Actual conversation with someone who doesn't play Arm... PART TWO.

Started by Asmoth, January 16, 2016, 04:18:46 PM

(She's behind me, watching me type.)

Her: Why isn't everyone sitting at the bar, why is that one guy sitting on the ledge?
Me: He's training listen.

Her: How come that guy from earlier is still sanding outside the bar and hasn't moved?
Me: He's got higher listen than the other guy, so he's standing outside to train his and eavesdrop on the bar.

Her: Why do you have to type Listen every once in a while, can you not hear if you don't type it?
Me: No apparently it's supposed to be when I'm paying attention really hard to things around me.
Her: That seems redundant.
Me: It is, but it's always been that way.

Her: Why is that guy typing all his words like he's drunk.
Me: Some people like to roleplay that they sound like a semi-retarded pirate.
Her: Really?
Me: Not really, but they think adding in apostrophes where they don't belong and leaving letters off words makes them more interesting.

Her: Why do you look in all the directions all the time.
Me: Armageddon OCD, you should see me when I'm outside the city, it's a look direction spamfest.
Her: Why, what does that get you?
Me: Potentially stops me from getting killed by wild animals or other players.
Her: Potentially?
Me: Yeah, because normally if they wanna kill me they do anyways.

Her: How come everyone leaves at Dawn?
Me: Some of them have things to do during the day, and the gates open at dawn and close at dusk.
Her: So if you're stuck outside after dark, do you die?
Me: Not always, but it increases the danger.
Her: So everyone lives in the city?
Me: No, there are some people who hardly ever step foot in the city.
Her: Why?
Me: They are desert elves.
(She just goes OH and nods like she understands any of it, and yes I'm just fucking with her here.)
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

...you have a pretty dismal opinion of other players.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Asmoth on January 16, 2016, 04:18:46 PM
(She's behind me, watching me type.)

Her: Why isn't everyone sitting at the bar, why is that one guy sitting on the ledge?
Me: He's training listen.

Her: How come that guy from earlier is still sanding outside the bar and hasn't moved?
Me: He's got higher listen than the other guy, so he's standing outside to train his and eavesdrop on the bar.

I f'ing loled.

Quote from: Armaddict on January 16, 2016, 04:21:36 PM
I can't be the only one that lovingly refers to that as "The Listening Ledge" can I?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Everything is 100% true. I have in fact whispered to my buddies at the Gaj when I saw there's a sharp sitting on the listening ledge.  ::)
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

wow, no. the ledge is where people who hate people at the bar sit to wait for other like-minded haters to join them. The ones who are ONLY in the gaj to train listen usually stand while hidden in or near that area, duh. Moreover there's a whole shitload of ways to easily train listen..

Quote from: Armaddict on January 16, 2016, 04:21:36 PM

I'll just +1 this
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm a little appalled at the phrase 'train listen'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I feel so naive.  I thought the ledge was for undesirables who would be bullied by people at the bar.

Quote from: Refugee on January 16, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
I feel so naive.  I thought the ledge was for undesirables who would be bullied by people at the bar.

Woowoo, you get kudos for playing a roleplaying game with roleplaying mentality instead of a metagaming one.

Quote from: Armaddict on January 16, 2016, 06:04:54 PM
I'm a little appalled at the phrase 'train listen'.

I know. There are no trains on zalanthas! Besides, everyone knows how much noise they make, it's pretty easy to hear them without even trying to listen.
QuoteYou hear a man's voice from the north say, in sirihish:
     "Fuck that, not the day to be in the Gaj."

Quote from: Refugee on January 16, 2016, 06:10:44 PM

Silly!  The seats away from everyone else are for the metagamers, obviously.  But it's okay if those seats are taken, because the room adjacent to a busy room is just as good for the same sort of RP skill training.

I was mostly poking fun and trolling her for asking me incessant questions like a child.

But if you think that what I've described doesn't happen.  You are a bit gullible.

Yes I'm aware there are other reasons to sit at a different table guys...

That ledge is awesome. Easily the best part of the whole bar. Kudos to anyone who has mudsexed on it.

you should be grateful someone wants to talk to you about your game at all.

Quote from: Harmless on January 16, 2016, 06:30:06 PM
you should be grateful someone wants to talk to you about your game at all.

Yep.
I remember about fifteen years ago being the one asking incessant questions about this unknown game.  Instead of being trolled and being told "That guy is metagamey and this girl is more metagamey, but her skills are better, and this stupid one here, they think their stupid speech is some real good RP for their character" I was told stories about characters and events and tales about far off places in the world.

Just for the record, we are talking about a woman who is a pecker typer, about two words a minute because she doesn't know the layout of a qwerty keyboard.

Same woman who had to write an email to someone and wrote it, then asked me to type it for her, due to her knowing she can't type for shit.

Same woman who told me she doesn't like to read because the movies are always better. (Hence why she's always my date to the movies).

The odds of her becoming a player on this or any other text based game are about as good as me winning the Powerball.

Quote from: Asmoth on January 16, 2016, 06:52:26 PM
Just for the record, we are talking about a woman who is a pecker typer, about two words a minute because she doesn't know the layout of a qwerty keyboard.

Same woman who had to write an email to someone and wrote it, then asked me to type it for her, due to her knowing she can't type for shit.

Same woman who told me she doesn't like to read because the movies are always better. (Hence why she's always my date to the movies).

The odds of her becoming a player on this or any other text based game are about as good as me winning the Powerball.

I was a hunt and pecker before I took up mudding. Now I'm just a pecker. It would seem we have something in common. :P
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I'm a real big pecker. I like to think I've gotten better though.

Why would the ledge be where you train listen? All those people sitting at the bar aren't talking anyway. Better to just sit at the bar with them and idle yourself, and it shouldn't take long to get a fail.

The ledge is also the "filthy gemmers are at the bar, and I'm by myself, so where else am I going to sit?"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 16, 2016, 08:31:16 PM
I'm a real big pecker. I like to think I've gotten better though.

I read this wrong.

And I giggled at the conversation.

I talked to a guy that actually ran a MUD with a high user population in the 90s. He asked me if I was playing on DIKU or some of the other engines. I admitted to him I was playing on DIKU. He laughed and said, "That's old." I said, "Yeah. ABOUT AS OLD AS I AM."

Then he told me he made his programming students make a dungeon, MUD style, in the layout of their school. Legit.

ANYWAY - I thought this was hilarious. You don't have to take it as Asmoth being serious. I mean. C'mon. :P
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Bah, fine, Boog, you win.   :(

It is totally the Listening Ledge.

Sometimes I like to sit there and just glare at people sitting at the bar and think "Must be nice to get bottle service from the bar".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.