Sleep Code

Started by Asmoth, January 13, 2016, 11:06:59 AM

Currently if you goto sleep with less than X percent of your stamina and type WAKE it will give you something along the lines of, "You're too tired to wake up!"

I have never really liked this aspect of code, because there have even been people who wandered upon my sleeping character in the wild and emoted moving around loudly, but I can't wake up because my stamina hasn't ticked past the no return point.

Do you like it, do you hate it?

I personally find it unrealistic because I've stayed awake for over 48 hours and been woken up by a twig snapping outside my tent. Yet the hardy and rugged people of Zalanthas can't pull themselves from sleep or their teddies unless they have just the right amount of sleep.

Thoughts?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

This is a part of the code I don't mind.

It allows the player to make a weighted decision to sleep at the risk of being utterly defenseless but possibly (faster regen) to get to a safer area sooner.

OR you can rest normally and hope your stamina recovers enough to get you safe before something you can't defend yourself against comes and eats you.

Sleep outside is very much a tactical choice, sleeping besides being 'unaware' needs to come with that disadvantage or people would just sleep for 3 to 5 minute bursts for the faster regen.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on January 13, 2016, 11:21:49 AM
This is a part of the code I don't mind.

It allows the player to make a weighted decision to sleep at the risk of being utterly defenseless but possibly (faster regen) to get to a safer area sooner.

OR you can rest normally and hope your stamina recovers enough to get you safe before something you can't defend yourself against comes and eats you.

Sleep outside is very much a tactical choice, sleeping besides being 'unaware' needs to come with that disadvantage or people would just sleep for 3 to 5 minute bursts for the faster regen.

They can already do that after their stamina isn't in the "danger zone".
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

I think it's fine. 
I'd say if it bothers you so much, don't push your PC to the point where they have to have a deep sleep.

I don't really mind it, but it happens so very rarely that I never remember it's going to happen.  Maybe some sort of warning before you make the choice.

It's very unrealistic, of course.  I've talked to guys who served in Vietnam, who got so exhausted they slept in mud and noise and didn't care anymore if they died, they were so tired.  But they still could be awakened. 

My own experience is much more mundane, but during the last couple of weeks of boot camp we were only getting a couple of hours a sleep at night - They'd keep us up past taps, down on our hands and knees with flashlights and our toothbrushes scrubbing the floors, and have us up hours before reveille doing facing drills in the barracks.  Punishment for failing a barracks inspection and a parade inspection the same week.  We all got sick, we all were stupid and struggling through -everything-.  We fell asleep any time we were allowed to be still, in class or at chow, we really couldn't help it.  (It didn't help our barracks or marching either)  But never was anyone un-wakeable.  I remember one kid who was so groggy you might call it that, but it turned out to be fever.  Lucky kid.  Got bed rest.  I hated that kid, lol.

But it's just a gaming thing.  Spending risk for a benefit, no realism involved.  So it would be ok if a warning was given - "are you sure you want to do this?  You won't be able to wake up until ..."

I heard somewhere (?) an aboriginal "trick" was to drink a bunch of water before you went to sleep, so that your bladder would wake you up.

I feel like the code is fine, but it wouldn't hurt if things other than being attacked could have a chance of waking you up.  The Byn horn blast comes to mind.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

My PCs' stamina regenerates so fast, and I sleep so rarely, that I had no idea that this was actually a feature.

January 13, 2016, 03:26:33 PM #7 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:29:05 PM by RogueGunslinger
You regen almost as fast while resting as you do sleeping so I suggest you don't sleep in the wilds.

However... I think the code is stupid, and any code involved with forcing you to sleep for half a fucking hour is also stupid. Getting knocked out or poisoned and having to stare at nothingness for 15-30 minutes really fucking kills fun and enjoyment with the game. There's no reason it should be that long. Similarly, going to sleep and then being unable to wake for a half-hour because your stamina isn't regening quite fast enough? Incredibly fucking stupid.

It's like; Hey! Let's force you to stop playing the game you're trying to play!

Eh.

I think it's one of those things that separates Arm from a hack'n slash.  Prepare.  Use some forethought.  Think ahead.  Don't go charging off into the desert, start hacking at deposits, then use sleep to try and regen movement faster so you can do more.  Always be respectful of the idea that things are trying to kill you.

Kind of the same way we expect players to not be bright and cheery at half-health, I expect people to not be using sleep as a frivolous regeneration command.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I pretty much only sleep when I have been seriously injured or I want to AFK but still be in game. Character takes a nap, I do something else.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Well, this game is supposed to be harsh.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 13, 2016, 03:26:33 PM
You regen almost as fast while resting as you do sleeping so I suggest you don't sleep in the wilds.

However... I think the code is stupid, and any code involved with forcing you to sleep for half a fucking hour is also stupid. Getting knocked out or poisoned and having to stare at nothingness for 15-30 minutes really fucking kills fun and enjoyment with the game. There's no reason it should be that long. Similarly, going to sleep and then being unable to wake for a half-hour because your stamina isn't regening quite fast enough? Incredibly fucking stupid.

You can use the think command to dream.

Am I the only one sometimes who likes to have dreams about my PC's getting eaten by giant purple jozhals while trying to sleep off the scorpion Venom?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 13, 2016, 03:26:33 PM

If the code didn't force you to sleep to heal in low health situations, I would never touch the command

Quote from: Saellyn on January 13, 2016, 04:44:56 PM
Well, this game is supposed to be harsh.

Supposed to be Icly-harsh, not unrealistic-code-with-very-little-roleplay-benefit-harsh.

And yeah, I use the dream function, but it's kinda clunky.

Wish the 'dream' command was like the feel command:

You dream that you are in a blah, surrounded by blahs.

Rather than:

You dream, "I am in a blah, surrounded by blahs."

While I love the RP opportunities of people being poisoned to sleep or near-exhaustion, I DO admit that it'd also be nice that... if you move them somewhere or plan on doing something with them, you could wake them up. With the exception, maybe, of a magickal sleep? But I guess even then, if you allow magickal sleep to run its course, a poisoned sleep should as well...
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

January 13, 2016, 08:14:10 PM #16 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:24:29 PM by manipura
I don't think I've ever had to sleep for thirty minutes when recovering stamina.  More like five minutes, absolute max.

Would be interesting if there was some command where someone -could- force you awake, but there'd be a chance of you waking up like an angry bear and swinging at them.

Edited: typo

A lot of sleep issues vanished when the contact skill was maxed because most people would pass out from stun overload.

I don't like however that say I'm a 100/100hp guy and get bashed by a Mek and left at 20/100hp and somehow survive.

I now have to go find an area to sleep in for about fifteen minutes to miraculously come back from deaths door.

So in Asmoth's Arm, sleeping would be purely for stunned and exhausted, not miracle healing.

But that's just my view.

Quote from: Asmoth on January 13, 2016, 08:23:22 PM
A lot of sleep issues vanished when the contact skill was maxed because most people would pass out from stun overload.

I don't like however that say I'm a 100/100hp guy and get bashed by a Mek and left at 20/100hp and somehow survive.

I now have to go find an area to sleep in for about fifteen minutes to miraculously come back from deaths door.

So in Asmoth's Arm, sleeping would be purely for stunned and exhausted, not miracle healing.

But that's just my view.

...well.  If you get fucked up by a mek (or anything) to the point that you're losing 80% of your health, I wouldn't think you'd just sleep it off and play it as miraculously healed, just because you can sleep your way back to full health. 
I'd figure that you'd RP being at death's door because of a mek attacking you. :)

I don't know, I guess I'm just not overly bothered by the sleep code because it isn't all that inconvenient, at least in terms of the original situation presented, which was stamina regeneration.  If, as a last resort, I have to sleep to regain health, I usually only sleep until the point of being able to wake up, and then I RP the fact that I'm still fucked up...because the miraculous healing thing bothers me.
If I'm forced to sleep, I use the time to dream.  One of my most memorable (gut-wrenching) deaths had some notable dream moments, in and out of consciousness, before the eventual beep. *sigh*

I admit it's rare enough to make my statement hyperbole, but it does happen.

Here's the situation: You get stam-poisoned. Stam drops. You are a wounded, so you go to sleep. Commence 30 minute break from game.

OR

You're in the desert. You go to sleep, but forgot you had low stamina. You're in a storm and it's a hot day, your stamina goes up VERY SLOWLY. Commence 30 minute break from game.

But to be honest, even the 5-10 minutes for getting knocked unconscious is way to long itself. It's un-fun and unrealistic. The only possible purpose it serves is to let PC's do nefarious and dastardly things to the sleeping person. Which is easy to work around, you just knock them out again.

January 13, 2016, 09:26:24 PM #20 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:31:17 PM by Chettaman
Firstly, I can't be the only dood that sleeps every once in a while because it makes some sense.

So we have the problem. Any solutions?
First - deep sleep is forced at 50% -ish.

I propose accepting payment in the vividuan temple for healing.
Or maybe to a medic  who will accept payment for a good ole chance at bandaging. (one in every center of civilization)
bam. Sleep is no longer required to survive a mek bite and etc...

Add a need for sleep. How's that sound? Every few days you start falling asleep on accident and you either have to sleep or you keep falling asleep.
if you don't like that it could be a just drop in stats which can suck, but is definitely not as dangerous as falling asleep for even an instant in the gaj after a a code like this is implemented.

How come no one has stated how brilliant I am yet?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on January 13, 2016, 09:26:24 PM
Firstly, I can't be the only dood that sleeps every once in a while because it makes some sense.

So we have the problem. Any solutions?
First - deep sleep is forced at 50% -ish.

I propose accepting payment in the vividuan temple for healing.
Or maybe to a medic  who will accept payment for a good ole chance at bandaging. (one in every center of civilization)
bam. Sleep is no longer required to survive a mek bite and etc...

Add a need for sleep. How's that sound? Every few days you start falling asleep on accident and you either have to sleep or you keep falling asleep.
if you don't like that it could be a just drop in stats which can suck, but is definitely not as dangerous as falling asleep for even an instant in the gaj after a a code like this is implemented.

How come no one has stated how brilliant I am yet?

Obligatory poop code comment, before someone else does it.

January 13, 2016, 09:44:32 PM #22 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:48:19 PM by Chettaman
T~T
I don't wanna right up all that code... Can't a hero be lazy and expect someone just as qualified who /isn't/ lazy to do it?

... before I do it. I want someone with actual say-so to be like,
"Fuck yeah, chettabob. Fuckin' do it, my nig."

also, maybe more feedback. A meeting of minds in case my ideas aren't as good as they could be. I don't want imperfection! #gunnerblaster
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I like the sleep code just fine.

You don't always choose IRL to wake up instantly 2 hours after you sleep. If you are tired you oversleep.

I'd just like the code to be a little quicker in recovery when you get knocked out/pass out from stun drain via the Way.

I'd be okay if it'd bring you to +1 and leave you there until you sleep it off - at least that way, you could quit out, come back and sleep it off, without using quitOOC (does that even work if you're unconscious, with no HP loss?). I'd also like for the death code to be a tiny bit more OOCly helpful. So if I'm down to -1hps - and for whatever reason I go up 1, then down 2, then up 1, then down 1, and so on and so forth and I'm passed out and can't wake up and have no idea what's going on...

I could do something like - quitdeathtest and it'll give me the odds of surviving the next 10 minutes if I actually stayed in the game. I can then decide if I want to quit out/kill my character, or stay in and gamble on living through the ordeal.

This actually happened to me, I had to wish up to ask if anyone on staff could let me know if I had a chance at surviving. I was told that unless someone came to my rescue - not likely. So I let my PC die. I just didn't have OOC time available to wait -just in case- someone happened to show up. It was my call to make, but it was a more informed decision which I appreciated.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.