The Deathblow

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, August 06, 2015, 12:41:35 AM

What do you think of the final blow concept?

Yes, PCs and NPCs
8 (25.8%)
Yes, PCs.
4 (12.9%)
Yes, NPCs.
3 (9.7%)
Yes, but ...
1 (3.2%)
No.
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

I posted this idea in another thread, but I want to run a poll now, and get some more focused thoughts regarding it.

Basically, I'd like no PC on PC death to be accidental. I'd like you to have to type 'kill PC' again, to kill them. Mercy on doesn't do this, by the way. It simply withholds a blow that would take the remaining HP from your victim, but often times that means that the victim is still up and fighting. And it has it's place, but this is an area where I think we can add a feature.

This change might create a lot more long termed conflict. I for one would leave anybody I didn't consider a threat alive, and it would make mugging easier to conduct without killing the victim. Mind you, I don't want to eliminate PKs. I want a fool proof way for you to not kill someone, but rather,  incapacitate them.

This isn't for realism's sake - it's for playability's sake.

There's an arguement to be made for extending this reasoning to NPCs, too. It could be a flagged behavior, for the creature to be a "killer', for instance.

How this would basically work is that a blow that currently would send you below -10 hp and kill you, would become a blow that put you at -5 hp. To kill whatever you put down, would either require a PC to type in "kill rangy.man" again, or perhaps a different command, like "deathblow rangy.man", or what have you. An NPC would need the "killer" flag to kill you. For instance, gith would have this flag, and beasts that eat meat would have this flag, but a tregil wouldn't, and a duskhorn probably wouldn't (though a bull would), and you could make raider NPCs that didn't kill you, but robbed you. NPC soldiers wouldn't have this flag either, I mean, unless you're in Red Storm or Luir's or ... uh, anywhere but Allanak ... ? Heh.

This creates a couple of solutions for existing issues. One, sometimes you don't sap people too well, or know how to handle a hammer, and you want to play the mugger. This solves that. Sometimes, there's issues where without this, resurrection is your only recourse. This solves that. Sometimes you just don't want to kill people - you want to hurt them, and make them talk, and ... this solves that.

This wouldn't change the rules for PK. This wouldn't add any softness to the game, if you ask me. I think it would actually add a little more danger, for a couple of reasons. First, now people who might not have attacked you before because they didn't want to kill you, can do that that. Two, now they can capture you - yeah, fun is had with "we need the info's" scenarios. Three, spice smuggling issues disappear, and there's no need to rework crim code to do this. More PC on PC interaction is to be had with criminals, and hey, more criminals who live to tell the tale. If you forgot to put on no-save arrest, well, you still get arrested. Only now, some other criminal might be in there with your beaten body, robbing you. More rivalries get extended, going beyond the somebody dies scenario. Less plots fall through, because the person running them died when the person inflicting death on them might have liked to not do that.

Oh, and suddenly, having a medic character around becomes about ninty times more valuable. And what ... do I hear longer stories for beloved characters?

Well, that's the idea. What are we thinking?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Usually when I'm killing someone with mercy, I don't apply a deathblow. The combat stops. Even with mercy off, if a blow knocks them out, the code doesn't immediately take another shot (unless it was the first of the two in a dual-wield attack).

You DO have to type kill again, usually.

third tier branch handjob > blowjob > deathblow

> deathblow amos

You attempt to suck the life out of amos, but slip and blow yourself up!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

As it is now you have to kind of build your PC around not killing people. It takes some effort and direction, but it's very much doable with most guilds with no real sacrifice in the playability of the character. You just have to care about leaving victims alive.

Adding this would make characters that actually put effort into developing those skills kind of pointless.

Quote from: Saellyn on August 06, 2015, 12:48:43 AM
Usually when I'm killing someone with mercy, I don't apply a deathblow. The combat stops. Even with mercy off, if a blow knocks them out, the code doesn't immediately take another shot (unless it was the first of the two in a dual-wield attack).

You DO have to type kill again, usually.

I guess 7d was talking about situations where you have 30 hp and a half-giant or dwarf hits you for 50 hp.

High strength doesn't have very many drawbacks, but this is one of them. :)  I feel like such a change would devalue a skill like sap, though, whose entire purpose is the nonfatal KO blow.  Otherwise why would anyone learn to sap when they could just be a high-strength dwarf with blow of death at their disposal?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I don't see how sap would be undervalued, since for anyone not having sap, getting a victim to that point would require combat, which quite often allows the victim time to flee. Sap would still be the fastest way to lay a victim low, by far.

And yes, I'm talking about times when a blow would take off enough hp to kill you. For instance, once, long ago, I played a dwarf. He took a trip across the known, and twice during that trip, he got down to 1 hp. Twice. Weirdest thing ever. If something had hit me or bit me solidly, or even done more than graze me, I would have died. This idea would cause that killing blow to become an incapacitating blow.

Sap requires a choice of class or sub-class. And yes, there are other ways to subdue somebody, but I'd like to see the actual killing of somebody's character require that final command. As I said, I feel like it opens up many avenues that currently are not available, as well as solve a few other issues that have long plagued us, such as code quirks, spice smuggling failures, forgetting you have spice, forgetting you have no save arrest off, the fatal mistake and over-reaching finality of the law for a pick-pocket character, etc ... I guess I like the idea of creating longer stories, cooler death scenes, mobs with new purposes, and solutions to accidents, like sparring and lag.

August 06, 2015, 02:14:59 AM #6 Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:18:15 AM by CodeMaster
To be fair, my comment was a nitpick -- to show that this kind of change would empower high-strength characters by removing the element of risk associated with their otherwise frightening power.

"Make no mistake.  I want him alive..."

"Duhhh okay!  No problem boss!"
The monstrous half-giant with a dent in his head brandishes his man-sized axe.

Everything else in your post reads fine to me. :)

edit:
https://youtu.be/U7a0IkBVZdo

Bludgeoning someone with a rock, or cutting someone with a jagged piece of bone is not a precise art. I like it the way it is. There should be a fine line between life and death that's difficult to discern in combat. Accidental death sparring makes sense, so does killing someone you actually meant to merely incapacitate with an obsidian dagger. 

I disagree with roughneck and agree with 7D.

I think instant/accidental death is OK.  Though I don't think I'd care/complain if things were otherwise.  Mercy triggering on an opponent who's still fighting is indeed kinda silly.

I definitely do think the near-death states could be revised.  There should be a range before unconsciousness where you're unable to fight move but still fully aware and able to talk, emote, and do inventory stuff.

Voted yes, but only for NPCs because random NPC death can break storyline and lose new players.  Finding a poor, dying, grebber out in the sands can create story.  However after some time even those folks (and critters) left mortally wounded need to wind up dead.  Truly nasty or hungry NPCs can be flagged "killer" the code will take care of the extra command entry.

The problem with this happening for PCs is that it means every player knows, without a doubt, that any time one player killed another it was entirely blatant.  That means the "no sergeant, it was a sparring accident" type of MCB is gone.  The "I didn't mean to kill them" defense holds no water.  While you may be protecting some player players from accidental death at the hands of other players, you're forcing an extra command and a intentional act on far more players.

Getting into a fight should be a life or death thing.  Sparring is generally safe, but there is the chance of death every time.  With this, there isn't.  Why not spar that giant?  You literally can not die.  Or more to the point, there might be a risk to your life, but only if the other person you're sparring is actively trying to kill you.  And everyone will know.  I'm sure RL folks wish they had this superpower.  Just unload your clip on someone and then no blood loss or potential for over-reaction, just let them sleep it off.  No thank you.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Just as a note, mortally wounded people do indeed often bleed out and just die. During such a time, you can also type 'quit die' to end that suffering faster.

OOCly knowing the other player's intentions and knowing there wasn't an accident in such a case is a good point. I don't know that that matters to me, but I can see how it could effect others.

And I'll note that this isn't to counter the life and death struggle thing. It's for playability's sake - for extending the stories of our characters. It's not a realistic feature. I'll freely admit that.

I was under the impression that "mercy on" effectiveness is linked to the PC's skill with whatever weapon they're using.

That is, even if you ordinarily land 50hp+ bombs to the head and neck, if you're at (master) level and taking a shot on someone with 5 hp, you'll only hit them for 14.

If that's the way it works, it's basically fine with me.  It should take some modicum of skill and/or experience to be able to wreck someone -just enough- to incapacitate them, but not enough to kill them.

P.S.  The "accidental sparring death" argument is stupid.  Dying in sparring is either a) a legitimate stupid accident or b) someone metagaming the code as a shitty excuse for a lame PK.  If I ever play a Sarge, all sparring deaths will be punished by summary execution.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Add an optional feature for people who really don't want to risk killing someone, I'd support it. But whitt pretty much voiced my concerns with making it a mandatory across the board thing.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Why are accidental sparring deaths stupid? They're frustrating as the player, yes, but I think some pretty serious accidents make sense if you have a bunch of trained killers beating the hell out of each other with blunted weapons every single day.

I can kind of see the argument that it's simply too inglorious of a way for PCs to die.  Just like dysentery, infection, wagon accidents, cancer, choking, and drug/alcohol induced unconscious vomiting.

Hey now, I had a PC die of cancer and I thought it was the perfect way for that story to end.

Quote from: roughneck on August 06, 2015, 11:28:55 AM
Why are accidental sparring deaths stupid? They're frustrating as the player, yes, but I think some pretty serious accidents make sense if you have a bunch of trained killers beating the hell out of each other with blunted weapons every single day.

It's always due to stupidity, but people kill and maim each other in wrestling and other grappling arts with some frequency (typically neck injuries).  I can only imagine what would happen if 10-pound "training swords" were involved.

Heh.  On my firstish PC, one of my recruits apparently killed a PC slave (very expensive) in a sparring accident.  It was the first time staff animated for me (other than the kankfly), but if I recall it was mostly to have the other corporal in the clan sit around with me while I freaked out about what to fucking do and how to tell my boss that his precious multiple tens of thousands of sid toy just got killed in a sparring accident.  It was fun times.

It did generate a lot of plots, though.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I like this idea. Maybe make it toggleable. Turned off by default. So when it comes to a killing blow you automatically take it without having to enter "kill <target>" to finish them off. But with it enabled, you would have to enter "kill <target>" again to finish them.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

But then how will I 'accidently' kill that other Runner in the circle?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Same way you do now, everyone just assumes that despite getting told 10 times, you just "forgot" to turn mercy on.  ;)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

but mercy off make u hit harder an win???