Remove "nail" "woodsplint" and other objects

Started by mansa, August 11, 2021, 08:40:41 PM

August 11, 2021, 08:40:41 PM Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 08:55:13 PM by mansa
Hey,

When crafting objects, I think there should be a change in the dynamic of making these objects, and we should eliminate any finishing nail, stake, and woodsplit type objects.
Players should be able to virtually have nails, woodsplits, screws, bits of string, and any other piece of fluff that may be around in their workbench/toolbox.

Example from the woodworking helpfile:
>craft plank branch 2.branch into simple agafari chair

You have 2 branch objects, and 1 plank object.
If you had to include a nail in that crafting object, then the number of potential variations of crafting those materials increases by a crazy factor.  This makes finding existing recipes impossible EXCEPT if you happened to be the original crafter.

I would like to have all crafting recipes that include those nail/screw/string objects to be changed and removed, and to have those nail objects removed from the game.

For example:
If you had 4 distinct objects, the number of variations that you can have to craft, with a craft being 1 object or 5 objects that can include duplicates, is 244.

For rocks, that can be:
blocky chunk of stone
head-sized chunk of stone
hand-sized chunk of stone
shard of stone

Now, multiply that by different TYPES of stones, and that 240 becomes greater than a million variations very quickly.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I support this. Most of the crafts that I find that that one of these obscure items, seems to have been done in a way to obfuscate its creation and corner a market (they usually have artificially high prices in comparison to similar objects as well).

This is actually a disservice, because I think it results in lots of lost items that will never been in the game again if that person dies and no item persists to be analyzed.

You can always analyze an object you want to make.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: williamson on August 11, 2021, 09:33:34 PM
You can always analyze an object you want to make.

You're looking at it from the end game point of view.

What if:

>analyze chair
This is made from:
* polished wood seat
* oil-dripped with linen seat back
* rat-fur
* a finishing nail
* a finishing nail

And "oil-dripped with linen seat back" and "polished wood seat" are "midway" objects.

And to make a "polished wood seat" you need a wooden plan, a finishing nail, and rotten belshun fruit.
And to make a "oil-dripped with linen seat back" you need a piece of yellow linen cloth, a cask of cleaning oil, and an agafari branch, and a woodsplint.

Do you see how the problem compounds?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

August 12, 2021, 05:51:31 AM #4 Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 05:58:33 AM by Barsook
Are hinges in this too? I see no point of them too.

By the way, I do agree with Mansa.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I like them because they allow you to craft items uncraftable by a single subguild, or too finniky to be mass produced.

I personally think a huge crafting overhaul is long over due.
21sters Unite!

... I actually want more depth, but I do see the problem. Fine. If that's the case, the toolboxes should be needed for all crafts that have little parts then.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Please make toolboxes bigger. I recently acquired one, and went to put all my tools in it and only got like 5-6 of them, and they were relatively small tools.
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 12, 2021, 05:01:22 PM
... I actually want more depth, but I do see the problem. Fine. If that's the case, the toolboxes should be needed for all crafts that have little parts then.
For years i have wanted to include the tool in the recipe, rather than just getting a boost.

Years. Nobody agrees with me.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 12, 2021, 05:01:22 PM

I'd like to see more in depth crafting but usually with less fiddly items like a piece of string. I've seen some items which some of the items don't even seem to be a part of the craft they are just added to make it obscure. And other times stuff included in the description that are actual items that aren't needed to be included.

Mostly I'd like things to have intermediary crafting. You don't just take some branches and some planks and make a table. I think various table legs and table tops would be more interesting. And this would perhaps also slow down crafting a 'little' bit as well. As right now making some big fancy item is just, "boop" it's done. Like we are in Star Trek or something.
21sters Unite!

My pc clan idea is "we make the hinges for all Kadian chests". Drop ship to all Kadian outlets and upcoming contract crafters.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

good idea, to maintain complexity for those that enjoy it, different types of planks or poles can be introduced / msatercrafted