exclusive emote

Started by Cuttlefish, October 27, 2003, 04:07:09 PM

Again, pardon me if this has been brought up before.  I do always try searching for these things but you can imagine how many hits I get with "emote"...

Why not have an exclusive emote?  By this, I mean everyone but the target can see the emote.  Useful for doing things behind a PC's back that you want everyone else in the room to see you doing.  Call it "xemote" or something.  Just use the same syntax as emote with the target being excluded from seeing the output.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1692

I still like this idea, though, and wish it would be implemented.  It's kind of like whisper, but with actions instead of words.

Good idea.

A small addition: I suggest that the targeted person may have a chance to see what were you trying to do. That skill check can be done with the targeted person's wisdom check.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Koala - You took the words right out of my mouth.  I meant to post something in the original but forgot.  I thought they would especially be more likely if they were scanning.

Of course, this would require more meaty code changes that the much more simple addition of a xemote command that is coded almost identical to emote.  As such, I would consider it less important.  If the xemoter thought it would help the RP for the target to actually see the emote, they could just do a regular emote expressing that they're doing something behind the other chars back.

Would you also say the reverse would be useful?
Only you and the target see the emote?
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Actually, yeah that would be a good idea - sometimes.  The problem would be that it would make things a bit boring in a tavern if people were mostly using "private" emotes.  I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere when you can see everything going on.

On the other hand, the xemote would only exclude one person, including everyone else in the room.  So you wouldn't really cut down on everyone else's fun very much.

Oh man the reverse would be SO useful! I can see it now:

Place: Busy tavern.
Who: A bunch of NPCs with their usual lazy-ass ldescs doing the same shit over and over again, a noble, his concubine, and a bunch of guards standing around picking their noses.

You walk in:

Under an intimate table in the corner, Lord Shitforbrainz does something to the perky-titted big-hipped woman.

Giggling coyly and wiggling in her seat at an intimate table in the corner, you overhear the perky-titted big-hipped woman say, in sirihish, "Oh Lord Shitforbrainz, not here, the peasants will see you!"

His thick unibrow raised comically above his beady yellow eyes at an intimate table in the corner, you overheard Lord Shitforbrainz say, in sirihish, "Hm. You have a point. I'll have to arrange to start charging the patrons from now on."

Under an intimate table in the corner, the perky-titted big-hipped woman does something to Lord Shitforbrains.

Lord Shitfobrains shifts uncomfortably in his seat, a wry grin curling up on his thin chapped lips.

Yeah, I'd kind of like to see something like this. Sometimes you need to kick someone's foot underneath a table and whatever. It's a bit too obvious when everyone and their mother can see it.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

i do it anyways.

emote Underneith the table, @ does this
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one