Give everyone apprentice climb

Started by MeTekillot, July 03, 2022, 02:36:44 PM

simply for the sake of clambering out of holes and whatnot. it wasn't significantly affect the advantage that high agility and high climbed classes have when it comes to navigation, either

If you read the thread here:
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58111.0.html

You will notice that the proposal for all the new classes include apprentice climb.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The more I look at the proposed classes, the more torn on them I am.

Everyone gets the basic skills to a low but useful level, dsense, skinning and climb.

But I dislike change, so my brain dislikes the proposal unfairly.

current guilds could simply be updated and then players who care can ask to have the skills added as a one time big amount of staff work

Novice...at best.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

There is a base chance to climb, if you don't have the skill.

Any level of novice would give you very close to what you already have.

Quote from: Brokkr on July 04, 2022, 12:08:49 AM
There is a base chance to climb, if you don't have the skill.

Any level of novice would give you very close to what you already have.
It would also allow them to benefit from climbing equipment

Climbing with climbing equipment gives bonuses even if you don't have the skill.

It is similar to sunslits and direction sense.  These two pieces of equipment have extra code that will give the bonus, even if you don't have the base skill.  They are the only two pieces of equipment that give skill check bonuses without the basic knowledge of the skill.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 04, 2022, 03:31:10 AM #10 Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 03:35:04 AM by ShaiHulud
Quote from: mansa on July 04, 2022, 12:45:30 AM
Climbing with climbing equipment gives bonuses even if you don't have the skill.

It is similar to sunslits and direction sense.  These two pieces of equipment have extra code that will give the bonus, even if you don't have the base skill.  They are the only two pieces of equipment that give skill check bonuses without the basic knowledge of the skill.
Perhaps explain that better. From what I understand, skill aligned equipment that you wear will not give bonus if you don't have the skill. Hand held/equipped items will...please correct me if wrong.

edit, I don't think I helped explain that any better, for myself or anyone else...
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: ShaiHulud on July 04, 2022, 03:31:10 AM
Quote from: mansa on July 04, 2022, 12:45:30 AM

Perhaps explain that better. From what I understand, skill aligned equipment that you wear will not give bonus if you don't have the skill. Hand held/equipped items will...please correct me if wrong.

edit, I don't think I helped explain that any better, for myself or anyone else...

I believe Brokkr himself confirmed that if an item provides a bonus to a skill, but the skill is not on your character sheet, it provides no bonus at all.
So a climbing spike will not help you climb any better, unless you have the skill on your list.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I did look over that.  There are two exceptions that I am aware of.

The first is sunslits.  Without the skill direction sense, wearing sunslits should give you direction sense from a code perspective roughly equivalent to what you would have with Journeyman level skill and no sunslits.

The second is climbing, which is a bit more complex.  Everyone gets either a base chance or their skill level.  If you don't have a skill level, you get some of the bonus for wearing +climb skill items.  If you have a "climbing" item equipped (I think just in EP ES ETWO but not 100% sure) you get a bonus for having a climbing item equipped.  +climb skill for people with climb just goes into the climb skill.  It is one of the more complicated things to understand, as it is handling the check depending on whether you have the climb skill or not differently, and applying different bonuses for +climb skill to those two different ways, and then on top of that there is a bonus if a "climbing" tool type is equipped. 

All of that is part of the reason I just put in a low level climb skill on every guild in the proposal, as it would sort of standardize it all.

July 07, 2022, 01:44:09 PM #13 Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:47:57 PM by Delirium
What I would like is if climb was handled like ride and pilot. You pop it by trying to use it if you aren't given it by your sub/class, and your cap (in apprentice/jman range) is based off your stats and a bit of random chance.

Same with skinning.

Just give everyone every skill capped at the very first level of apprentice. But you can only improve your class/subclass skills.

Quote from: cali on July 07, 2022, 02:48:53 PM
Just give everyone every skill capped at the very first level of apprentice. But you can only improve your class/subclass skills.

Gather (apprentice)   :P

No but seriously, some climb skill would be nice, but it also can create a need to get other PCs to help.

Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Or give everybody every skill, and cap it at 5%, and have the skills command only display skills if they are 6% or greater.

Climb already functions like you have a (novice) skill level.  If it didn't, you wouldn't even be able to try to climb.