Re: Ideas for Mundane Skills

Started by Delirium, August 26, 2015, 02:16:50 PM

I love how all the ideas for mundane skills revolve around magick  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Magick as coded is extremely flexible and lets you accomplish several things that mundanes should be, but aren't, able to do with the code.

If that was fixed, with realistic levels of difficulty and flexibility added in, mundanes would be more attractive to play in a lot of ways.

Of course, mages should still be able to do insane things and do their other tricks better, faster, with more ease and power, because fuck you, it's magick.

Quote from: AdamBlue on October 03, 2015, 05:42:35 AM
You feel strangely hot; Your brow is sweating, you're quivering. There's something inside you trying to get out. Let it out?
>Manifest
You let go, and suddenly, you temporarily burst into flames, your mind flooding with mana, sending you into spasms of arcane origin!
>Ignore
You cull the feeling in your body, and it fades back into nothing. You feel normal again.
(WAIT 30 MINUTES WITHOUT MANIFESTING)
The strange feeling fades away.

----
Give a 1/50,000 chance for every character every IG year to get a 'strange feeling'.
If they choose to Manifest, they receive a /random/ elemental affinity (with higher karma elements having lower and lower chances of manifesting) while retaining their current skills, but at the cost of causing a massive echo and, of course, becoming a magicker.
Make the chance even -lower- if the character is long lived, and more hours played = less of a chance of getting a Strange Feeling, with eventually being unable to manifest whatsoever at 30 days played. This is to prevent someone who is already incredibly powerful (combat, wealth, or power related) from becoming overwhelmingly, gamebreakingly strong.
However, the skills they receive, since they're already trained as both a guild and subguild, could never get above a certain level as determined by their wisdom, capping out at Journeyman no matter what to prevent someone from becoming -too- OP as a character.

Let Luck decide. Playing a throw-away 'rinth rat? Suddenly, strange feeling. Manifest. Suddenly, you're a Krathi warrior/thief with infinite possibilities.

Seems like a pretty convoluted way to do this.  Just special app that you want to play a normal mundane character, and at some point in the future, the staff make you manifest into a random element.  Done.  Simple app, and they can tweak your skills as needed if they're worried about balance.

Having to wait an average of 5000 RL years to have this happen to one of your characters, or having it happen to ANY character maybe once every ~5 years or so...seems like a complete waste of time to automate.

I've played several unmanifested magickers. Two of which multiple IG years without manifesting.
It is a great way to go, and really understand how magick can affect relationships.

Playing an unmanifested gick with only a normal subguild can make you want to rip your hair out,
and I supported this idea back when it was our only option.
That said, I think extended subguilds make this a viable option for play without making it automated.
I would hate to see people storing because of something like this.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.