Re: Ideas for Mundane Skills

Started by Delirium, August 26, 2015, 02:16:50 PM

Make it so you can't see people who are 'sitting' or 'resting' if they are 3 rooms away in outdoor rooms, even in clear weather.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

-an extension of 'hide' to be able to camouflage/hide others, in your area of specialization.  I.e. A ranger hiding their mount, or an elf telling their warrior buddy to stay put.  With no sneak, they can't move without coming unhidden.

Quote from: Delirium on August 26, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
Actually, I would like to see dodge and block rolls for aggressive spells and creature scripts.

I actually think the shield block is far more pertinent to blocking spell effects.  Parrying a spell seems very meh.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yeah, I think Badskeelz was being tongue in cheek, but I like the idea of being able to dodge or block them. Parrying a fireball would be a bit... silly.

Dodging one or hiding behind your shield wouldn't. Should definitely damage the shield and make it less effective, though.

Straight up pathfinder or D&D-style rules to save for half damage for area effects would be cool too.

You hurl a fireball at the lanky, yellow-brown gith.
The lanky, yellow-brown gith dodges aside, avoiding the worst of the flames!

more ideas:

- Dig pits in arable areas for a chance at a small "muddy water" pool that disappears within a couple in-game hours. Linked to forage food maybe.
- The ability to hide items in an area with the hide skill, and reveal them with a search skill.
- A contraption that lets you purify muddy water to grey water, and grey water to clear water, using the brew skill.

-Rename watch 'awareness', but maintain the same syntax.  Expand on more things to be 'noticed' and give it synergy with other skills, such as noticing doors opening and closing nearby or that they were opened/closed recently, that there are fresh tracks nearby, there are conversations going on in the next room (that listen won't overhear, but you know they're talking), etc.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

A whole set of crafting skills for building structures (walls and single-roomed hovels up to towers and minor forts).

August 26, 2015, 06:42:50 PM #30 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:47:07 PM by Dresan
I would love to see more functionality with blind fighting.

For example:

Bad weather should have a much greater negative effect on combat-blindfighting should mitigate this negative effect.
Fighitng at night(even if you have a light source) should have negative effect on combat-blindfighting should mitigate this as well

I would also love to see a combination of blind fighting/direction sense increase visibilty both a night and during storms. For example: A storm is so bad, someone untrained can't see beyond one room, but someone who has alot of experience can manage to make some things out still two rooms away.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 26, 2015, 03:45:43 PM
Assassins could get pouches of ground glass/obsidian that they can expend to fling into someone's eyes.

I love it.  I would forego the pouch and just let anyone do it in outdoors rooms where you can use the bury command (indicating loose soil).  Even if it just gave you a tiny and temporary boost to the 'flee' skill... even if it did nothing it would add so much flavor.  You can always emote these things, but it's so much less jarring to let the game roll the dice for you.

Quote from: LauraMars on August 26, 2015, 04:11:09 PM
And ladders.  For fuck's sake, ladders.

Adding any scaffolding :) to the code around climb would be really cool.  Something similar to the tent code where you can "unroll" your length of rope and it helps everyone in the room with their climb check or something like that would be cool.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

No to parrying spells.
Yes to dodging and blocking some of them.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

A 'falling' a ability that branches when you've hit journeyman climb that allows you to take less damage after a fall due to experience, or mitigate the damage completely.
A grappling system branched from 'subdue' that allows someone to grab a foe mid-combat to slow him down and make him easier to hit. Example: Two halflings holding onto a half-giant's arms while a third one goes for the kill at the throat / A group of runners swarm a bahamet in order to try and let Swaggsy McSarge get a vital hit in.

BARE HANDED COMBAT SKILL.
SKILLS BRANCHED FROM BARE HANDED COMBAT SKILL LIKE THROWS, HE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED GRAPPLES, AND MORE POWERFUL VERSIONS OF KICKS.

i've always wanted a more versatile subdue command. Subdue is fun, throwing people is fun, would be nice to be able to down someone.

Subdue dude
You subdue a dude

a dude struggles in vain against you

pin dude

You wrestle the dude to the ground, pinning him! (switches target to sitting/resting)
or
The dude resists your efforts to pin him!
or maybe even!
The dude reverses your attempt at pinning him and you're brought down instead!

choke dude

Applying some pressure you choke the dude (-stun depending on skillchecks)
or
The dude resists your efforts to choke him!

twist dude

You apply some pressure to arm/leg of the dude and inflict some pain (hp/stun damage depending on skillcheck)
or
Despite your efforts you're unable to apply painful pressure to the dude
or
The dude escapes your hold and takes control, subduing you!

The dude subdues you despite your attempts to struggle away!
Reverse
You reverse the manuever and now you're subduing the dude!

I just imagine this would make wrestling matches actually fun in the game. I can totally see this playing out in an entertaining fashion.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 26, 2015, 09:17:04 PM
No to parrying spells.

If we're going to do this, then mages should get some degree of weapon skills and parry too.

Quote from: Eyeball on August 27, 2015, 06:03:51 AM
No to parrying spells.

If we're going to do this, then mages should get some degree of weapon skills and parry too.

Available through subguilds.  And no.  This is the balancing action, not something throwing it out of balance.

August 27, 2015, 06:34:32 AM #37 Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:38:15 AM by Eyeball
Quote from: Armaddict on August 27, 2015, 06:13:09 AM
Quote from: Eyeball on August 27, 2015, 06:03:51 AM
No to parrying spells.

Available through subguilds.  And no.  This is the balancing action, not something throwing it out of balance.

Oh, it's balancing? Is that what we're trying to do now? Let's nerf half-giant bash and subdue and assassin backstab and ranger archery and stealthies' total immunity to all detection with the right gear and make soldiers misunderstand templars' orders every fourth time while we're at it then.

August 27, 2015, 07:25:59 AM #38 Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:33:37 AM by Armaddict
edited:   Meh, not going to get mired in a debate that doesn't even belong in the thread in the first place.  I liked the shield block idea because it's real and makes sense and fits the scope of the thread.  That is all.

Along with the caltrops thing, allow people to toss marbles into a room for a good chance to make anyone heading through topple over.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Half-giants able to equip generally anything as a weapon.
Tree logs? Weapon.
Corpses? Weapon.
Small wagon? Weapon.
Cute gortok? Weapon.
Your grandmother's ashes? Weapon.

More wrestling/grappling skills sounds fun.

The ability to rest while hidden.

When I hide I'm not usually doing pushups anyways.

The ability to hunt without becoming unhidden.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'd ammend that to

- can hide while hidden, but people scanning for you get a bonus to their skillcheck when they look for you.

Max hide with camo gear might as well be renamed 'invisibility on steroids'.

Much like you have a negative to scan when sitting/resting.

No to parrying spells.

+1

Also, this ability should go up the more mundanely badass your PC is in general.

A 50 day warrior should get higher "will saves" and "reflex saves" to either resisting spells or dodging/blocking spells than a 1 day warrior.

(May already be this way too. I don't claim to know. I'm just saying if it isn't, I would like it to be.)

Quote from: Delirium on August 27, 2015, 05:06:03 PM
- can hide while hidden

Why didn't I think of that?  :P
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Delirium on August 27, 2015, 05:06:03 PM
I'd ammend that to

- can hide while hidden resting, but people scanning for you get a bonus to their skillcheck when they look for you.

Agree.

August 28, 2015, 12:03:38 AM #47 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:09:23 AM by Dresan
Once again not so much skills but things I wish mundanes could do:

You should be able to sniff spice while hiding. Mind you, never actually tested to see if you can or can't currently as it is.

On that note crossbow that you hold with two hands, that can dual as a weapon...AND that doesn't echo that you are aiming at someone/something IF you are hiding. You only pop out after you shoot some fucker in the face before smacking him with your crossbow.

As a blunt object, sure - I'm with that. Actually, anything you can hold should double as a weapon, but that would get complicated unless the code simply asked:
- is this a weapon object?
- if no, get weight, get material. Weight X material = blunt damage.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 28, 2015, 10:13:37 AM
As a blunt object, sure - I'm with that. Actually, anything you can hold should double as a weapon, but that would get complicated unless the code simply asked:
- is this a weapon object?
- if no, get weight, get material. Weight X material = blunt damage.

I love this. I've often wanted to smack someone upside the head with a crossbow. Too much Dwarf Fortress.