stoa

Quote from: Shalooonsh on July 29, 2022, 11:15:31 PM
Quote from: Brytta Léofa on July 29, 2022, 09:40:45 PM

This, personally.

This please.
21sters Unite!

Voting has ended with 32 people voting to increase the sdesc limit and 11 people voting to keep it the same.

That's roughly a 75/25 split to add the few extra characters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one