The Deathblow

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, August 06, 2015, 12:41:35 AM

What do you think of the final blow concept?

Yes, PCs and NPCs
8 (25.8%)
Yes, PCs.
4 (12.9%)
Yes, NPCs.
3 (9.7%)
Yes, but ...
1 (3.2%)
No.
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

I would like to spar against a master swordsman without immediate evisceration pls.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Try having him not use a sword.

If he's an actual master swordsman, that's not really gonna make a difference...

This concept seems really clunky during large scale conflicts.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 07, 2015, 05:03:59 AM
This concept seems really clunky during large scale conflicts.

... why? I'm not questioning you to be an ass, I'm curious. Back during the days, one would stride the field afterwards, finishing off their foes. I could see this happening with this command. You could save the leader, finish off his followers, have last word moments.

"Bind his wound. I'd hear who sent him, Jicks." " Yes, Lord Templar." "Kill the rest."
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't think the people left bleeding out on the battlefield were left that way intentionally  ;)

I think the scenario you just described is already something represented with the mortal wounds thing?

I think there should be an "actually mortally wounded" level of injury that you'd linger in for a bit that will kill you without magickal assistance.

Quote from: Mordiggian on August 07, 2015, 08:47:28 AM
I don't think the people left bleeding out on the battlefield were left that way intentionally  ;)

I think the scenario you just described is already something represented with the mortal wounds thing?

You're right, it wasn't on purpose. But once someone is down, you don't worry about them until you have time. Here's the thing, really. While being killed in game is all well and good, the way it happens in terms of ... the time between up and at them and down and dead is terrible. If at, say, thirty HP, you could no longer fight or walk a room, but could do everything else, and mercy called a halt in that 30 hp area, alright. I could live with that. But right now, you have to take your foe down to -0 hp, or they can still run and fight and ... do more than lay there bleeding to death.

There needs to be a 20-30 hp area where you are awake, but incapacitated, where mercy withholds the killing blow. A blow to you in this state should be a death blow, unless the attacker is unarmed.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 07, 2015, 10:25:24 AM

You're right, it wasn't on purpose. But once someone is down, you don't worry about them until you have time. Here's the thing, really. While being killed in game is all well and good, the way it happens in terms of ... the time between up and at them and down and dead is terrible. If at, say, thirty HP, you could no longer fight or walk a room, but could do everything else, and mercy called a halt in that 30 hp area, alright. I could live with that. But right now, you have to take your foe down to -0 hp, or they can still run and fight and ... do more than lay there bleeding to death.

There needs to be a 20-30 hp area where you are awake, but incapacitated, where mercy withholds the killing blow. A blow to you in this state should be a death blow, unless the attacker is unarmed.

Dorf spotted. Although, this would give new reason for prioritizing endurance, even though there's a lot of reason to do that.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 07, 2015, 10:25:24 AM

I get what you're saying but would prefer the 0 to -10 range to serve that purpose. You can see and talk and emote but little else.

No, see, that's the thing. There's a state, or should be, where you should be oblivious. Let's call it that negative range, 0 - -10. Well, leave that. That's real. Add another state, 1 -10, where you can't fight or walk, but you can bandage yourself, get things from your pack, use the way, talk, etc. Let mercy stop in that range of 10 to -10, then.

I'm cool with that. 20-30 is way too high though.

I like this idea. I voted yes regardless of what I am going to argue here.

- If you allow no insta-gib, then a dwarf with a Massive, jade-inlaid, sun-patterned trident of doom will have a better chance of koing a person then my team of two elves, who will distract and sap the person and carry them off. That ruins any use to us and would make us sad.

- You send in your humans with small clubs and elves to ko a person, you send in HGs to spray blood on everyone's nicest armor they broke out for the HRPT (bastards) When I have a HG in my group I expect to tell him to please stay the @#$% calm until we tell him to fight, because when he attacks most everything instantly dies. That is the point though, that is half the fun of playing as/with/against a HG in a brutal permadeath game

An option is change set mercy so that it also makes an insta-gib attack display some 'pulled strike' message and only do partial damage. This would make the weapon still dangerous to use when trying not to kill the person, instead it would be a display of "I could have just killed you" and that gives the other person the option to disengage. It will still do a little damage though, because again, you don't send the captain of the guard with a massive, two handed broadsword to ko the Jake bleeding out in the courtyard. That strike will still do some small amount of dmg.

Depending how hard it is to put in to the game, I would go so far as make each strike only have a chance of being pulled depending how much damage it would have done. That way you still try to use a non-lethal weapon when trying to be non-lethal.

That is just one option. Another that I saw someone type above, is allow the 0-10 range keep you awake and able to speak or have a chance of keeping you awake. I like the uncertainty of a chance. Make it based on their con and current hp. Use the concept of not getting a psi because you are drunk, and make it so you only get some of the says happening around you and only make some of yours work. Blur out a person's sdesc a large part of the time when they emote/speak/ect.
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.