At What Point Does Your Character Become Awesome?

Started by ibusoe, October 20, 2015, 01:47:54 PM

Armageddon staff seem to have somewhat of a fixation with the rags to riches story.

I tend not to criticize this trope.  If that's what the staff wants to see, I'm usually content to start my characters as a racist, ignorant, magic-fearing nobody nursing a spice addiction struggling to get established in a world where they have little relevant job experience, practically no money and are completely illiterate. 

My question is, how long does it take for a character to become awesome?

Quote from: Dresan on September 16, 2015, 12:33:04 PM
Right. I was saying it within the context of what I quoted though. As in 5 to 10 days isn't that 'quick' at all. Its actually a lot of fucking time to those of use with responsibility in our lives. That said, by the five to ten day mark, already excluding combat skills, some of my mundanes are beginning to reach the point where they can branch (of course some skills training quicker then others).  Again I'm someone who hasn't branched any of their mages anyways but I've heard some of them are maxed out by then. But I dunno. 

It could just be I don't train my characters as efficiently as others. :)

Quote from: Feco on September 16, 2015, 01:59:04 PM
I want to be careful and say that I don't think people who can put in a lot of time don't have responsibilities or something like that -- that wasn't my point.  I just don't think 240 hours is trivial *at all*, and I think our tendency to think in "days played" in way very particular to this community has really made it seem like mages are easier to play than they really are.

I don't mean from a coded perspective.  Plenty of players have suggested tweaks to the code for various race/class combinations in one direction or other, although I personally don't have any strong feelings on the matter.

I mean more in terms of the social impact of a character?  How long should it take until a character is feared or respected?

Quote from: ibusoe on October 20, 2015, 01:47:54 PM

I mean more in terms of the social impact of a character?  How long should it take until a character is feared or respected?

I've always wanted to play a con artist character that just convinced people they were important right out the gate. It'd take some serious brainstorming to figure out how to make it believable though.

So I guess my answer is "How well do you lie?"

I don't understand why there needs to be a "should" about it.

A character is feared and respected when they are feared and respected.  I don't think any other qualifications, time or otherwise, are necessary.

IMHO a character doesn't need to be feared or respected to be awesome... I think a character that's the opposite of that awesome, as well. I think a fleshed out character with shared experiences with other characters to reminisce on and learn from, as well as a complicated social network, contribute significantly more to awesome than coded skills.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I don't think you can really measure "awesomeness" by how feared or successful or codedly dangerous a PC is. I've seen plenty of codedly powerful PCs who could easily kill yours, and when they were around were given due consideration because of that, but I would never describe them as awesome.

An awesome PC is one that's fun to be around and play with (or against).

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 20, 2015, 02:58:56 PM
I don't think you can really measure "awesomeness" by how feared or successful or codedly dangerous a PC is. I've seen plenty of codedly powerful PCs who could easily kill yours, and when they were around were given due consideration because of that, but I would never describe them as awesome.

I agree with this.  Think of who you were playing with 3 years ago, those PCs that you actually remember, they were awesome.

Quote from: Refugee on October 20, 2015, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 20, 2015, 02:58:56 PM

I agree with this.  Think of who you were playing with 3 years ago, those PCs that you actually remember, they were awesome.

There were a LOT of those for me.

I don't really agree with the assessment that staff have a fixation on the "rags to riches" story.  If I'm reading the introductory paragraph correctly, I'd disagree with the rest, too.  There are plenty of awesome characters that fit most of the qualities that seem to be associated with "rags" in that bit.  They're ignorant, racist, magick-fearing, struggle with addictions, and are completely illiterate.  I could point to a handful right now that fit that mold.  I can point to more that are literate.  I can name others that weren't literate but were rich. 

What made them awesome was the fact that they were roleplayed well...or roleplayed well enough in certain situations that they stuck out.

As for feared and respected, Marauder Moe has the right of it.  Once someone is perceived as one who is feared and respected, they are feared and respected.  There are a multitude of routes to get there, though.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Where'd the idea that we like the rags to riches story come from?

Some of my favorite PCs were never wealthy or socially notable.

Quote from: Narf on October 20, 2015, 01:56:14 PM

I've always wanted to play a con artist character that just convinced people they were important right out the gate. It'd take some serious brainstorming to figure out how to make it believable though.

I've done this before once. I won't go into specifics because it hasn't been long enough, but it was really amusing to me to know that codedly I would get my butt kicked but fronting all the same. I must've done a good job. Then a poorly-timed climb check got me. lol

I know my pc is feared and respected usually somewhere between the third of fourth beep.  ;D

As to how long should it take to be feared and respected? There's no formula for that. Quick rise to power, slow rise to power, business deal nets you some powerful allies and weight. Then there are half-elves, they don't get respect cause they're gross.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

When you get kudos that's a pretty good sign you character is/was awesome. It means someone liked your character so much/how you played them that they actually took extra time to let you know anonymously that you were worth remembering to them.

That's pretty awesome in my opinion.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Being someone who loves character development, I would say it's when your PC starts having a real impact on the character development of others - but no, not through killing them. Really affecting how they think and change, as people.

A character doesn't become awesome to me because of what they achieve, or do.

A character becomes awesome to me when I feel like the character im roleplaying making waves and creating reactions within other characters. Making ties and creating a sense of story.

Quit worrying about playing awesome characters and just play characters.

The greatest characters are the ones you never hear of.

Or just people who die as day 2 warriors.

My question is, how long does it take for a character to become awesome?

It seems that for me, the standard is about seventeen seconds after the final appearance of the Mantis Head for my ex-PC.  Then? 

*stunned* 

"Krath... (s)he was glorious, wasn't (s)he?"
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Narf on October 20, 2015, 01:56:14 PM

The problem with this is that with the prevelance of the Funnel, next to the semi-complete absence of prominent NPCs, coupled with the dearth of staff support for roles like these means that pretty much everyone knows that you're blowing smoke. 

If noboy has heard of you, they know that you're either a noob or con-artist.  Effectively you're invisible.  You'd be lucky to be arrested as a con-artist.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 20, 2015, 02:07:48 PM
I don't understand why there needs to be a "should" about it.

There needs to be a should about it.  I was trying to put some numbers on things and wanted people's help.

For starters, understand that Armageddon is based in large part upon Dark Sun, which is based in large part upon Dungeons and Dragons.

I used to DM for Dungeons and Dragons, table-top.  Players wanted to see measureable progress for their characters as the game unfolded.  The rule books actually published standards for things like this, but I remebering liberalizing them by half a notch.  Following various tropes such as Star Wars (or Taran, etc.) , I'd usually start characters off as bumpkins or hayseeds from some remote village or other, which would explain why they were neigther extensively familiar with the countryside nor with the urban centers.  There would be exceptions for thieves, who would usually be somebodies cousin (from a neighboring city) and likewise for Ranger characters (who would have both traveled and hunted extensively). 
This was Level One.
The fighters were typically the strongest lad in the village, the mage the smartest and the most enterprising, and the cleric was the most pious, possessed of exceptionally strong judgement.  So everybody in the village knew them, but outside of the village, as they set off on their first quest to seek adventure in the land of Hyrule, they were out of their element.
Eventually they became more formidable, more knowlegeable and more renown.
By the time they hit level three, everyone in the valley had heard of them.  By then the characters, usually about three in my gaming group, had enough firepower to take out a troll which otherwise would have been quite a menace to the peasants and the villagers. 
By level ten, they would have been known as far the city.  They would no longer have to venture to find adventure.  People would come and petition them for help with things.  This was usually a blessing, although inevitably the bad guys got wise and began to resent the appirition of a powerful collective of do-gooders in the realm. 

Where I'm lost is figuring out how this translates to Armageddon. 

Say for example, if your character's brother was locked up, and you wanted him free.  As you approach the outer gate of the prison, the two guards snap to attention.  They watch you expectantly.  Halting at a safe distance, you call:

"I ask that you free my brother, and we won't have any trouble!"

You pull your sword for dramatic effect.

As a noob, the guards can spot that your sword grip is weak whilst you aim the blade.  They hear your voice cracking in fear.  They laugh.  They call back.  "Put that away before you get hurt.  If you wish to see your brother, hire a noble to write a petition to the Templarate.  Perhaps they shall grant you an audience."  They laugh at you, you're beneath their notice.

At level X, you look tough enough that they're actually intimidated.  They arrest you.  Oops.

At level Y, the guards are pretty intimidated of you.  One of them goes to fetch a Templar to hear you out.

At level Z, they're somewhat afraid of you.  They flee their post.

At level A, they're really afraid of you.  One hurries to fetch your brother before you loose your temper.

At level B, they're terrified and in awe.  They offer to fetch your brother for you, and then to join you on your quest!

My question is, how do you know when your character is at these levels? 

October 21, 2015, 02:17:59 AM #19 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:22:35 AM by Quell
It seems like as soon as you get to the point where you can do interesting things.

How long this takes depends on the interesting things you're aiming for. Killing mekillots would probably take a long time, but mastercrafting something spiffy doesn't really take a huge amount of playtime.

And then there's always goals that don't take stats or skills at all, though usually if they count as "awesome" they'll probably take some reputation. Getting a decent reputation might take a few months of regular play.

Just my guestimation.

Quote from: ibusoe on October 21, 2015, 02:02:55 AM
My question is, how do you know when your character is at these levels? 

Walk up to the guards and make your demand.  See what happens.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

The moment I receive that email with the words: Congratulations!  *Amos* has been approved for play at Armageddon MUD (armageddon.org [4050]).

True story.

Also, if you're playing a fme pc (regardless of gender) remember the Vicky Mendoza diagonal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agy6KOSwyA8
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I've had two awesome characters, because I still remember them for their sheer awesome, and others do too. One got kudos and the other got two kudos, an insane runner and an evil water witch respectively. I'll never have a character like that witch again.

October 21, 2015, 11:22:19 AM #23 Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:31:42 PM by ibusoe
Quote from: seidhr on October 20, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
Where'd the idea that we like the rags to riches story come from?

Some of my favorite PCs were never wealthy or socially notable.

This is probably yet another misconception that I have (veteran player) based upon learning the game quite a while ago.

Be honest, if you will.  It wouldn't bother you if I made a new character and starting waltzing around like I was the Grand Pimp of Allanak?

Quote from: Nyr on October 20, 2015, 03:26:28 PM
As for feared and respected, Marauder Moe has the right of it.  Once someone is perceived as one who is feared and respected, they are feared and respected.  There are a multitude of routes to get there, though.

This was kind of what I was afraid of.  To dramatize what I don't quite think you're saying, but still want to confirm anyway, is that the way to become popular is to attend the right parties, and the way to get into good parties is to be popular.  

Based upon everything else I know about the way that you run the game, I feel like that's not the case, but still if you would be good enough to elaborate it'd be much appreciated.

Quote from: Quell on October 21, 2015, 02:17:59 AM
It seems like as soon as you get to the point where you can do interesting things.

How long this takes depends on the interesting things you're aiming for. Killing mekillots would probably take a long time, but mastercrafting something spiffy doesn't really take a huge amount of playtime.

Honestly, that's a really good response.  Certainly somebody who can kill a mekillot is a bad ass, no one to be trifled with.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on October 21, 2015, 07:27:31 AM
I've had two awesome characters, because I still remember them for their sheer awesome, and others do too. One got kudos and the other got two kudos, an insane runner and an evil water witch respectively. I'll never have a character like that witch again.

On a completely unrelated note, the game needs more evil water witches.

Too much "fear", too little "respect", the two don't necessarily go hand in hand, but they would, if those damn roundears knew what was good for them.