Cafe, More Venues, Stuff like that

Started by a french mans shirt, November 03, 2016, 02:46:14 PM

A café in Allanak. You can buy herbs you can use to make tea, or tea itself, or coffee. There's cheap swill, good stuff and maybe an expensive item. Little round buns or crackers. Room echoes of an elf randomly being kicked out. What do you think?

Ideally I think there would be two cafes. One where elves and witches are allowed, and one where they aren't.

I like the idea of more venues of different types. It is a big city, after all. If I don't want to go to a tavern I don't have a lot of options. Kurac doesn't have a gambling den there somehow, there aren't buildings where humans are squatting and selling pieces of questionable meat (the elf teahouse is very well done, by the way) and there's nowhere for dwarves to meet each other on that first important step down the road to making babies. Granted, that one might have to wait until our playerbase builds up.

More restaurants would be good. The Silver Ginka and the Azure Dragon are high-end; the elven teahouse serves the elves and breeds; maybe something for those of us in between.

An item you can buy in the Arbotoreum is described as a gaspy, a supposedly very common food item in the city. A couple of new everyman restaurants selling their own gaspies whose mdescs decry the other place's gaspies would be hilarious.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Silver Ginka needs a little love more than we need a new tavern.

Also, you can buy tea in the Gaj.

I hate to say but for MOST of that... find out IC.

There are already 4 "bars" in the city when we have maybe 30 people on some nights. Even if you foolishly believe they are all in Allanak, between the clans, hunting, sexing, etc... that's 4 areas for congregation split between 5 PCs.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Granted I've never played in the Atrium, but I've had a number of PCs tell me that the Ginka is not that high end -- for me at least, and I could be wrong, but from what I've seen from other PCs, the Ginka is somewhere at the same level as Red's.  After all, it has half giants drinking tea in there, although the prices are a bit steep (justifiably, since tea is an expensive import).  I also view it as  a kind of refugee (northron) hangout.

But I could be wrong in this.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

the silver ginka is a pretty classy place if you look at what it's selling, but it's upper-middle class. it's for the richer merchants to hang out.

the arboretum is as high class as it gets, because... well... nobles only.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I say we move the Gaj to the other side of the city so it can be closer to the Byn and Merchant Houses.

Then we destroy the Silver Ginka because it doesn't provide much except tacky ambiance and Red's does it better. Someone burn it down.

Then you can have Red's for commoner/noble meets, Arboretum for fancy high class silk sex parties, and the Gaj where everyone collapses after a day of hard hunting, or salt grebbing.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 03, 2016, 02:50:48 PM
I hate to say but for MOST of that... find out IC.

There are already 4 "bars" in the city

More than that, actually.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Hmmm, I had a topic I wanted to bring up similar to this.  Maybe I should write it up.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Quote from: Riev on November 03, 2016, 03:04:13 PM
I say we move the Gaj to the other side of the city so it can be closer to the Byn and Merchant Houses.

This, please. Not for burning down the silver ginka, though.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

I agree that the Gaj needs to be moved or burned down and replace closer to the rinth and Byn, and that the Silver Ginka is a bit too weird.

Totally want a Kuraci gambling den, though. Could have a room that one goes in from the street, and then a room beyond that for mid to high rollers where elves and breeds are not allowed. I imagine the House would be worried enough about sticky fingers to consider this option for their better room. Could sell brandy and one finger food, and kruth cards.

Its always bothered me (but a lot of things do) that the helpfiles say that kruth card games are really common in Allanak, but you can only buy cards from the rinth.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I've wanted to start a new tavern in the Bazaar, but that'd require a lot more work than I'm willing to do. I can think of enough in-character steps, but it'd really depend on whether you can pitch a tent in the bazaar and where you'd get the drinks. I don't think we're allowed to haggle with Vennant anymore.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 03, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
I agree that the Gaj needs to be moved or burned down and replace closer to the rinth and Byn, and that the Silver Ginka is a bit too weird.

Totally want a Kuraci gambling den, though. Could have a room that one goes in from the street, and then a room beyond that for mid to high rollers where elves and breeds are not allowed. I imagine the House would be worried enough about sticky fingers to consider this option for their better room. Could sell brandy and one finger food, and kruth cards.

Its always bothered me (but a lot of things do) that the helpfiles say that kruth card games are really common in Allanak, but you can only buy cards from the rinth.

I've wanted to knock down the southern entrance to the Mantis -- where there is some gambling going on -- thus allowing southsiders and rinthis to mingle and encouraging spice usage (although I'd get rid of the NPC, or up its prices, to keep PC spice pushers in business).  It'd be close to the Byn too, as a bonus, and from the room descriptions it seems like it used to be this way.  Plus you -can- use kick in the Mantis, but, uh.  It'll go awesome.

I wouldn't, however, want to open a more bars than we have -- so if that happens, something else should close.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I've always seen Allanak as having many more virtual streets and businesses, not just the virtual people and apartments. Where our characters can roam is a small portion of a much larger city. Kind of a typical thing in video games, really. The doors that don't open.

The reason I say this is that in that virtual side of the game world, the city evolves however we imagine it does. There's a little pub on the corner that caters to dung sellers and no one else. It gets shut down because it turns out all the booze was stolen and the landlord rents to a cobbler until he gets murdered on his way in to open the shop one morning. Then it falls to squatters for a while, until the owner hires some thugs to collect "rent" and it just stays that way for the time being. Our characters don't interact with that side of the world except when they themselves are virtual, before they are rolled and when we log off. Or when we say so and want to rp it out.

The coded interaction takes place in a handful of the most popular and successful joints that have served their social purpose for over 20 years. The stories happen there, mosty. We don't need the name or the description to change for our stories to happen there. Don't try to fix it.

You can't burn down the Gaj.  It is the heart of Armageddon.

I agree, though I think the easiest way to handle this without changing any shops might be to stick them in the newbie shops area, and think outside that, that the shop south of Red's seems like a fitting place to stick them which would also be very close to a tavern and in a fairly centralized location.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: bardlyone on November 03, 2016, 05:50:55 PM

I agree, though I think the easiest way to handle this without changing any shops might be to stick them in the newbie shops area, and think outside that, that the shop south of Red's seems like a fitting place to stick them which would also be very close to a tavern and in a fairly centralized location.

I'm pretty sure you can already buy them upstairs of Red's.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

The Red's has darts and dice (The lousy kind with pictures, not the useful kind with pips). I don't think they sell cards.

I could've sworn seeing them there in the past. Maybe not.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 03, 2016, 05:47:27 PM
You can't burn down the Gaj.  It is the heart of Armageddon.

If you burnt down the gaj there would be a dozen more virtual dive bars to choose from.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Speaking from experience the Gaj is surprisingly fire retardant.

The Gaj actually benefits from being set on fire.
It cleans it.

Ew. Allanak has a load of bars nobody uses as-is.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I wouldn't mind seeing the two core bars closer together so that mixing the two circles IG is smoother. Shift the Gaj for logistical reasons, or open another vNPC bar on the Plaza across the way to accommodate. Red's, even at peak, seems to be lacking regular patronage.

That, or consolidate to one single bar that can accommodate all tiers of society - different levels/entrances that have some semblance of cross-over. If nobles need something much nicer they can hit the Arboretum or Atrium.

Quote from: Gravity on November 03, 2016, 08:19:58 PMconsolidate to one single bar that can accommodate all tiers of society - different levels/entrances that have some semblance of cross-over. If nobles need something much nicer they can hit the Arboretum or Atrium.

Yes. This.

Quote from: Delirium on November 03, 2016, 08:38:55 PM
Quote from: Gravity on November 03, 2016, 08:19:58 PMconsolidate to one single bar that can accommodate all tiers of society - different levels/entrances that have some semblance of cross-over. If nobles need something much nicer they can hit the Arboretum or Atrium.

Yes. This.

I always liked in Tuluk how (and memory is foggy) but roughly the two main bars (Sanctuary for rich people and the Kadian mid-tier one) were so close that you could step outside (and maybe go one room) and 'see' if the other bar was populated or not.  Also the Kadian bar had two entrances, which was kind of nice, for the whole peeping thing.