Steel Talon Role Call: Non Leader Megathread

Started by Jihelu, November 14, 2021, 02:05:21 PM

How do you feel about this sort of thing?

I think it's neat but personally I thought the suggestion from the playerbase was less 'Let me app in privates' (Which was something I assumed we already could do), and more 'I'd like to play a chef in the Arm, or a quartermaster'. The post didn't seem to be 'Want to play a non Sergeant non traditional role?' and more of what I could do by just apping in or joining normally.

Post is right here for your convenience.

"If you get the role, we will give you some vNPCs and a little background to flesh out with before you jump in game."
I'd like to point out I basically got less from my staffer when I was a noble than this, so I'm glad they get it.

If you check the in-game boards, your complaints are basically nullified, bro.
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 14, 2021, 02:07:35 PM
If you check the in-game boards, your complaints are basically nullified, bro.

Not everyone lives in Nak you stinky, but I'm glad to hear it.

I think it's good. I hope it's a sort of ongoing sort of thing akin to Arabet, Al'seik, Tan Muark, Two Moons, or Sun Runners where people can app directly into the clan and then do stuff. I don't think a skillup period will be super awful for them because I heard they have sparring npcs or someshit.

Non-leader rolecalls should be far more common, so this is great.

Being able to role-app into clans at a private equivalent rank even without a role-call should be also allowed. I think it'd encourage alot more clan play. I know that personally I would play in more military clans if I didn't have to endure that IRL month of training being a recruit/runner/whatever. It's fun for the first few times, but when you've done it alot, it's not very enjoyable.
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

Quote from: Tranquil on November 14, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
Non-leader rolecalls should be far more common, so this is great.

Being able to role-app into clans at a private equivalent rank even without a role-call should be also allowed.

I don't disagree, but part of the whole recruitment period is also making sure of "fit" in the unit. If you app in straight as a private but act in ways that as a recruit would have gotten you booted out on your ass, then that's a problem. It's a problem I've anticipated, discussed with staff, and hopefully addressed in a way that means continuing the story rather than having to execute people outright, but it is still something worth considering. Leaders usually have enough on their plate without Joe Schmoe transfer from Unit 23 splashing in to cause them an exponential amount of drama.

Having it be a role call allows for at least some screening to ensure that their concept fits with the current unit.

I think I implied it in my post, or I didn't I can't be bothered to check, but I believe people have rolecall app'd in (Without a staff post, just using the request tool) privates/troopers/etc before.

Staff could probably answer this better than I can.

November 14, 2021, 05:03:30 PM #7 Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:07:19 PM by Barsook
Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 14, 2021, 03:02:25 PM
Having it be a role call allows for at least some screening to ensure that their concept fits with the current unit.

If not for this, I would be on the fence of allowing people to by-pass the recruit phase. Although, and I think this more of a question to staff, is anyone really asking though the request tool if there are spots in the non-tribal clans and non-Allanaki Bastard for such roles, leader and non-leader? Again, I think I only seen it twice before and I was the brave soul of of those times. If that's the case, could that be advertised better?

ETA: I really think I didn't make sense there, sorry!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Finally, I can roll up my secret sorcerer soldier!

I hope one day we'll be able to do stuff like app directly into the Byn as a runner.

I wanted to try this since there was a steer from the playerbase in the Game Feedback about being able to roll characters at this sort of level, straight into clans and get going and that can fit quite nicely with what clans need.

However, we still have and always have had the special app system... which is also there for this kind of thing. If you want to try app'ing a Private into a Militia clan.. or a quartermaster.. or maybe a chef or a Trooper into the Byn or really whatever you can think of.. it doesn't hurt to put these ideas to staff and see whether they will work. Most players use spec apps for things like magickers out of their karma range, but that isn't necessarily what they are for. We do get some really awesome spec apps for mundane character builds but just with out of the ordinary backgrounds or starts in life.

I really don't see using a spec app as a role app to just have a established character within the clan. Sure, you do need some skill bumps but I think that can be worked out through that role call in chargen, in game. I think rethinking, renaming, or creating a new category for these such roles, that by-pass the recruit rank (leader and non-leader alike), might be a good call.

Just my two sids.
Fredd-

I would never use one of two yearly spec apps to skip an ig year so I can have a fancy patch.

I'm gonna say it: it's just "a fancy patch" to you then you should definitely be going through the recruit phase anyway.

Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 14, 2021, 08:29:13 PM
I'm gonna say it: it's just "a fancy patch" to you then you should definitely be going through the recruit phase anyway.
How many boring ass years do I need before I can call it more than a fancy patch I'd like to know.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 14, 2021, 07:52:53 PM
I would never use one of two yearly spec apps to skip an ig year so I can have a fancy patch.

If you read the advert, you do a role application.

There are no restrictions on role applications in the request tool.  You can literally do more than one every day.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Jihelu on November 14, 2021, 08:43:07 PM
Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 14, 2021, 08:29:13 PM
How many boring ass years do I need before I can call it more than a fancy patch I'd like to know.

One IG month to 1 IG year, depending on how quickly you pick up on what being a soldier is actually all about.

If the role doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit you. That's fine. Don't play one. Play to your own strengths and enjoyments.

Quote from: mansa on November 14, 2021, 09:00:27 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on November 14, 2021, 07:52:53 PM

If you read the advert, you do a role application.

There are no restrictions on role applications in the request tool.  You can literally do more than one every day.
Please read the post above mine and Barsook's where a staffer suggests using special applications for the thing we are discussing, thank you.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 14, 2021, 02:05:21 PM
How do you feel about this sort of thing?

I think it's neat but personally I thought the suggestion from the playerbase was less 'Let me app in privates' (Which was something I assumed we already could do), and more 'I'd like to play a chef in the Arm, or a quartermaster'. The post didn't seem to be 'Want to play a non Sergeant non traditional role?' and more of what I could do by just apping in or joining normally.

Kind of nitpicking, here. I mean, if you're apping in a private, you're probably welcome to add in or request something along those lines as you apply in.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

November 15, 2021, 12:58:15 AM #19 Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 01:00:26 AM by Brytta Léofa
Sounds fun. I would totally do this if I didn't have a thing.

I wonder how well this would scale to being more or less an always-available route for most clans.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on November 15, 2021, 12:58:15 AM
Sounds fun. I would totally do this if I didn't have a thing.

I wonder how well this would scale to being more or less an always-available route for most clans.

More this.

1 Karma.

You can app in a Private, in the Legions or the Arm of the Dragon.

You can app in a Crafter or a <equivilent> in a GMH.

You can app in a <whatever the fuck is fun to play but takes 5 weeks to make fun>
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Agreed. Give more use for the Karma system due to the possible trust in anything past a recruit rank. Although, Karma isn't needed for the human tribals or the bastards.

Not sure if karma is really needed.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on November 15, 2021, 05:48:37 AM
Agreed. Give more use for the Karma system due to the possible trust in anything past a recruit rank. Although, Karma isn't needed for the human tribals or the bastards.

Not sure if karma is really needed.

In AoD? Clearly you have never had the kick command used on you during a whipping scene, causing a ten guard pileup.

There absolutely needs to be some kind of scrutiny for AoD/Legion before they are given full rank and privileges. It's a role that has a lot of coded responsibility. That is a major reason why the recruit phase is so important, or at least being screened by staff via a role application. Being able to simply app in is a bad, bad idea, because the havoc I've seen even 2-karma players wreak is nothing compared to an irresponsible player with the full power of the crime code behind them. That isn't even getting into the point I made earlier, regarding fit and overall behavior in the unit.

Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 15, 2021, 09:09:41 AM
There absolutely needs to be some kind of scrutiny for AoD/Legion before they are given full rank and privileges. It's a role that has a lot of coded responsibility. That is a major reason why the recruit phase is so important, or at least being screened by staff via a role application. Being able to simply app in is a bad, bad idea, because the havoc I've seen even 2-karma players wreak is nothing compared to an irresponsible player with the full power of the crime code behind them. That isn't even getting into the point I made earlier, regarding fit and overall behavior in the unit.

As the southern admin, I 100% agree with this thought.  Some clans would be fine to app straight in as a private-equivalent rank, but not the AoD (or Tuluki Sun Legions).  The idea if app'ing in directly as a runner in the Byn is really cool, or a hunter in a GMH.  But I assume the discussion is about an automated way to do it, which is not something we'd want for militias.  Thus the rolecall Usiku has posted (that you should totally read the whole thing and don't be like me and stop after the first half of the first sentence and think it's for a sergeant).
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev