The Future of Quit

Started by Ender, January 08, 2016, 10:03:21 AM

January 08, 2016, 07:14:45 PM #75 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:17:21 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: ABoredLion on January 08, 2016, 07:10:51 PM
This was within the last year, I'll say. Which is why I'm not so sure about throwing out the full requests and such. But I could doctor out names/etc.

No, I definitely wouldn't spread a bunch of behind the scenes discussions with staff on the GDB.  Not appropriate.  I'm kinda surprised by this outcome though.  Maybe you died of dehydration because some bad ass Vivaduan who was guarding the water source came and sucked your character dry while you linkdead...  You should imagine that happen, just because it sounds way cooler.  :)

Protip though, I've had this happen to me, and I login to the game using my phone simply to type Quit OOC.  

Near word for word suggestion by staff. How quaint. But no, to be honest, at that point I didn't have a phone. And yes, best not to air it, even if it weren't a bad interaction. I tend toward not provoking the ministry, heh! I got over it in a day or two. They were kind enough to tell me how I died, at least, down to the minute(since technically I should have been there to see it, it'd be a bit retarded to not tell you how you died). So it's hard to hold any hate for a character back then, even though he was probably the strongest character I ever had. Moved on. And so they go. One death to the next.

I was playing recently from a hotel in San Diego because I saw some shit going down on the clan forums and thought, fuck it, vacation isn't that important when there's Arm to be had....  Ended up having to log off on my phone when the wifi in my hotel room went dead.  Fortunately, I restricted my play to sitting in a guarded room and talking.  If I had to go anywhere unsafe, I wouldn't have logged in for any reason.

The side discussion on being link-dead is off-topic. It suffices to say that you won't starve or dehydrate to death if you're already sated. if you're hungry or thirsty before you go link dead then you will suffer and eventually die from starvation/dehydration. Now let's stay on topic, please.

I made a thead here -- http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50387.0.html to continue that conversation if possible, and get it out of this thread.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: whitt on January 08, 2016, 11:15:56 AM

Better to modify Quit OOC so you can use it more than 1x in a row then to give every class Ranger quit.  It's my understanding staff gets notified of the use of Quit OOC (hence the reason required).  This is much easier to monitor for abuse than having to wait for the inevitable Player Complaints, dig through logs, burn time and energy contacting the "offending player", etc...

This is basically all we need.

I disagree everyone should get "ranger quit." I think that differentiating between an "IC quit" and an "OOC quit" should remain, so I like the current system requiring the argument of 'ooc' and a reason/explanation to get quit ability anywhere. After all, it makes sense for a character to "disappear" in a location like a crowd at the gate (already quit safe), a tavern, an apartment, or a guildhall, etc. That's where you no longer can interact with the PC for a time, because they have melded back into the Virtual world.

It doesn't make as much sense for a PC to suddenly "poof" in the middle of a canyon or in a dark alley.

Since what we're doing is telling stories, I like that stories typically start and end at certain places. The hero leaves the gates, has an adventure, and then eventually, returns. If the player has to stop roleplaying in the middle of the adventure, no problem; but require the player to notify the staff that they are stopping mid-story.

However, for there to be a limit of "one break per session" doesn't make much sense. I've definitely had to continue a scene for two quit ooc's before, maybe three at the most. At least making this rule a bit more lax would be a step in the right direction.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

if everyone were to get quit ooc maybe everyone but Rangers should have to log back on hungry and thirsty?

edit. or maybe just thirsty. water becomes valuable !
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

At some stage of starvation and dehydration, you still die if you go link dead, I believe. One of my paranoias.

Quote from: CodeMaster on January 09, 2016, 12:32:49 AM
if everyone were to get quit ooc maybe everyone but Rangers should have to log back on hungry and thirsty?

edit. or maybe just thirsty. water becomes valuable !

Still all for giving Rangers a few tentmaking options to build shelters. Increased HP/Stamina regen inside a shelter. Everyone has access to 3 Quit OOCs before needing to return to a quit-safe room to clear.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.