Actual conversation with someone who doesn't play Arm... PART TWO.

Started by Asmoth, January 16, 2016, 04:18:46 PM

January 18, 2016, 12:20:11 PM #25 Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:22:33 PM by Quirrilicious
Quote from: Refugee on January 16, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
I feel so naive.  I thought the ledge was for undesirables who would be bullied by people at the bar.

10 years in and I never knew until now that it was referred to as "the listening ledge." I always thought as above or that it's just another place to sit and be antisocial or whatever.

Edit to correct the time. 10? Really? It's been that long?  :o

Quote from: Quirrilicious on January 18, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
Quote from: Refugee on January 16, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
I feel so naive.  I thought the ledge was for undesirables who would be bullied by people at the bar.

10 years in and I never knew until now that it was referred to as "the listening ledge." I always thought as above or that it's just another place to sit and be antisocial or whatever.

Edit to correct the time. 10? Really? It's been that long?  :o

It sneaks up on you, doesn't it?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Her:  Why is that guy wearing his hood up, and a facewrap?
Me: I don't know why, it's redundant.
Her: Does wearing it give you a farther distance to see or something?
Me: It should, but it doesn't, it's just fluff.
Her: Fluff?  Stuff that's there for purely roleplaying means.  Not equipment with an actual use like a sword or a piece of armor.  Unless you count hiding your short description as a use.

Her: Why does it say in an unfamiliar tongue?
Me: Because there is a few different languages in the game and mine only speaks the "first world" one of the game.  Sirihish.
Her: So those guys are from someplace else?
Me: Either that, elves, what we refer to as dirty neckers, or gypsies, what the game refers to as nomads.  There are a few languages that higher sophistication players speak like Tatlum, which is the Highlord language or some shit.  I dunno, I've never learned it.
Her: Can you learn those languages?
Me: Depending on your wisdom stat and how long you sit listening to it, yes, but it takes a damn long time.
Her: So from the Listening Ledge? (She actually remembered that conversation lol)
Me: No, they can just be talking any which way, if they are at your seat or you hear them from the listening ledge, it all has a chance to tick your knowledge up on the language.

Her: Why is that's guys equipment list so long?
Me: Well aside from the armor and containers, the rest is silly shit like bandanas on his ankles.  Some people like to use literally EVERY wear location their player has.
Her: Why?
Me: Got me, I look at the game as more function over fashion, but there are different people who play the game.

Her: Why do you keep suffering from the Way?
Me: I have my psionic barrier up.  It's supposed to make it harder for folks to contact me and stop a mysteriously powerful class of player in the game from fucking with my mind.
Her: So it hurts you?
Me: More of mental exhaustion from keeping the effort of keeping it up.
Her: That's what she said.
Me: You're an idiot.
Her: So why do you have it up if you say supposedly, that makes me think it doesn't work well.
Me: Well, a few years back, they made a code change that made contact, the ability to contact other people's minds, jacked up to master, because too many people were passing out and dying etc because of training the ability.  And it's pretty integral for communication over distance.

So back then, if you trained up barrier good, most people didn't have great contact, so it kept people the fuck outta your head, now everyone is a master and smashes it in one or two tries no matter how good you get it.  So now the only reason I do it is to escape off WHO C which allows higher ranking people in my clan to see I'm online.
Her: Why?
Me: Because I'm a bad employee and they might want me to do something silly or arduous versus me doing my own thing.  So I'm hiding.

Her: So how do they choose who's the boss of these places?
Me: Either staff puts out a notice and everyone tosses in ideas, which they pick and choose or disregard depending on a bunch of factors.  Or you just happen to survive for 2-4 months and they eventually promote you, because most people die fast.
Her: How long has your guy been alive?
Me: Almost four days.
Her: Do your guys normally live a long time.
Me: Nope.
Her: Why not?
Me: I either get bored and go do something stupid or I piss of someone and they murder me.
Her: Oh.  How long is your longest lived?
Me: I think fifteen days played or so.  He was a merchant so he did nothing but build shit for other people, not a dangerous life.

To be continued as she no doubt will ask me a million questions after that.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I feel like this turned from real conversations to veiled complaints disguised as real conversations.

Asmoth is a compulsive liar, narcissist, and possible sociopath, for the uninformed.

I feel like this friend of yours should just be creating an account and playing.  They sound like they really want to, but don't know how to just come out and ask.

For a lot of people, the idea and story behind the game is much more interesting and intriguing when they aren't behind the keyboard.

I find reading books very relaxing and calming but I don't want to write one.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
For a lot of people, the idea and story behind the game is much more interesting and intriguing when they aren't behind the keyboard.

I find reading books very relaxing and calming but I don't want to write one.
True, the only thing I can get her to play is WII Super Smash Bros.

And she's surprisingly not bad, but I've tried to get her to play Xbox One, PS4 and computer games to no avail.

But like I said earlier, she's a horrible typist so she isn't interested in mudding herself.

God knows she's heard me sitting here like... "God damn this guy is slow..." "I'm guessing he's afk?" etc.

But she did tell me she was looking at the forums the other day while she was at work, so who knows, maybe she'll try it one day.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Sounds to ME like she's interested... not only that, but paying careful attention. That many questions, about small details? Definite warning sign she's going to roll up an assassin and hurl a knife at your head from the listening ledge.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Harmless on January 16, 2016, 06:30:06 PM
you should be grateful someone wants to talk to you about your game at all.

Hey man, someone tried talking to me about Arm yesterday after he came over.

First he was asking me if I was having sex with aliens.

then he was asking me if I was having sex with trolls.

and i was like, nah bro... they might be minors anyway.

Quote from: Kronibas on January 24, 2016, 02:38:40 PM

Hey man, someone tried talking to me about Arm yesterday after he came over.

First he was asking me if I was having sex with aliens.

then he was asking me if I was having sex with trolls.

and i was like, nah bro... they might be minors anyway.

Oh, we're bringing up that dead kank again.

I had a conversation with some dudes at AIT about Arm and they thought I was coding something because of how fast I was typing and all the screen scroll. I had to explain it was a game. I might have gotten one or two people into it, too.

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

My RP buddies who I tabletop with regularly ask me to tell them another cool story from the world of Armageddon, my wife has had to listen to plenty.

It's to the point that I think my friends and wife, none of which play armageddon could probably give 9 out of 10 of you a run for your sid on world lore and game knowledge. My wife will regularly pitch in ideas on my characters or suggest something about their mentality I haven't really dove into yet. In the early years though some of the stuff she'd say over my shoulder would crack me up.

Wife looking over shoulder.
Her: OMG, that guy's a dick. You should kill him.
Me: He's a Templar babe, they're pretty much the strongest political figure in the game.
Her: But he's a dick.
Me: They're all dicks, that's what makes them awesome.
Her: So you're ignoring me so this dude can pick on you?
Me: lawl, yeah. Pretty much.
Her: Stop being a bitch and kill him so we can watch this movie.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 16, 2016, 06:19:58 PM
That ledge is awesome. Easily the best part of the whole bar. Kudos to anyone who has mudsexed on it.

Do I still get kudos if I was playing a hunchbacked dwarf and hired the prostitute to service me on the ledge?  Because, yeah, I kinda did that.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Asmoth on January 16, 2016, 04:18:46 PM
Her: Why is that guy typing all his words like he's drunk.
Me: Some people like to roleplay that they sound like a semi-retarded pirate.

I lost it here. LOL
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty