Focus point pool - Discussion Thread

Started by mansa, September 23, 2021, 11:27:38 AM

September 24, 2021, 04:57:38 PM #25 Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:01:13 PM by lostinspace
Quote from: Patuk on September 24, 2021, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on September 24, 2021, 03:17:31 PM
Hitting 0 focus sounds horrible. If this works primarily as point pool for psionic abilities does it really need such a harsh disadvantage? Does it last as long as the knockout from hitting 0 stun?

Will mages have a similar disadvantage added for when their point pool spent on mage abilities hits 0?

It's.. Literally the same as hitting 0 stun is. If nothing else, it's more lenient - you can still see and hear, and hitting 0 is going to happen less, because you won't just have the one pool now.

I get where you're all coming from but this measure will literally make an old problem better, so I think it's just gonna be good.

I see 3 differences that stand out that make this less like hitting 0 stun.

1: There's no known cure, but there are working cures for both being knocked out and paralyze poison. If smelling salts still worked, I'd agree and call it a wash.

2: They might be separate pools, but one is based on endurance and the other on wisdom. A character with AI endurance and poor wisdom might be using psionics with a pool significantly smaller than the stun pool they had before.

3: You get to keep listening and hearing, and presumably there's no obvious sign you've befuddled yourself. This is a bonus over just dropping in the middle of a room.

Question for devs on this: Will it be apparent someone has mind broke themselves or will it be indiscernible from going AFK?
3/21/16 Never Forget

I hope we get a 'So and so looks spaced out' or some kind of descriptor if you look at someone with 0 focus.

Please, please, please let us emote while perained or stunned from zeroed out focus. It is jarring to not be able to set the scene at all. If we can be trusted not to do ninja backflips and pretend to turn into blue mantis, I think we can be trusted to add flavor to the scene when our characters are incapacitated.

I want to emote blood trickling from the blowdart wound, face frozen in an expression of surprise. I want to emote how my vacant eyes are rolled halfway up in my head and I've got a nosebleed. Something, anything.

Not being able to emote goes contrary to trusting us to RP a situation, and forces us to just sit there, bored spectators.

Quote from: lostinspace on September 24, 2021, 04:57:38 PM
Question for devs on this: Will it be apparent someone has mind broke themselves or will it be indiscernible from going AFK?

Yep, it will be apparent.  It will have its own special ldesc and message to the room when it happens.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Yeah, I do not like this part AT ALL.

Might as well just leave it out and leave it with stun. Same thing cept only one thing to screw you over instead of two.

But, least My PCs will not need to use the way anymore. So I guess there is an upside.

Boss, "Why did you not way me?"
My Pc, "Sorry...too risky."
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Will certain spice or food increase focus?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on September 24, 2021, 07:55:51 PM
not yet

Quote from: Halaster on September 24, 2021, 08:11:01 PM
Quote from: Veselka on September 24, 2021, 07:55:51 PM
not yet

Well, if it is wisdom based, the wisdom boosting spice would by increasing wisdom.

Quote- reduced the timer to something random less than 10 minutes
- added the ability to emote while dumbstruck

Thanks for listening to the feedback!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

My only issue is how is this supposed to be played out.

We go from being able to help people who knocked themselves waying to now ... Having no clue to help.

So this seems to indicate that psionics are not changing in the world? It's not a retcon of how things used to work because if it was we'd probably have been living for ages knowing if there was a way to help these people?
21sters Unite!

It is a bit odd.
We've gone from actual scenarios of 'Oh they passed out from waying' *Hits them with the smelling salts*
To "Oh yeah, they are waystuck. We have no way of helping them and never have"

September 25, 2021, 02:29:58 PM #36 Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:36:16 PM by X-D
Unless staff says otherwise. I will be playing as already retconned....My PC has never used the way.

(edit)

And let me make this clear. The first statement of the change I was good with, as I posted. But the punishment of WORSE then passing out...I am not.

Hey, you want to put some kind of random mind punishment in....I am good with that as long as it does not cause my PC to become a NPC with nosave combat on. hit 0 and random roll of Babble or no waying for the next 2 hours or really really drunk for a rl hour or skell. Hey, fine. But this, to me, is another situation of staff not asking themselves. Are we actually adding to the game.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'm curious to know how this will effect certain spells in game as well as other abilities. I assume these were taken into account?

It really seems to me that elves will come out on top on this one haha.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

im just bummed that i wont be able to lull someone into a psi convo so i can expel them for that sweet mundane sap boost jutsu :c

Though there's probably a lot that I'm missing, but I'm not all that mad at having to be more careful with The Way.

Quote from: X-D on September 25, 2021, 02:29:58 PM
Unless staff says otherwise. I will be playing as already retconned....My PC has never used the way.

(edit)

And let me make this clear. The first statement of the change I was good with, as I posted. But the punishment of WORSE then passing out...I am not.

Hey, you want to put some kind of random mind punishment in....I am good with that as long as it does not cause my PC to become a NPC with nosave combat on. hit 0 and random roll of Babble or no waying for the next 2 hours or really really drunk for a rl hour or skell. Hey, fine. But this, to me, is another situation of staff not asking themselves. Are we actually adding to the game.

How is it worse then passing out for 15 minutes? Did I miss something?

September 25, 2021, 04:17:04 PM #40 Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 04:22:07 PM by X-D
smelling salts

I mean, that should be enough of an answer but I will add anyway.

Knock yourself out....now, if you are playing a low end elf it might be 15 min...but normally I find it to be 5-10.
But that is not what we are talking of. If you KO...you become a rock. But if there are friends around, or even just helpful people you can be brought out. Now we are talking the same as KO, same time as KO, BUT, no way to bring you out....So yes, it is worse.
Lizzie:

We really don't want to have to try and retcon the fact smelling salts have always worked to revive someone out from overuse of the Way.  So they will help revive people who are dumbstruck.

Quote from: X-D on September 25, 2021, 04:17:04 PM
smelling salts

I mean, that should be enough of an answer but I will add anyway.

Knock yourself out....now, if you are playing a low end elf it might be 15 min...but normally I find it to be 5-10.
But that is not what we are talking of. If you KO...you become a rock. But if there are friends around, or even just helpful people you can be brought out. Now we are talking the same as KO, same time as KO, BUT, no way to bring you out....So yes, it is worse.

Oke, ye.

That's the bit I must've missed.

If the smelling salts in-game are anything at all similar to cranking a bottle of nose torkā„¢ (which i kinda assume they are given their use) I can't really imagine anything short of magick preventing at least some form of arousal from its use.

Quote from: Halaster on September 25, 2021, 04:39:32 PM
We really don't want to have to try and retcon the fact smelling salts have always worked to revive someone out from overuse of the Way.  So they will help revive people who are dumbstruck.

oke cool

The knockout timer from all sources is exactly 10 minutes, idk where you people keep pulling an hour from. The only methods I know of that can make it longer is being so drunk it keeps you down, and a certain stun draining poison.

I think we just need to give this new system a go, before we go full "I'll never use the Way again".

While I was writing Halaster disproved another complaint, it's almost like he understands.

September 25, 2021, 05:08:37 PM #44 Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:08:14 PM by Barsook
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

While I'm not a huge fan of this currently as it just seems like an over complication and just one more thing to watch h? I'm just going have to see how this plays out and maybe it'll be easier than my current assumptions.

I do really appreciate that staff are taking the feedback here into consideration for this and have updated the time factor, emoting and smelling salts working for this now.

My curiosity on how it affects some magick aspects and even psionics still holds, but I don't expect an open answer on that. I'm also curious on how it may impact current characters and what they've been able to do and suddenly may not be able to. That last part is obviously assumption and more my thoughts towards half giants and maybe dwarves.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

I like the focus pool idea because it makes me think someone in staff is going to eventually make psionics more common than a single 3 karma spec app only class.

I'm probably wrong, but I have dreams.

Quote from: Halaster on September 25, 2021, 04:39:32 PM

This solves my one issue. And honestly if smelling salts didn't work I'd just want to have some idea of how I'm supposed to play this change.
21sters Unite!

I want dumbstruck add +100 to defense while status is activ e. 

had to try.

I still think this change should be basically fine. If nothing else, it should make it easier for non-HG to remain conscious. Why so many seem worried about the contrary, I'm not even sure.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.