Surviving a Raid - tips and hints

Started by Lizzie, November 18, 2015, 09:17:29 AM

Quote from: Dar on November 19, 2015, 12:59:02 AM
Wtf is VagueBooking?

It's a term that comes from when people post purposefully vague status messages about their life situation on Facebook or other social media sites.  Usually as a passive aggressive way of getting attention and validation.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

okey. I've never seen that word before, but suddenly it's all over GDB.

Wtf is VagueBooking?

It instantly qualifies you for a 7.5 minimum on the Rustled and Jimmies (tm) Mad-Bro Scale.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

People complaining about being non-fatally raided.

okey. I've never seen that word before, but suddenly it's all over GDB.

Wtf is VagueBooking?

From what I understand it's when you put a status on facebook that is vague but negative, to get people to ask what's going on and draw attention. In terms of the GDB I understand it to be when you want to complain about a character/player/playstyle you do not agree with/enjoy/think is RPing well.

Here's a definition
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vaguebooking
3/21/16 Never Forget

So we all agree on what Vaguebooking is now, right? I'm not sure...

November 19, 2015, 06:05:32 PM #30 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:16:23 PM by nauta
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 19, 2015, 05:45:20 PM
So we all agree on what Vaguebooking is now, right? I'm not sure...

I'm not sure of the etymology or whatever, but around here I think it's when you discuss stuff that is happening in the game on the gdb in a vague way. Since there's an actual rule against discussing stuff happening in the game on the gdb, people have to be vague, and thus you get vague posts (which somehow turns into vaguebook because Facebook rules?  Dunno.)

Usually, it's to complain, and it was noted in a few reviews on mudconnect as a pretty big turn-off to at least some people.  As far as I know, there's no rule against it (according to Forum Rules).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm pretty sure that RGS is very sure what vaguebooking is and he was just making a funny because it was already explained and then explained again and again. :)

Err... weird. My post seems off now because I think some of the answers got moved or deleted. But I had previously explained the term, and so did someone else.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 19, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
Err... weird. My post seems off now because I think some of the answers got moved or deleted. But I had previously explained the term, and so did someone else.

Hehe.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Discussing things going on in-game vaguely is still discussing things going on in-game, so yes, "vaguebooking" is against forum rules when it's about IG matters.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

beg for your miserable life. if it was really beneath you, you wouldn't be in that position
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Nergal on November 19, 2015, 06:23:19 PM
Discussing things going on in-game vaguely is still discussing things going on in-game, so yes, "vaguebooking" is against forum rules when it's about IG matters.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Erm, there have only been three posts ON topic, including mine, which started the thread. I asked back on page 1 for the thread to be locked since no one wanted to actually talk about the topic. It was derailing into more of the same that was pushing the Random Arm topic and another one into just a bunch of negativity.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Eh, I've looked through this, and I say the issue is how to raid, not how to survive.

The answer to that also seems to be, "Announce yourself."  If you approach with socializing, you'll get socializing.  If you approach with code, you'll get code.  Seems pretty simple.

If anything, it seems raiders focusing on successful raiding killed raiding.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

A followup question might be how we can open more sociable exchanges between raiders and victims?

Shouting from one room away is a possibility but requires one-room proximity.

Using the Way is probably out if you want to keep your naked sdesc a secret.

shoot east far would be a cool way to announce a raid.  What if it became a common thing for a red-fletched arrow hitting the ground between someone's feet to signify a raid, like a jolly roger?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on November 21, 2015, 12:36:33 PM
shoot east far would be a cool way to announce a raid.  What if it became a common thing for a red-fletched arrow hitting the ground between someone's feet to signify a raid, like a jolly roger?
We did this a couple of times in the Red Fangs to announce ourselves and scare people. Was my own idea, and my own arrowcraft. =P Made for some pretty cool scenes. Random thought: I miss all my Red Fang crafts, they were so rockin. =(

Also I didn't read much beyond the OP and title of the thread, so sorry if I'm recapping anything people already said but here's my piece.

As for surviving a raid, if a raider doesn't open up the scene with a coded command. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though it's never been my preference or style, but if they take the time to RP a raid for you, be that holding you at spearpoint or whatever, chances are they're looking to make a scene enjoyable for both parties. Take it, enjoy it, it's 20x better than an automated npc gith 'raid' I assure you. Usually the players that take the time to run a raider want nothing more than to see the outside world come alive and be dangerous. I haven't seen or been targeted by a random straight-to-combat raid in probably 5 years and I think that says something about the playerbase. If a raider gives up coded advantage/surprise to give you a scene, be grateful. They've already done you and them both a solid. Your hearts pumping while you stare at the screen, wondering what direction it's going to go. Their hearts pumping as they stare at the screen wondering the same thing. It's moments like that which make the game great.

I'd like to think those that ran Red Fangs back in the glory days made being a victim of raiding pretty damn enjoyable. Nothing made me smile more than spying on some salters while they emoted trembling and taking turns on watch because they heard stories of us. As a point of pride in tribal docs we never raided to kill, the only kills were when someone made the mistake of attacking us. The less of an advantage you had on your 'prey' the more pride the elf won with the tribe. We'd go so far as to raid nearly nude with only a skinning blade in hand, just to show that's how scary we were. Of course we'd be ridiculed if the prey gave us the slip or whooped our ass. Man I miss it... good times, good times. #redfangfanboy

/rambling
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Aruven on December 16, 2015, 05:22:24 PM
Don't use the look command.

Don't tell the mul not to worry about your salting buddy escaping because what did he want with that sunback anyway, when clearly your beetle is the superior mount?

Quote from: 555 on December 16, 2015, 05:48:32 PM

Don't tell the mul not to worry about your salting buddy escaping because what did he want with that sunback anyway, when clearly your beetle is the superior mount?

If I am raiding, and I ride into a room and yell:

"Gimme yer feckin' sid!"

And the target; Doesn't look, doesn't talk, and strips down everything they have and drops it = I will take stuff and not kill them, and leave. We are talking about raiders specifically here.

If someone kills you after that evolution, they're a musty butt-hole in the sand and you had no chance anyways.
I also don't play anymore so you can't count on it being me. So maybe don't do this.

Quote from: CodeMaster on November 21, 2015, 12:36:33 PM
A followup question might be how we can open more sociable exchanges between raiders and victims?

Shouting from one room away is a possibility but requires one-room proximity.

Using the Way is probably out if you want to keep your naked sdesc a secret.

If someone had the time and interest in writing a How To Guide for playing a raider and it was nicely done, I would be surprised if the staff wouldn't put it up for general player consumption. Then good ideas like this would become more mainstream, instead of lost amid the clamor of the GDB.

If only we knew a good writer, CodeMaster, with an inventive yet clear turn of mind and an interest in such things.
"Hello, you fellows! You're the very animals I was coming to see! Come along! Hop up! We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road, the dusty highway. Come! I'll show you the world. Travel, change, excitement..!" -Wind in the Willows

Quote from: Aruven on December 17, 2015, 08:41:49 PM

"Gimme yer feckin' sid!"

And the target; Doesn't look, doesn't talk, and strips down everything they have and drops it = I will take stuff and not kill them, and leave. We are talking about raiders specifically here.

If someone kills you after that evolution, they're a musty butt-hole in the sand and you had no chance anyways.
I also don't play anymore so you can't count on it being me. So maybe don't do this.

Well, they didn't kill my PC, they damn near broke their neck with that mace, though. Good times, they didn't even take /everything/, kudos to that mul.

As a note with gith...you don't survive.  Unless you run.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on December 18, 2015, 01:57:22 PM
As a note with gith...you don't survive.  Unless you run.

Yes. You should run from Gith for sure... But that will be obvious by the arrows sticking from your torso, possibly heralded by war-drums.

How to survive a raid: Kill the raider.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Aruven on December 17, 2015, 08:41:49 PM

"Gimme yer feckin' sid!"

New here. Sorry for resurrecting, but I'm curious what people mean by 'not using look'. Do you mean don't look at 'the tall, red sandcloaked figure' who is speaking to you? It seems odd to me that you wouldn't even look at them. Staring/eyeballing is one thing, but simply looking at them seems like a normal response. I haven't been in many PvP/raiding scenarios, though. Is there a semi-OOC preference for raiders not to be the object of a 'look' command, treating it ICly as if they were being carefully stared at with disguise-penetrating eyeballs? Because people will try to play gear and desc games to 'out' people? Is it in fact a survival tip that when someone you don't know comes into the room with you but you suspect they might have hostile intent, not to use 'look' just in case they ARE hostile and will now want, semi-OOCly, to kill you before you can identify them?
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Raiders like to remain anonymous, the best way to do that is to make sure people don't see their main description. If a raider says don't look at me, and someone looks at them, the best way for a raider to maintain anonymity is to kill that person so they can't tell their story about how they got raided (accompanied with a description of the raider.)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA