Re: Ideas for Mundane Skills

Started by Delirium, August 26, 2015, 02:16:50 PM

August 28, 2015, 10:23:25 AM #50 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:27:44 AM by jhunter
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 26, 2015, 09:17:04 PM
No to parrying spells.
Yes to dodging and blocking some of them.

For blocking them, many of the spells that I would consider potentially "blockable" or "dodgeable" should destroy or severely damage the shield used.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

August 28, 2015, 10:30:39 AM #51 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:32:33 AM by jhunter
A "tumble" skill that if high enough can negate/reduce falling damage and bring one right back to their feet. It would also potentally work vs. a successful bash and the like to keep you on your feet after. (I think this should be guild/subguild specific now that I think about it a bit. Or everyone should have it to at least a minor degree but certain guilds should be able to master it.)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Every item in the game should be throwable.

Every. Item.

The head of the tall, muscular man flies in from the north and strikes you in the chest!

Maybe not every item... I'd base it on weight.

A stiff white feather flies in from the north and strikes you in the head!

I'll supply the ideas, you supply the wet blankets.

Blocking/dodging spells. Definately something someone who spent a couple years serving in the Arm of the dragon mitlia would know how to do since there is a quarter of elementalists to deal with. Kurac too probably.

Resting while hidding- Defiantely something someone who spent a few years with kadius/salarr would be able to do if they have the skills.

Some of these abilities are powerful, a bit too powerful to have everyone do, but just perfect as rewards for having done 4 year stints (6 RL Months of a human being's life) in certain clans (often with restrictive boring schedules) that would probably have the teachers to train you in such things. And then once you are done, you can take those skills with you somewhere else. You can't teach them, but you can go do someone cool with them somewhere else.

This encorages people to join clans, but also move on to other clans as well.

Anyways sorry, think my post was a bit of a derail.

Quote from: Dresan on August 28, 2015, 11:27:30 AM
Resting while hidding- Defiantely something someone who spent a few years with kadius/salarr would be able to do if they have the skills.

I'd say Delf Rangers specifically should/would be included into this list.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: shadeoux on August 28, 2015, 12:33:44 PM

Realistically, anyone who can hide can hide while resting. It's actually the best position to hide in.

A prone position which you can crawl very slowly while using. Maybe works with sneak, too.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 28, 2015, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: shadeoux on August 28, 2015, 12:33:44 PM

Realistically, anyone who can hide can hide while resting. It's actually the best position to hide in.

The difference is who can hide from a good pair of eyes while being prone and resting.

There is a difference between this guy:

AND THIS GUY:

One of them has a hide skill and unless you are a ranger with max scan (and perhaps not even then) you might still miss him.

Seriously there was a guy there hiding:

Skills to start a fight with an advantage!
Backstab: Start the fight with a bunch of damage. (would like it to have a very high chance of applying a poison)
Sap: Starts the fight with a bunch of stun damage. (would like it to prevent waying for short duration)
Hamstring: Starts the fight and causes opponent to move at sneak speed for a while, chance to also prevent fleeing. (minor damage)
Garrote: An action that when successful prevents the opponent from saying, talking, whispering, yelling, and casting for a short duration. (minor damage)
Pocket Sand (shashasha): Throw sand in the opponents eyes to start a fight, temporarily blinds.

Split these up between the various mundanes, as seen fit.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on August 28, 2015, 08:01:28 PM
Skills to start a fight with an advantage!
Backstab: Start the fight with a bunch of damage. (would like it to have a very high chance of applying a poison)
Sap: Starts the fight with a bunch of stun damage. (would like it to prevent waying for short duration)
Hamstring: Starts the fight and causes opponent to move at sneak speed for a while, chance to also prevent fleeing. (minor damage)
Garrote: An action that when successful prevents the opponent from saying, talking, whispering, yelling, and casting for a short duration. (minor damage)
Pocket Sand (shashasha): Throw sand in the opponents eyes to start a fight, temporarily blinds.

Split these up between the various mundanes, as seen fit.

These are all good

You forgot necksnap
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Craft-able poisons from existing poisons.

These poisons would be slightly more potent versions of the general poisons what you find out in the sands with greater chance of it actually applying. And also added utility poisons

A poison that makes a person weak. 
A poison that blinds
A poison that makes mounts confused and refuse to move and/or be mounted on

I wouldn't want to see moves that blind, or hamstring, but poisons that increase in potency based on you poison/poison-crafting skill.

I used to want more mundane ways to suppress psionics for kidnapping purposes, but on second thought I think kidnapping storylines wouldn't be fun for the person being kidnapped. It would feel just like being locked in a jail cell waiting for a templar to set up an RPT with you. For playibility's sake I'm anti-kidnapping.

Here are some things I would like to see:

• The ability to use ropes/ladders to make climbing without the skill doable.
  • Have way'ing be language based to make linguists more valued.
  • Masks that hide your mdesc.
  • Blindfolds.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 31, 2015, 04:47:41 AM
I used to want more mundane ways to suppress psionics for kidnapping purposes, but on second thought I think kidnapping storylines wouldn't be fun for the person being kidnapped. It would feel just like being locked in a jail cell waiting for a templar to set up an RPT with you. For playibility's sake I'm anti-kidnapping.

Here are some things I would like to see:

• The ability to use ropes/ladders to make climbing without the skill doable.
  • Have way'ing be language based to make linguists more valued.
  • Masks that hide your mdesc.
  • Blindfolds.

Blindfolds would make playing a blind samurai with maxed out blind-fighting viable.
In fact, that sounds kind of sick.
Imagine a blind warrior who has like, smoke bombs or something that temporarily obscures vision in an area? Then he rushes in and decimates people who can't see and are used to not being able to see.

I like a great many of these ideas. A great many.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I am down for so many of these, especially any which make creating a monk/ninja more viable. And I'd really love to find a way to kidnap people without their playing experience being severely hampered and reduced to mere waiting.

Perhaps blindfolds would help this, maybe a rope tying that allows you to bind people, but there is a chance they can struggle free. And if they have the rope tying skill (knot tying, whatever), then there's a bonus for them to undo the rope and break free.

I don't know. Is there anyway we can import Russellian physics into the game? Because I'd love to keep a mouthful of firebreather in my mouth until that fucker with a torch gets real nice and close. I'd also like to slowly chip away at a wall to produce a hole. And there are obviously tons of other things we keep our chars from thinking because while realistic, it's impossible.

Maybe thieves could get a crafting skill that allows them to turn shards of obsidian into forged coins, and if there skill is high enough, more forged coins than they're already worth.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

I was thinking about blindfolds in order to blindfold people when you want to take them to meet your sekrit boss or take them to your sekrit lair.

You guys are thinking about grinding blind fighting  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Try as I might, I was unable to find anecdotal evidence of a blind person emerging victorious over an able-bodied person. Some have hypothesized that grappling martial arts might even the playing field, but without rules and with various weapons figured in?  I'm going to say probably not.

But I felt like a terrible person while trying to figure out how to word that search.

Quote from: Taijan on August 31, 2015, 07:21:36 PM
Try as I might, I was unable to find anecdotal evidence of a blind person emerging victorious over an able-bodied person. Some have hypothesized that grappling martial arts might even the playing field, but without rules and with various weapons figured in?  I'm going to say probably not.

But I felt like a terrible person while trying to figure out how to word that search.

http://kickerdaily.com/blind-mma-fighter-takes-on-and-beats-sighted-opponents/

Sounds like a grappler, and not really blind though: "Lee Hoy says he sees the silhouettes of his sparring partners when they become nearer, but other than that, he mostly sees nothing."

If any kind of a ranged or one-hit-fatal weapon is involved, I'd imagine you're dead, no matter how much nijutsu you've studied.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Concentrate.

This skill would allow you to put more energy into one other skill you are currently executing.  It would give a bonus to succeed or hit, and also help speed up the learning of the skill (not sure how this would work as learning is based on failures).

It would significantly lower stun.                               Syntax: <concentrate>  <skill> 

Example Concentrate bludgeoning weapons or      Concentrate armor making

To turn it off:  Relax.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on August 31, 2015, 08:51:28 PM
Concentrate.

This skill would allow you to put more energy into one other skill you are currently executing.  It would give a bonus to succeed or hit, and also help speed up the learning of the skill (not sure how this would work as learning is based on failures).

It would significantly lower stun.                               Syntax: <concentrate>  <skill> 

Example Concentrate bludgeoning weapons or      Concentrate armor making

To turn it off:  Relax.

This looks very good. However, I think dwarves could get a huge buff to this because they're so driven. A 'mini-focus' as you would. The only drawback to having better succeed/hit is that you cannot 'relax' whenever you need to, and that it would have almost a timer on it.
Half-giants should have a nerfed version of this due to it being hard for them to concentrate, but it should increase their rate of learning just as much.