Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

happy happy happy , joy joy joy joy
Just having fun.

Quote from: brokkkrr
With the changes to analyze, will no longer be supporting mastercraft recipes in Player Clan (this is a specific clan used at certain stages of the player clan process).  Since everyone in that clan can now analyze and craft such recipes and the output doesn't tell them it is locked into that generic clan.

That's a big RIP. Is it possible to label them by clan like they are labeled by skill?

How was this handled if you stumbled upon a "craft x y z" that happened to be from a different player clan?
21sters Unite!

I think it just reinforces something a little extra. Making a 'new kind of special spoon' won't do you much good, as a custom craft, because people may be able to discover how to make it easily.

HOWEVER, if your player clan always has a sigil (some crafted amethyst thing or whatever), it might take a little longer to discover. If you want your craft to be a 'secret', you'll have to actually develop a whole new technique, or a tool designed specifically for it.

That said... please craft actual pots to piss in for tanning/leatherworking.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Excellent work with everything here lately, y'all.

December 13, 2022, 06:52:20 PM #1504 Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:56:06 PM by BadSkeelz
For Analyze, would it be possible to add in a filtering command similar to "Forage stone for obsidian" to parse out (or parse for) particular results? Analyzing some particular items can produce a lot of results.

Really dig it otherwise, that spam can have some interesting things in there.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 13, 2022, 06:52:20 PM
For Analyze, would it be possible to add in a filtering command similar to "Forage stone for obsidian" to parse out (or parse for) particular results? Analyzing some particular items can produce a lot of results.

Pleeeeeeeeeese.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 13, 2022, 06:52:20 PM

Really dig it otherwise, that spam can have some interesting things in there.

Particular things I'd want to see is filtering by skill or result keyword.

> analyze stone skill stonecrafting
> analyze stone result mortar

Last one being using multiple items to see what can be crafted with those two things. This might be best just moving the crafting analyzer to a different command, honestly I think it'd fit better being part of craft.

> craft stone
You could craft a pair of stone dice.
you could craft a small hammer combined with a stick.

> craft bone stone
You could craft a nose ring.
you could craft a blah combined with x, y z.

How it could look combined with the other ideas.
> craft piece.bone skill cooking
> craft piece.bone results dice
> craft branch stone skill club making
21sters Unite!

Quote- Tavern flag finished.  Any room you see that says "Tavern" will do the following:
       - Throwing/shooting into a tavern suffers a severe penalty to success.  If you're IN the tavern, there is no penalty
       - Improved Language Learning - double the speed, and twice as likely to 'pop' a new language
       - Taverns treat crimcode as if a soldier is there - meaning if you fail something, your are guaranteed to get flagged as a criminal
       - Using the PSI command only consumes 2 focus

Awesause! Thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Nice!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'd add backstab / sap to the list too. As someone who lost a few characters to tavern backstabbings, it is pretty lame that assaulters can get away from that easily. If you want to whack someone in a tavern, just wait till they leave to the quiet street or alley for the sake of some RP.

Quote from: najdorf on February 19, 2023, 11:37:59 AM
I'd add backstab / sap to the list too. As someone who lost a few characters to tavern backstabbings, it is pretty lame that assaulters can get away from that easily. If you want to whack someone in a tavern, just wait till they leave to the quiet street or alley for the sake of some RP.

You can still throw weapons and be successful if you're in the same room as someone.  It's the "I'm going to shoot someone in a tavern while I am on the roof / street outside of it" scenario that was adjusted.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Great changes recently, you can tell they are reading and absorbing the worries of the players.  Lots of this came from the what would entice you thread.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: najdorf on February 19, 2023, 11:37:59 AM

It is JUST as RP to whack someone in a bar as it is on the street. More mobsters have been whacked in restaurants than on sidewalks.

And if I want to gank someone, being flagged crim ain't going to stop me from doing so. It's still quite easy to get away.

I actually don't like the auto crime flagged if you fail.

Most the bars seems to be described as pretty busy with a lot going on.

Even if someone catches you with your hand in their pocket, by the time a soldier could get around there is a chance you could be out of there.

But honestly I'd like to see something done with the crime code. It's far to binary right now, and kind of oppressive in my mind.

And I don't even play thieves.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on February 19, 2023, 06:30:49 PM
I actually don't like the auto crime flagged if you fail.

Most the bars seems to be described as pretty busy with a lot going on.

Even if someone catches you with your hand in their pocket, by the time a soldier could get around there is a chance you could be out of there.

But honestly I'd like to see something done with the crime code. It's far to binary right now, and kind of oppressive in my mind.

And I don't even play thieves.

The frequent complaint from the playerbase is:
"A thief constantly tries to pickpocket me and fail, again and again, and yet I cannot catch them in the act."

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I wonder if the Ample Goblet was marked as a tavern

Quote from: mansa on February 19, 2023, 08:54:58 PM
"A thief constantly tries to pickpocket me and fail, again and again, and yet I cannot catch them in the act."

I know the complaint. The solution I don't think is "we need more crimcode."

Thieves and other ill to do characters codedly and OOCily already just get crapped on, because of how I think in general stealth works and is just too insane.

I'd rather something like, "the more someone pick pockets the same person the more likely they are to not just fail, but critically fail."

Because I'm pretty sure I've had thieves follow me around town stealing out of my backpack. A tavern penalty doesn't stop thieving from being a problem, it just means thieving is less likely to happen in a tavern even though it's probably a great place for it.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on February 20, 2023, 04:26:42 AM
Quote from: mansa on February 19, 2023, 08:54:58 PM

I know the complaint. The solution I don't think is "we need more crimcode."

Thieves and other ill to do characters codedly and OOCily already just get crapped on, because of how I think in general stealth works and is just too insane.

I'd rather something like, "the more someone pick pockets the same person the more likely they are to not just fail, but critically fail."

Because I'm pretty sure I've had thieves follow me around town stealing out of my backpack. A tavern penalty doesn't stop thieving from being a problem, it just means thieving is less likely to happen in a tavern even though it's probably a great place for it.

I generally agree with this sentiment.  Our crim system could use a facelift, but until that happens, I think this is a good solution for taverns.  Until that happens.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

There are three pickpocket fails.

The first one is you can't get the item but they don't notice.

The second one is that they notice but you don't activate crimcode.

The third one is a crit fail that they notice AND activates crimcode.

I would suggest that second and third level fails apply a 5 minute hediff to the character who was being stolen from called "Watchfulness". It essentially would make stealing from that person as difficult as it would be if the thief were being watched directly.

In this manner, I could try to steal from Joe at the bar, fail, and then when he is on the alert I move and start trying to steal from Bob at the other end of the bar.

Quote from: Miradus on February 20, 2023, 01:12:55 PM
In this manner, I could try to steal from Joe at the bar, fail, and then when he is on the alert I move and start trying to steal from Bob at the other end of the bar.

I think it'd be nice to have awareness sometimes applied to more people. Either the table or the bar, when there are multiple obvious fails. Or perhaps some sort of awareness just applies when you see a thief fail. One of those, I just watched Bob catch someone in his pockets, now I'm more aware.

But in order for someone to try at the other end of the bar, we probably need to make sure there is other ends of the bar to do it at. Like, I could imagine splitting the Gaj up into multiple rooms. Entryway, a room with a several tables, to rooms with a "the bar", and probably some more tables. To convey the size of the tavern. Then you actually COULD have a thief, "work the crowd" in a more realistic way.
21sters Unite!

Instead of auto crim-coding, why not drastically increase the chance that a fail identifies the thief to the mark?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1091099.html#msg1091099
REMOVED the combat damage penalties for low strength characters

This is a huge change.

Quote from: mansa on April 16, 2023, 11:38:43 AM

This is a huge change.

Can a big brain ELI5 this? Low strength variance or strength no longer has meaning there period? (I assume that's not the case but)

Quote from: Aruven on April 16, 2023, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: mansa on April 16, 2023, 11:38:43 AM

This is a huge change.

Can a big brain ELI5 this? Low strength variance or strength no longer has meaning there period? (I assume that's not the case but)

Elves and other low strength characters would have a NEGATIVE modifier to their damage roll.

For example:
With a below average strength elf, you might have a -3 to you damage.

So if you have a dagger, you would do 1d4 -3 damage.  Which means when you hit, you had a 25% chance to do 1 damage.   And if someone had armor in that area, you "bounced" off their armors 100% of the time.