Ranger sanctuary

Started by Thanos, November 03, 2003, 07:34:40 PM

*bump*

I'm curious as to whether the imms have had a chance to code the ability to sneak while remaining hidden yet? It sounded like it was under consideration back in December...

You mean remaining hidden while sneaking, Xerin?  You can sneak while hidden already...but moving breaks hide.  That's the problem.  The suggestion was to remain hidden with a succesful sneak.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes, I'm talking about the ability to remain hidden while sneaking. Is it still under consideration?

So your saying right now,  if I am hidden, then sneak east and then enter no commands, and someone moves into the room with me, I'm in a totally visible state?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Yes, unless the imms have made the change. It sounded like Xygax was seriously considering it back in December.

Did anyone use the sneak skill in any other H&S MUDs? No? Probably not. Because it simply does nothing. PK is not allowed in most of those MUDs, and AFAIK in Diku and Envy base sneak is useless against NPCs.
Here in Arm I don't remember any of my chars succesfully using sneak against aggro or auto-flee mobs. No pickpockets, no assassins, no rangers. Ehrm.. I guess once the rats in 'rinth weren't spamming looking. Long ago I had a pickpocket who was subduing rats easily to play jokes, to let them go onto other city-people. But no other mobs.
The change may be twinked for sure. We're clever. We'll find a way to twink. But; everything is twinkable in Arm. Anything about code's twinkable. No escape. There's not even one command which can't be twinked I may think of.
change ldesc: You've ever seen people in dormitories who are "sitting here."? Some are not. Try telling something to them. I'm already against stealing in dormitories except thieves but, typing "sleep;change ldesc is sitting here."?? But we can't remove change ldesc, because I may sleep snoring, I may lie dazed, I may be in fetal position or my body may be stretched.
forage: I need to explain?
craft: I need to explain?
talk (mob talk): I accidentally twinked with my current char. I was joking to an elf which had the talk command implemented from time to time, but in nearly 9 days of playing time, those jokes and the talk response in Allundean (which you RP'ed that only something you don't understand) may teach you allundean basics, at least the skill's seen. I guess I could be fluent in any language except Cavilish in only one day, knowing which mob talks in which language. You're an elf? Go talk to every stranger in town, to ones even who wouldn't talk to you, go to a shop at night/before down and try to sell something while it's closed 500 times. Bingo!
guard: Another player told me as a fantasy but it's possible. Two PC's sparring, guard the exit. They can't flee, so they can't stop. Kill the wounded one.
backstab, steal, plant, palm, sneak: You'll be accused anyway, you twink or not. But they're real easy to twink.
value, analyze: Heh piece of cake...
ride: mount, charge to your friend. Do it 1000 times.. Real good exercise.
climb: There are places where failing doesn't cost you hp and stun.
haggle: Again very easy to twink.

Eh I'm tired.. You see, nearly everything's twinkable. So please let it be tweaked, then I'll play the ranger with more joy.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"
guard: Another player told me as a fantasy but it's possible. Two PC's sparring, guard the exit. They can't flee, so they can't stop. Kill the wounded one.

That would only work on stupid/panicked people.  You can't stop fighting, but you can start fighting someone else instead.  Both sparers attack the one guarding the exit, draw their real the weapons, and share the loot.

And you CAN flee past a guard, it depends on their guard skill and your flee skill.  You must be running or sneaking to get past a guard, fleeing is running.

Sorry to ruin that fantasy for you.  :wink:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I dont know if you tried but, I have sneaked past an aggro critter.

Andon my way back, I was attacked.  So I think I failed to sneak in the second try.  So it might mean that it is implemented.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Waitstate... Thanks God aggros have a wait state when they enter your room. Once a scrab has waited for a very long time, about 20-30 secs before deciding to attack me. IC I wasn't aware of it, so it was boring waiting, having the first emote of the surprise battle typed, waiting to hit enter. I guess for some random time they wait before they attack.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I think rather than have your character remain hidden while sneaking, instead what should happen is to make sneaking have the same effect on NPCs as it currently does on PCs.  Right now if I sneak into a room and hide most PC aren't going to notice me.  If I sneak two room past someone they aren't going to notice me.

I would propose makking sneak such that when you sneak, you are hidden for say like 5 seconds hen you arrive in the next room.  As long as you keep moving, and you continue to pass your sneak roll, you remain hidden.  (this would be unrelated to your hide skill)  Now when you get to where you want to stop, your going to have to hide.  I think this would address both the problem with sneak being ineffective against NPCs, and prevent the hide and sneak twink effect, since your not dependant on the hide skill, and therefore not improving it.

Now I suppose if someone wanted to be hidden and wanted to depend on the sneak skill instead they could just move back and forth between two rooms, but 1) your going to fail eventually so its not going to be that effective, and 2) Your going to run out of movement pts eventually, and 3)  Your going to have to stop to "do" anything so what is the point?
Vettrock

Good idea, but apparently NPCs spam look or some such.  Not sure if it would work by the code.  The sneak vs. NPCs thing is a big matter though, it prevents some realistic hunting tactics and also just makes wilderness survival (for the trained hunter) that much harder.

I think the coders know all this, its just somewhere on the drawing board.

I've watched people do it in game.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

What I am saying is for 5 seconds (or maybe less) after you arrive in a room, you have the same effect as if you are hidden, ie are not detectable without scan.  Wether the NPC spams look or not it wouldn't make a difference if it was coded this way.
Vettrock