Started by witchman, November 04, 2003, 08:43:02 AM

Do we need Who?

Need It
58 (65.9%)
Useless
30 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: November 09, 2003, 08:43:02 AM

It shows the number of visible people in the known world who may or may not be nearby.

It might show an immortal who forgot to set wizinvis.

Of what other use is it?

I vote to trash it.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

I actually think once people get used to it not being around, they'll like it (not being around).
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

There's only one thing that I -really- miss with the who command shut off.

And that's knowing if there's SOMEONE around. Anyone, I don't even care who, or where they are.

I log on early in the morning weekdays, and it's just comforting to know that there are other players there somewhere.

It makes me feel a lot less like a solo-gamer in an abandoned game. And yes, I've played at times where I'm the only one there. I just hate thinking that it's impossible that the mean nasty magicker might be watching me with his mean nasty magicks, or that I'm not being stalked...

But hell if I'm the only one in the game, chances are I'll logoff and do something more constructive for an hour, like wash a dish or put clothes in that big white box in the basement and press that button that makes water come out.

It just helps me plan my morning, so I'd vote for keeping the who command.

Well lately I haven't seen a time when I've been the only player around.  And trust me, I've played at all times of the day.

So how would it really help?  Granted if there's more players on, there's a better chance of someone being in your area - but is that seriously going to affect your gameplay?

The only reason I like who at all is it's been neat to see track the growth of the game.  Other than that I don't particularly like it.. everyone knows when peak hours are anyway.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Obviously, the command is there for immortal use.  The fact that players can gauge how active the world is remains a nice boon;  I'm with CindyLou.

The bonus of clan pinging, though largely phased away, provides additional support.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

QuoteObviously, the command is there for immortal use. The fact that players can gauge how active the world is remains a nice boon; I'm with CindyLou.

The bonus of clan pinging, though largely phased away, provides additional support.

Yup.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Where as, I agree that the who command doesn't really do much for us, RP wise, but.... I still kind of like it. I won't be devastated if it is junked, but I just kinda like typing it and seeing how many other people are just as sucked into the game as I am. I voted KEEP the WHO! :)
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

I reckon after this week most people will be of the opinion "eh, who cares if it comes back"

If it is obviously there for immortal use, then it should be made an immortal command.

In fact I think the command could be contributing to what I call the 'threshold effect'.  How does the 'who' command contribute to the 'threshold effect'?  Well, by doing exactly what it does for Bestatte.  Bestatte types 'who' and realizing not many players are on, logs off.

Let's say the 'who' command was taken out.  Bestatte, not being able to gauge OOCly how many people are on, might decide to stay - Bestatte can't really know that other players aren't actually in the game, busy elsewhere, who may come to interact with Bestatte's character later.  If there aren't actually a lot of players in the game (or no others), well now Bestatte is in the game.. and if the next person logs on and finds Bestatte, then maybe they'd stay when they might also otherwise log off upon typing 'who' and finding few or no other players on.. and so on and so forth.

The opposite side of the coin is that Bestatte, upon logging in and look around finding nobody, types 'who' and finds out OOCly that there actually are a significant amount of players on, so decides to stay despite nobody being in the immediate area (that Bestatte's character can see/hear/mudsex).  But again, like I said - people generally know when peak periods of play are.

My point: not having 'who' might get people who would otherwise log off when nobody is in their immediate area to stick around.  This is completely besides the point that it's OOC information, of course.  I know somebody's going to argue the other way, but honestly tell me this:  if increased probability of interaction is keeping you online, would you really log off if you couldn't gauge that possibility?
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Quote from: "Bestatte"I just hate thinking that it's impossible that the mean nasty magicker might be watching me with his mean nasty magicks, or that I'm not being stalked...

As for the OOC part of it, doesn't Bestatte's statement there bring up warning bells at all?

Wouldn't it be nice Bestatte, if you were always wondering if the mean nasty magicker might be watching you?  Because you just didn't know OOCly, which would translate directly into your character not knowing ICly (which would enhance your game experience and prevent OOC taintage?).
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

I agree with the logic used in Wintermute's post, but I thought I'd just sayto
Quote from: "Wintermute"This is completely besides the point that [the who command is] OOC information, of course.
people logging in/off is completely OOC, as these people would virtually be around anyway.

Good point about the who command is let's say newbie X logs in at Red Storm. Sees no-one around figured the mud is dead. They can find out otherwise through the who command, so they stay instead of leaving. That's a good thing about Who.

Then again, I agree that it contributes to people logging off in off-peak time. If no-ones around they're more likely to idle somewhere then log off if they don't have the who command. But seeing how many people are logged in can be heartening and lift up people's spirits. I know I'm loving the increased amount of players. But without who I'd likely not realise.

So if who gets taken out, I think something should be added to the Weekly Update to say "the highest number of people logged in this week was X"

My character never knows ICly if she's being watched or stalked, unless the watcher or stalker lets her know, or if she's otherwise warned.

MY knowing has no bearing on HER knowing. My knowing is for my knowledge. So I know whether or not this is a good time to run to the store and buy groceries for the house, or if there's a chance I might get involved in something.

It's for my OOC convenience, not for my character's convenience.

I also should point out, that you've taken what I said and twisted it. Nowhere did I say that I DO log out when there's no other players around. I was very careful, as I always try to be, to be specific in my wording.

Knowing if no-one's around gives me, the player, the opportunity to decide IF it's okay to logout and do something else. This doesn't mean I will log out. It just means that I now can make the decision.

I also do the opposite sometimes. If I type who, and see a shitload of people around, and was planning on doing some "quiet-time" RP, I will know to be prepared for either an onslaught of business in my brain, or that I should log off until I'm better able to handle the possible crowd.

Sometimes I just wanna RP solo, get some things done without being bothered. If there are 70 people logged in, I usually toss that lovely idea right out the window and accept that it ain't gonna happen.

I, the player, need to be capable of handling data input in my brain. If I'm not in a mindset to handle it, it will reflect - very badly, in my RP "performance." Knowing how many players are logged in gives me at least some indication of the kind of data input I might run into.

While I doubt that I would be affected in playing by the 'who' command, I must note that it is interesting to be able simply 'see' that there are 170 characters in game. That is just so fucking awesome.

Veterans will not be affected greatly with the removal of the 'who' command. New players, however, will certianly be affected. They need to know that there are other players in the world. They have to know. No one wants to play in a dead world.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I certainly hope they bring it back.  My login times are almost exclusively prior to peek hours, its comforting to know how many people are on.

HANDS OFF OF MY WHO

You don't 'need' a car, but it's nice to have.

You don't 'need' Drovians or Elkrans because hardly anyone plays them, but it's nice to have.

You don't 'need' more than two or three colors of kanks, but it's nice to have.

You don't 'need' areas like the Silt Sea, Mantis Valley, and a few other places being built and worked on, but it's nice to have.

You don't 'need' to have the same creature but having several varieties of NPCs with different sdescs, but it's nice to have.

You don't 'need' the who command, but it's sure as hell nice to have.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I think it is essential to keep in.  Why?  When a newbie logs on and doesn't see anyone, the who command is the only thing that will tell them that there are other people there.  It doesn't really matter too much to me, but it matters to a new player who wants to be in an active MUD.  

I honestly think removing the who command would result in the loss of MANY new players who might have otherwise stuck around.  I think it is absolutely essential that the command is put back in.

Uh... If you read a post by Zhaira I think it is. It has already been fixed. It'll be back in next reboot.

The commands aren't just turned on and off. You have to take it out of the code, then put it back in most the time. Requiring a recompile as well as a reboot running the new program.

In the least, it still required rebooting the program so whatever changes take place. Next crash, next saturday or when someone that has the power to do so reboots it... It'll be fixed.

Be patient people.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Hhhmmm, I could be wrong creeper, but I think the point of this poll is to see if people think it is really needed, Myself, I knew it would be back after a reboot and took the poll as asking what people thought since we got a taste of the game without it for the first time.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't see a problem with the Who command.  Yes, it gives OOC information that may sometimes affect your decision to stay on or log off for a while.  But since logging on and off is OOC behavior, then OOC information is being used to affect OOC actions, and that seems kosher to me.  Sometimes when I've stayed up way to late playing I'll type who and see that there are only 4 other people on, and realize that I've stayed up too late and should log off and get some sleep.

There is potentially a small influence on IC behavior as well, but it is pretty trivial.  
    Ficticious example:  You might see that there are only 4 other people on, calculate that the chance of a PC gith being on is really small, so decide that this would be a good time to check out the gith mesa.
You could do this, but it would be dumb, because all the NPC gith would still be there, and they'd be extra hungry because no PCs have wandered by lately.  If you were the sort of person who would try it, you'd probably try it even without the who command because realistically at 3 am you know there aren't many people around, even if you don't know exactly how few.

In my opinion it is harmless, and fun.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Without the 'who' command I wouldn't know when good playing times are... and then I'd play -all- the time and never get any work done.  :shock:

QuoteI think it is absolutely essential that the command is put back in.

I was responding to that, thank you.
21sters Unite!

I don't care either way.  My apathy toward having a who command has no bounds.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I actually don't really care either, I couldn't sleep and was bored out of my skull.

:twisted:
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Lets face it, who does more harm than good.  If you see few people on you're more likely to log off without even giving finding people a chance.  I frankly think this has shown that we really don't need it and should leave it gone.  I got used to not havig it pretty quick and now I'm happy to see it not working, I truely hope the staff leave it disabled.

Real Armageddon players don't need a who command, its ooc and uber lame!
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]