playing times (im doomd)

Started by d00d, November 06, 2003, 02:29:17 AM

Im annoyed because im in the byn and there no one around, and if I leave ill get lost.

I live in nz and thats 12+ gtm so theres no one around when I play, and the byn sucks all I do is walk around and its really pissing me off
I would like to play a lone character but I cant do that unless I get some training.

When are peak times?

You get lost wondering outside te byn? Shame, well learn your way around and make your self a little map on note pad.

If you're from New Zealand, peak times are probably going to be very early in the morning for you. The HRPT this weekend was scheduled, I hear, for 6AM monday morning, New Zeland time. Since it started at 1:00 PM on Sunday for us, you're at +17 hours...which means that if you logged on at noon or 1 in the afternoon, you might make peak hours (7:00 or 8:00 in the evening) - scheduled the day before.

I think.

Really, the person to ask might be someone who lives in Australia, of which, there are a few. I know Savak logs in from over there, as do several other players.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

But I gotta go to school at like 6 till 3 so I never make peak hours un less its on saterday, I want to play a lone char but I can if im a weak idiot.
 have wandered the dunes for days to come here and now you tell me you dont have a steel katana?

So basicly I might as well not play armagedon because I never see anyone around.
 have wandered the dunes for days to come here and now you tell me you dont have a steel katana?

It is frustrating when there aren't other players to interact with, I agree.  One thing you can do is stick with the IC routine.  If you're patient, other players will come around.

I've seen a lot of newer players log in for sparring, and then disappear when it's time for other duties.  When I played my first character in the Byn, I was all about the sparring.  However, I stayed around for the other stuff, and before long my character was making friends left and right.  Those role play opportunities suddenly became more important to me than getting a 'buff' character.  That was when I really got hooked on Arm.

As for the peak times - it's hard to say.  I would guess that just about any time that people in North America are normally awake is a good time. (I play anywhere from 5pm -1am PST generally during the week.)

Cheers

There are other people from outside US countries that play. And there is also the weekends.

But on your same reasoning you may as well not play many MUDs at all, as most seem to cater to a US, Canada, even European audience.

While the exact amount of players from outside these regions may vary, I can't say I've ever seen a mud with over 20 people in the wee hours of my morning, which would be prime time for you.

Your best bet is to stick with it. There was a thread awhile back on the OOC chatter that was a sorta post-up for those playing in the off-hours, to see just how many there was and when they'd play... as a way to coordinate with those that could play.

Maybe start one up again.

I agree that you probably shouldn't give up, simply because you can't find anyone. For starters, I know for a fact that there are, indeed, players (in the Byn), who log in during what you be your 'peak' hours. There are also many other players who play during those hours.

Four in the afternoon, your time, is still about midnight here. Theres usually plenty of people around during those times, still. Keep looking.
Tlaloc
Legend

Well. If I remember right, John who lives some where in Australia is about 19 hours ahead of myself.

I'd guess if you log in between 10AM John's Aussie time to about 7PM same time you should be able to find a decent amount of people as thats they times I ussually play and find a fairly decent number of people. Lately between 30-60 around that time. And I'm pretty sure New Zealand if thats they time your from is an hour or two after John's Aussie time.

Maybe I'm wrong. But thats time froms 3PM-12PM Pacific Standard Time. PST? I think thats what it's called. Either way the west coast of the US. It shouldn't be TOO hard to find people that are online.

If your having problems might try emails your clan in, Tlaloc above I beleive, if you think it's strictly clan related. If your having troubles getting around Allanak or just need general help I'd email/message someone from Helpers. Someone with Allanak as their expertise would probably be preferable although I'm sure all of them know some basics to help you out.

Hope that helps.
21sters Unite!

Hi there,

I'm also from NZ and know how frustrating it can be to try and be around at a decent time.  Luckily summer months bring us two hours closer to peak time.  The HRPT started at 8am for us NZers (6am was for those Aussies, Tlaloc!!)

If you want to be around when the bulk of the players are I suggest you log on anytime from 10am to 8pm at night and you'll find plenty of 'action'.  

- Lirael -
Passion.... makes us brutal and sanguinary" -- Broome.

Thanks for proving I'm basically right, Lirs. Really, it's great to see confirmation of my genious.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

*looks stunned* I what?  Damn, can I take it back???

- Lirael -
Passion.... makes us brutal and sanguinary" -- Broome.

Quote from: "Lirs"The HRPT started at 8am for us NZers (6am was for those Aussies, Tlaloc!!)
Thankyou! Don't dare say I'm one of those filthy *thinks* easterners  :evil:

Just be thankful you weren't playing a year and a half ago like I was desert wanderer guy. Back then the "on-peak" time was a lot less and went from 10AM - 1PM (GMT+10). But yeah, the on-peak time is when your at school, but thankfully in off-peak time it's not uncommon to see 30+ players :) Which use to be how much there were on on-peak time  :roll:

Yeah, it can get painful. I don't know how I'm going to be able to keep up with all the fun stuff especially once I start joining the workforce. Playing just on weekends can be entertaining for some, but I've grown used to a more committed longer hours of playing time.

The only longterm alternative I can see is that those of us in the Oceania region should start actively recruiting for new players on our timezone. The problem with that is probably a chicken and egg thing ... new people who join up randomly are scared away by the fact that their always alone with hardly anybody to interact with ...

Which will probably force us to band together and recruit OOCly (which I think is frowned apon?) to form a new highly-coordinated organization that can take over Zalanthas! ... at least until all the new people get used to Armageddon and then we can break off on our seperate ways again.

Hmmm... old thread, but I just cant resist.  8)

I'm middle european and most of the action really starts after I go sleep. At my peak times there's usually less than 10 people on, but if I really cant find a victim, I rp doing chores or training, change ldesc and browse the web until someone shows up. I'm glad I started in Allanak, makes things quite a bit easier.

On the other hand, sometimes I make people stay up till early in their mornings (my early afternoon) when they nearly collapse, I do feel a tiny bit guilty about it. (Being female helps) :P

As for the Byn, I find it extremely hard to run into any sarges when I need them, and finding sparring partners that dont kick me out of the ring within 5 seconds... oh well. I'm addicted, so there is always a way. In the worst case I log off for an hour or two and come back later.

Wouldn't it be amazing, if Armageddon grew to gain more players all across the world?  Then again, there's a lot of 'western' ideals that people live out, in Zalanthas.  If only it could be more of a 'global' game...

Imaging logging out when 130 people are online, and not thinking much about it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Akaramu"

I'm middle european and most of the action really starts after I go sleep. At my peak times there's usually less than 10 people on, but if I really cant find a victim, I rp doing chores or training, change ldesc and browse the web until someone shows up. I'm glad I started in Allanak, makes things quite a bit easier.

I understand that you mean! Same prob. I hope there will enough Players worldwide someday. But to be honest, I play every time....  :?
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

For those in the original poster's position, I suggest that you advertise your playing times on the OOC board. You will find other folks who happen to be in the same boat as you. I have logged onto Armageddon one time in 4 years when I was the only person online. Therefore, you should be able to have RP available at any time, given that you can RP in the first place decently, or that those other folk have the time to teach you, if you are a newbie.

When posting concerning playtimes, simply advertise yourself, not your character. Something along the lines of, "Hi. My name is Will John Riker. I live in <insert country name here> and am seeking players who play during the same times. PM me for further info," would likely be appropriate.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What 7DV said, and don't forget to try and get your friends to play.

I'd love to get up at 4AM here and log into mud and see 30 people on.
Most times it's around 7-10 people, and good luck finding them...sigh.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Good idea! Have seen it on a clan board.

But why not go a step further?

But you playing times into the profile! Just in interests or as signature. So you could always update it without spamming the board!
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

WELL COME ON PEOPLE! i CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE SIGNING UP FOR RANDOM boards ADVERTISING FOR NO REWARD! :)

I am like up to the 20th unheard of board :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Um, that's not looked upon very well.  How would you like it if 100 people came here every week spamming advertisements for other games or for random products like low-rate mortgages or penis-size enchancers?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quotegenious.

Genius.

Unless you're Northlander in disguise.  And even then, he'd be wrong too.

Genius, genius.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Heh. One of my friends cant make an account and no one has an idea why.... he's frustrated outta his mind.

I have done quite some advertising for Arm, but mainly on AIM, and on the Achaea OOC discussion board.

What kind of account, Akaramu?  GDB or mud?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

mud account... He cant manage to get a confirmation email for some reason. Changing mailbox settings didnt work. I think he even tried different email adresses. He's sorta upset because he really, really wants to try Arm.

That seems to happen to some people.   At least for me, what was happening was that my email was filtering the automated reply as spam.   In my case, fixing it was just finding the reply in my bulk email folder, and then clicking on the button to say that it's not really spam.   (That was with Yahoo!, but a similar fix would work for other types of email).

Has your friend emailed the mud directly (mud@ginka.armageddon.org) to explain what's going on?   If he can't get the email problem resolved, I'd try that next.    (And hopefully "normal" email from them won't get filtered out too.)
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House